Author Topic: Killing a campaign?  (Read 2080 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Killing a campaign?
« on: June 28, 2005, 10:38:40 PM »
So what do people think about killing a campaign? Not because players have left (though some have), just because the gm isn't sure where to take it and has lost some interest. When do you know it's time to just let things end?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: Killing a campaign?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 01:20:32 AM »
If the GM isn't excited about it, the campaign should end.  Otherwise everyone suffers.  Trust me, I've been that GM.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 02:12:31 AM »
me too... if the GM isnt having fun no one will.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 03:28:42 AM »
Is this any particular campaign we are talking about?
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 04:14:49 AM »
I think it actually applies to every campaign.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 04:19:18 AM »
Every time my current group has finished a campaign was by people getting tired of it, we've actually never saved the world from impending doom because we get bored to easily.  Well maybe not easily since most of these campaigns were about a year long.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 05:01:14 AM »
Every campaign?  So you mean like how are you supposed to end a campaign?  Well basically if you have ever read a book or watched a movie.  You put in that thing called a climax and there you go.  Then you do this thing called a coda and say The End.  Then maybe you ask the players what they liked and didn't like so you can learn what you did right and wrong.

If we are just talking about a game you are sick of.  If you are a player, then I think at least 50% of the time it is cause they are sick of their character.  So just make a new one and get on with it.  If its the DM then they just say I'm sick of this and let someone else run a game.  Then let them boil over stuff for a half year and come up with something new.  Cause judging from our group, like basically everyone has wanted to do some kind of character or campaign they wanted to "try out" and then a few sessions later got bored with it and felt stuck.  So if you're talking about one of our campaigns, I think that is the main problem there.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 05:05:30 AM »
I was just saying that a GM can get bored with any campaign.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 05:24:57 AM »
Yeah that is true, I've seen many a campaign just 'end' cause someone got bored (not always even the DM).  but I was asking 42 if this was just a general question or if he brought it up because of one of our campaigns.  Like if he was thinking of ending our OA game, or maybe because of us ending our game of evil characters.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 09:30:00 AM »
Any campaign ends when you, by fair means or foul, manage to overcome Tiamat's a) magic resistance, and b) saving through in order to kill her on your first shot with an arrow of slaying.

Not that I'm speaking from personal experience, or anything.