Author Topic: WFRP 2nd  (Read 6368 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
WFRP 2nd
« on: April 08, 2005, 09:39:36 PM »
Out of curiosity, is anyone planning on doing a review of WFRP 2nd Edition (recently released by Black Industries)?

As a fan of the 1st edition (minus the magic system, which has been completely reworked in the 2nd), I'll probably get it sooner or later.  I'd like to see what the Time Wasters have to say about it, though.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: WFRP 2nd
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 11:46:07 PM »
All the folks talking about it over at RPG.net say it's an excellent update.  I'm a fan of the first edition, but I just don't see myself ever running it so I doubt I'll pick it up.

Apparently, very well done.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 12:38:45 AM »
Yeah, I've not seen it yet (apart from the previews), but it looks like it's fixed all the old flaws, looks way cooler, and is just generally awesome.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 12:40:04 AM »
I always liked the career system and it sounds like they've made that even better.

Plus, now being a spellcaster is dangerous!  Like possibly being sucked into the chaos realms after casting a spell dangerous.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 12:43:12 AM »
And Spellcasting now is all college based (cool stuff), Divine magic has its own spells (yay again!), ingredients are optional (more yay!) and it's got winds of magic stuff!

And Wizards don't suck anymore!  (though, actually, I never thought they were that useless.  Academics are inherently useful.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 12:15:11 PM »
I used to play first edition in High School. I'd love to try out the new one.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 08:03:27 PM »
Yeah, I broke down and got it.  Another pre-Boards gift (last set ever tomorrow!).

It's beautiful.  I'm hooked. Again.

I'll field any questions if anyone has any.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 08:24:52 PM »
I've got the mainbook, plundered vaults (the adventure compo), the GM screen and the Bestiary. Also, the Blood on the Reik book by GW, a empire background book basically.

Only read the first two so far but they are excellent. The corebook is beautiful, with simple but good rules and a magic system that truly feels warhammerish. I plan to start reviewing them When I Can Be BotheredTM.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 09:12:53 PM »
I've allwayse wondered how much WFRP incoreperated the minature game or if had nothing to do with those rules.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 09:27:25 PM »
It's similar enough that conversion is a simple matter of moving some stats around. The book is in both yards and squares (inches) for miniature use, but the actual combat rules are totally different from tabletop.

It also only mentions miniatures once (when it explains the presense of the squares measurements) and there is nary a model in sight, so it's not got the blatent cross-promotion of D&D 3.5.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2005, 01:39:46 AM »
Until this new version, The Old World of WFB and The Old World of WFRP had grown completely apart.  WFB had evolved the setting to where it wasn't quite so dark.

This book brings things back in line with WFB in ways I like and don't like.  I like old Bretonnia, when it wasn't all noble and chivalrous.  I miss that.  I also detect a shift in focus from the enemy within to the enemy without.  Of course, both of these changes are easy to ignore.

I think I'm going to give Plundered Vaults a skip, but I like what I see with the Bestiary.  That's on the purchase list.  I also have Shadows Over Boggenhofen and Death on the Reik from the old system (and the famous Enemy Within campaign).  So I'm all set to go.

Plus, random character generation which is much improved over 1st edition.  No more naked dwarf syndrome!  No more overpowered elves! A magic system that not only works, but is AWESOME.

Yeah, now I want to play/run.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 09:37:15 AM »
I'm set to run it after one of the currently running games in my group ends. I ran the first part of the Through the Drakenwalds adventure in the corebook, and in 2 turns of combat (the mutants getting 1 turn) the players did a total of 5 wounds to the mutants, recieved 6 wounds back and the mage miscast and nearly got an insanity point. All this and the mutants still need their second turn. Mr Halfing rogue with WS 18 may soon be a ketchup smear.

/me chortles

Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 12:57:26 AM »
Tell me how the adventure plays out.  Just skimming it, it looks better than the adventure in the back of WFRP 1st ed.

I see you registered over at the BI forums, Entropy.  I couldn't let you have your name in lights as the "Most Recent Member" so I had to join too.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 07:36:58 AM »
Curse you! CURSE YOU AND YOUR FOUL PLOYS!

I read the adventure in detail earlier, and it's pretty interesting. The main problems is that some parties will totally ignore a lot of the stuff - many will take efforts to avoid or ignore the subplots. Which would be sad. In that situation, goblins are recommended :P

Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2005, 07:40:43 AM »
Oh and the 1st edition adventure was hilarious - all these gangs in some Secret Underground Fort. But it had a beast of nurgle, which makes up for it.

Fellfrosch