Author Topic: Fantasy Grounds  (Read 1342 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Fantasy Grounds
« on: September 08, 2005, 12:19:22 AM »
This has been out for a few months and I've been playing around with the demo for about that long.  I finally bit the bullet and purchased the full version.  I'm pretty impressed so far.

It's a program made to run game sessions online, much like WebRPG and the like.  The difference is, this one's good.  It tries to emulate the game table as much as possible, even to the point of actually rolling dice instead of just using a generator.

It allows for the uploading of images and maps which can be shared and altered by anyone who is connected.  It also allows the DM to write up text beforehand and drop it into the chat screen, which is nice.  

You can easily keep modifiers on hand and apply them to die rolls just by dragging and dropping.  The DM can assume different 'personalities' in chat with the touch of a button.  It also includes some flavor lighting for what time of day it is, which is a neat little feature.

Basically, it's freaking cool!  It even includes handy SRD link so you can pull up info on any monster or class at the touch of a button.  

It's made for running d20.  Other games would be hard to pull off.

Combine this with a program like Skype or Teamspeak and we actually could have a TWG game!

The only downside is price. Full version (DM and Player) is $35.   The Player-Only version is $20.

Linky:  http://www.fantasygrounds.com/

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Fantasy Grounds
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 12:29:13 AM »
I generally avoid d20, so I guess the program wouldn't do me much good.

On AIM, MSN, Google Talk, etc., you can do video and audio chat.  AIM chatrooms also have a way to roll dice in-chat, which is very nice, and allows for quick change of font colour for moods/personalities, etc.  MSN has provisions for actual drawing/writing within the program, and "Whiteboard" allows you to invite as many people as you want to all draw on the same canvas (you can preload and import pictures into it if you want, too).

Really, I'm of the opinion that it wouldn't be terribly difficult to run an online RPG without a program like this.

Though, admittedly, this program likely makes it both easier and better looking if you're running d20.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: Fantasy Grounds
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 12:44:08 AM »
Actually, I don't think it would be that difficult.  At least for d20, where combat options are limited (no Feng Shui-like stunts).  

Using voice chat and Fantasy Grounds I don't think I'd have any trouble running an online campaign.