Author Topic: Today's active topics  (Read 9226 times)

Brian

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wisdom is the Pure Application of Knowledge.
    • View Profile
Re: Today's active topics
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2003, 01:49:13 PM »
I have worked in technical support and customer service for the past 5 years, so I know what its like to be very hesitant to tell a customer "no" or "its not going to work" or "I can't help you." In fact, more often than not responses like that will only get you in trouble with your superiors. You have to lie outright and convince the customer that, despite their extreme stupidity and the fact that their computer is 10 years old, there is indeed a chance of getting everything on their computer working perfectly again.

But in many corporate IT departments, you can actively solicit requests for fixing things, and then deny said requests without any logical explanation, and spend the time you'd otherwise be spending on fixing that problem watching a movie or ordering pizza. Which you can afford, since you get paid more than the price of the pizza during the time it takes you to eat it.

This isn't the case with all IT departments, of course, so if you work in IT and this description doesn't apply to you, then good for you. And I offer my condolances.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2003, 02:35:08 PM »
Also, the difference between being upfront and being callous, is quite tenuous.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2003, 10:18:34 PM »
Also, the difference between being upfront and being callous, is quite tenuous.

Only if you're bitter and don't care about the feelings of others. Like me.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2003, 01:41:44 AM »
I don't recall implying that I was going to do something and then not do it. Although you could have just been making a general case, but I couldn't tell exactly. Either way, as I've said before, I won't be working on the current forum at all as I plan on writing one specifically for play-by-post games.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2003, 05:03:28 PM »
If anyone's going to make wild promises and then not follow up on them, it's me. And you're all getting a brand new pony.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2003, 07:56:58 PM »
See, that's good customer service on Fell's part.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.