Author Topic: Anyone up for Gaming?  (Read 9186 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Anyone up for Gaming?
« on: April 23, 2006, 08:29:29 PM »
So I have most of this next week free to do what i want after I finish finals on Tuesday.

I've been dying to play some more Mutants and Masterminds, particularly 2nd ed. (For those of you not familiar with Mutants and Masterminds, it a D20 ogle Super-Heroes setting.)

So I was thinking if anyone in the Utah area was interested, I'd run a game this Saturday the 29th probably starting in the afternoon. I figure about 2 hours to build characters and 3 to 4 hours of play.

So anyone interested?

I'm giving Eagle Prince and Harbinger priority for participation, but I could still use couple more players. After this I start school again and won't have time to plan sessions as much.

Also I'm hoping to get  review for the site out of this.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 08:33:15 PM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone up for Gaming?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 10:40:21 PM »
So did you get 2nd edition?  Hmm, I should think of a guy.  What type of setting do you think?  If more low powered modern, then probably like Rambo or the Punisher with lots of training and skills type of stuff rather than superpowers.  But if starting above power level 10, then maybe someone like Gungrave or Hellsing, or maybe a werewolf.  If its set more like WWII, the Noir setting or whatever it is called, then probably Indiana Jones or a supersoldier like Captain America or the Sentinel (the one from the '96 TV show, about a detective with super-senses he developed while in the army).
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 10:27:37 AM »
Well, I'm thinking power level 10. Which in 2nd Ed. allows you to be rather powerful.

The current setting is in the modern world where some super-villains have taken over the island nation of Malta. They have brought forth a demon to start their conquest and destruction of the world. The heroes must defeat said demon by retrieving some sort of artifact. (I'm thinking maybe some sort of statue--maybe a falcon shaped one.)

Still, I'm open for suggestions, particularly villain ideas and cool features worth adding.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 08:20:00 PM »
I want to play a ne'er-do-well archaeologist who goes on wacky adventures when he isn't teaching his college history courses. He'll wear a worn brown leather jacket and a fedora, and dual-wield a bullwhip and revolver.
I will give him a good, original name, like... North Carolina Smith.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 08:27:11 PM »
Okay, I think I have two characters then.

First guy sort of a cross of Rambo and Sentinel.  Basically a commando who got stuck out in the bush for way too long.  So on top of the military training he gets insanely good at survival, stealth, tracking etc from living out in the wild for so long.  But he also kind of loses it and starts thinking the jungle can talk to him.  When he finally leaves, then he has super-senses and maybe some other minor powers.  Maybe some crazy looking eyes and half mad like Wolfbrothers, depends on how supernatural I want his powers.  You get the idea.  Then going off Rambo again, his main weapons would be the trusty survival knife and a compound bow with all sorts of crazy warheads on the arrows.  

Alright, the second character is a demon who was a real problem.  To stop him, some type of super wizard or whatnot summoned him up and put this "curse" on him so that he would have to be the servant of some family or special organization (or maybe a family who leads a special organization).  As a protective measure the curse limits how much of his power is avalible, along with what he can do, so he would have some kind of paladin code of conduct or the like.  He was also commanded to assume a pleasing human form, but maybe he still has some ability to assume his demonic form, or at least a half-demon form.  His main power is regeneration, but should have at least some spellcasting and other assortment of supernatural abilities.
 Oh yeah, and if it wasn't obvious, his main purpose now is taking care of demons and other such problems for the "weak" humans.  And his main personal goal is to find a way to break out of the curse.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 08:35:34 PM by Eagle_Prince »
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 11:40:57 PM »
North Carolina Smith

Dakota Johnson?
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 05:04:14 AM »
So is anyone else interested in playing this weekend?

I'll even take a "I would love to but I can't because I plan to be in the  hospital this Saturday recovering from the near fatal car wreck I will be in on Friday" excuse or something.

blcdrayco

• Level 4
  • Oops.  Well, who needs Asia anyways, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 09:50:23 AM »
I-would-love-to-but-I-live-on-the-other-side-of-the-country.
If the offer still stands in august however...
It does not matter if you are the emperor of man- If your wife is angry, you sleep on the couch.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 09:58:35 AM »
Thank you for your sincere excuse. Not terribly valid, but at least it's sincere.

Yup, I'll probably try running this again in August if I'm not bogged down studying for the GRE.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 02:23:05 PM »
If the planets align for me it sounds fun (really,) but honestly the planets don't look like they're going to align, at least not in May.  June forwards, though, is an entirely different story.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 05:13:45 PM »
I owuld have loved too, but i already got a LAN party going over the weekend. too bad!  :(
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 09:30:36 PM »

Dakota Johnson?

North or South?

No, I've got it! Same basic concept, except he's a lycanthrope. New name: Virginia Wolf.

Nah, who'd be afraid of that?
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 11:07:31 PM »
Your excuses are noted and appreciated.

Keep in mind I'm flexible on the time.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 12:00:39 PM »
So I went ahead and ran the adventure I had been planning this past Saturday. It ran a little longer than I had anticipated. Still, it was good in that I learned a lot on how to make things run smoother next time. I also feel comfortable writing a review of the game. (Review coming sometime May 2006.)

So I'm thinking I would like to run another session of M&M maybe the end of May or June. Is anyone interested? What day and time would be best?

Does anyone have a preference for a setting? I'm thinking I would like to stay on Earth, but I'm open to historical or futuristic settings.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 12:39:47 PM »
I'd be interested. I've always though Mutants and Masterminds looked really cool.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net