Author Topic: Heroclix  (Read 5772 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Heroclix
« on: March 10, 2003, 07:26:42 PM »
fun fun. i got hold of the deluxe starter box for Marvel HC. I now own a bunch of sweet models. the spiderman and wolverine models give many GW models a run for their money. i also managed to get a rookie firelord in a booster, who looks like a turbo charged nutter. ive been trying to figure out two 200 pt teams, so me and a mate can play. i can up with:

Wolverine (R)
Spiderman(E)
Scarlet Witch(R)
Wasp (R)
SHIELD Medic (V)

vs

Hobgoblin (V)
Boomerang (E)
Electra (E)
Kingpin (R)
Sabretooth (E)

I cant help shake the feeling that the first team is more powerful, and will give its player a big advantage. opinions anyone?

Oh, and i like the co-incidences - i buy HC, log onto the website and see a article for HC. good timing.

Other thoughts :
1) i should really like, go read some comics. i have read a grand total of one, which was the free issue of warhammer monthly they gave free with WD years ago. oh and some beano comics when i was 7, but they dont really count. it would be nice to know who the bleeding heck wolfsbane, boomerang and, for that matter, SHIELD are. i only recognise the electra and kingpin names because of the release of the Daredevil.
2) the Marvel HC Sentinal model SUXXORS. The equivelent DC model, the big yellow thing, looks much better.
3) i really really like how they did fliers. it is so comicbookish, the way they work. great stuff.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Heroclix
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2003, 10:32:50 PM »
SHIELD is a military organization (first American, now multi-national I believe). Imagine them as a cross between the CIA and a more visible version of Special Forces commandos. Their main job, as you can imagine, is fighting the minions of supervillains. At one point back in the 60s/70s, they had a giant flying aircraft carrier, kind of like the one in Tailspin (if they have that in England). I'm sure there's much more to say, but I can't think of it.

As for your initiation into Heroclix, congratulations! The models, as you say, can often get up into GW-level coolness, but the painting on most is still nowhere near that good. Still, on uniques especially, the painting is a lot better than you'd expect from mass-produced inch-high models.

Your teams...I think you may be right, the first could be a little better. I'm not acquainted with all of the versions of the figures that your using, but Probability Control and a medic could easily put that team over the top. On the other hand, the Experienced Sabretooth is quite probably the best deal for the points, and definitely your best fighter. Spiderman is a hard figure to use, and I'm not sure I have him figured out myself yet, so I can't help you there.

And yes, all versions of Firelord could be described as "turbo charged nutters." His numbers and powers drop off very quickly, but that's not necessarily bad if you use him right--a medic can heal him pretty easily, since his defense drops so low.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2003, 09:22:49 AM »
Spiderman is a hard figure to use, and I'm not sure I have him figured out myself yet, so I can't help you there.

well, at a guess id say Spiderman is awesome at taking down fliers : he has ranged, is good damage, can leap and so can stop them simply sitting on buildings and shooting and later down on teh dial he gets flurry and outwit : wang off soaring and simply punch the flier to death.  TBH he also looks like a great solo model : he can go anywhere and kill anything just about. his speed is high as well, so hes great for hunting down shooters and fliers who are giving you the gyp.
At 82 points he takes a hefty chunk out of your points tho, so using him simply as another front line basher might be a horrible waste. Not great for small games then.

As for your initiation into Heroclix, congratulations! The models, as you say, can often get up into GW-level coolness, but the painting on most is still nowhere near that good. Still, on uniques especially, the painting is a lot better than you'd expect from mass-produced inch-high models.

The beauty is that if i really dont like a paint job i can simply whip out my GW paints and do it myself :) Im actually quite tempted to do that before i go to any tournaments, simply so my models have the edge appearance wise.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2003, 06:09:00 PM »
Well, Xplosion comes out next week (Monday, with any luck) and our local store is planning a Sealed Booster tournament. Stupid Mustard is too stupid to go, though. Also, Wizkids finally announced the next DC set: Cosmic Justice. Hooray!

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/heroclix/dc/products.asp?cid=37545
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2003, 06:11:07 PM »
My roomate, steve, is intrested in the clix games.  he has been sence Magenight came out, but donsen't want to pay for them with out playing it first.  Maybe sometime for like a hour or two we can get together and you can show us how to play?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2003, 06:33:36 PM »
Gladly. Which interests him more, superheroes or fantasy battles? Or we could play both--it's not like I hate playing games or anything.

House of Mustard

• Staff
  • Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2003, 04:01:31 AM »
I would like to say that Stupid Mustard is neither too stupid or too sissy to attend.  Instead, he is spending his Monday evening with his wife and young child in wholesome family bonding.

However, I'm more than willing to begin the big Patriot City campaign Saturday.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2003, 12:18:26 PM »
If Erin plays, you can do some wholesome family bonding at the tournament...unless you get paired against each other and lose that lovin' feelin'.

By the way, there's problems with saturday. But since you didn't get on IM all day yesterday, and since I find speaking with you directly to be distasteful, I haven't been able to tell you yet.

House of Mustard

• Staff
  • Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2003, 12:39:32 PM »
Pardon me for not getting on IM.  The dillemma that I run into occasionally is that I can't simply play on the internet fifteen hours a day, unlike some people I know.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2003, 03:01:48 PM »
Ah... brotherly love. It's a beautiful thing.

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2003, 07:33:03 PM »
I'll get back to you when i see him next.  Week ends are better for you right?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2003, 11:58:26 PM »
In general yes, though this weekend is filled up.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2003, 01:38:48 PM »
Well. Earlier this week i bought the Indoor Scenery pack for heroclix. it had 3 contents:
a double sided map. nothing special - although lots of corridors made for interesting brawls.
4 scenery pieces. quite nice.
the scenario cards.

The scenario cards are pap. no two ways about it. they would be good, if wizkids had bothered to put them through quality control. some of the options failed to list what points you got for them, and at least 3 boxes had a question, and a "no" answer - but no "yes" answer to follow. huh?
Me & my opponent went back to a straight forward brawl. With the veteran hulk i got :)

Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2003, 12:48:14 PM »
Well, it seems I have ventured out and gotten meself 4 booster packs of "Clobberin' Time." And now to tell you what I got so I can hopefully get some feedback on whats good and what isn't.

Dr. Doom (E & R)
Thing (E)
Black Cat (V)
Mandroid Armor (2 R's)
Skrull Commando (R)
A.I.M. Agent (R & V)
Toad (R)
Logan (R & V)
Black Widow (V)
Yellowjacket (2 R's)
Blastaar (R)

So that's what I got today. If anyone has any comment of which ones are useful and which ones I can give my dog, just let me know.

“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2003, 02:10:14 PM »
Veteran Logan is definitely the prize in that batch, though both Dr. Dooms and the Experienced Thing are pretty good. Blastaar is also a good figure, because he can fill two roles (ranged and melee) depending on where he is in the dial. You got the wrong black cat, unfortunately--Experienced is better thanks to the Spider-man team ability--but don't despair, as the Veteran is still a great piece. The AIM agents aren't bad, given the price, and I've recently become a little more forgiving of Telekinesis so the Mandroids aren't a total loss. The only bad figure you pulled, to be honest, is the Skrull Commando; everything else is pretty solid.