Author Topic: inquisitor  (Read 5755 times)

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
inquisitor
« on: May 31, 2003, 11:36:26 PM »
I just picked up some games pretty cheap.  I got Inquisitor for ten bucks and Talisman for (and I'm not kidding) thirty bucks.  Both brand new from a games store that is changing location and has to reduce inventory.  Now I already know about Talisman, but I was curious if any of you have played Inquisitor.  Anybody have any comments for good or ill about this game?
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: inquisitor
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2003, 02:56:06 AM »
We've been talking about Inquisitor in several threads...and we are a review site, after all, so there is a review that I continue to stand behind. Let me give you the summary: very cool ideas and very cool rules, but not complete enough to play as-is as either a wargame or RPG.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 07:01:36 AM »
Uhhh... fell, WD and Exterminatus increase its potential significantly. There was a good article about campaigns in one of the White Dwarfs, and the exterminatus magazines are chock full of goodness.

The website has both downloads and a sample campaign up

http://www.exterminatus.com
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 09:32:08 PM »
I'm fundamentally opposed to a game that I can only play if I buy more magazines. This was supposed to be a complete game, not a serialized one. A few official books, codex-style, would be nice, because I could buy the ones I want and leave the rest; a regular magazine with updating rules, however, bothers me.

I don't like video games with constant streams of patches, either, but at least those are free.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 03:34:44 AM »
I did not say they were "patches", only that they increased its potential.

And GW will put the articles in the 2002 and 2003 compendiums... those are codex sized and priced with lotsa articels.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2003, 01:35:11 PM »
I'll have to check those out. Are you still developing RPG rules for Inquisitor?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2003, 02:12:56 PM »
Kinda yes. Some basic framework for the insanity rules got laid out - ive got 3 kinds. one is for normal everyday stuff, another combat (includes "The gore factor" and "combat fatigue"), and chaos related stuff (includes "corruption" and "insanity". first deals with being turned to the dark side, second is basically the Call of Cthulhu insanity rules).

And im not sure what system. =I= is the most obvious choice, but WHFRP is so easy its silly. Problem is which to go for. If it is =I=, i can skimp on the mechanics bit of combat and dont have to outline the imperium itself (i might do that anyway tho...), if it is warhammer, no mechanics at all needed but the whole 40k setting has to be outlined and made to fit in. In the mean time, i think i will just plug away randomly at whatever strikes my fancy.

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 02:19:58 PM »
I'm inclined to keep as much of basic Inquisitor as possible, filling where needed with WHFRPG. And I hadn't thought of insanity rules and corruption, but now that you mention them I agree--they're absolutely necessary.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2003, 02:29:27 PM »
ACtually, now i have your attention, have a proof read for me of the corruption rules. I'm not that good a writer, so bear with me. Im intending for a D100 system like CoC for the insanity.

Chaos Induced[/u]

Chaos is a horrifying force. It is a malign, hateful fascet of reality that seeks only to enslave and destroy the rest of reality. It has no readily understandable boundries or reasons, and it corrupts everything it touches.

Corruption
Corruption is less a disorder than a weapon of chaos, although to an extend even insanity is a weapon of chaos. Simply put, the Corruption trait increasingly prompts characters to join the fell legions of chaos the more they encounter the servants of the dark gods. Every time a character fights the forces of the dark gods, roll the characters widsom Trait. If it is passed, the character overcomes the urgings of the ruinous powers and maintains his purity. If it is failed, he adds 1D3 points of Corruption.
More insiduous and dangerous, however, is the threat posed by hidden servants of chaos. Whenever a character talks or listens to a servant of chaos, without knowing that fact, and agrees with his words or assertations then he must make a wisdom roll at -20 on a d100 roll. If this roll is failed, the character takes 1D6 points of Corruption. If it is passed, the characters inner strength and purity overcomes the urgings of chaos.
Whenever a character listens to or talks to a known servant of chaos and agrees with his words, he makes the same roll with the same consequences, but the penalty does not apply - in fact, he has a +10 on d100 bonus.
The GM may choose to apply other factors, such as the strength of devotion in the Emperor. These will take the form of further penalties and bonuses - a high priest of the Ecclisary might get a +15 bonus, while a downtrodden mutant might get a -10 penalty. A Space Marine should have a +40 bonus.
When a character has corruption points, the GM is entitled to roll against it at any time, but when facing chaos is a particularly appropriate time. I recommend you do not roll at all; this is excellent roleplaying for the other characters and will inject a sense of the insiduous nature of chaos in the players. In this case, talk to players whose characters possess more than 20 points of corruption and discuss the matter with them.

Characters who roll under their corruption score become servants of chaos, either knowingly or not. This does not necessarily mean they start shouting 'Blood for the Blood god!' and using a chainaxe on their best friends. Think how your character would look to aid the forces of chaos - would he start corrupting planetary officials, assassinate military targets or just go the good old demon summoning route? Either way, it will necessite a major change in the character, his perceptions and actions. Discuss with the GM how this can fit into his campaign; he might feel that it doesn't. In this case, the PC may become a NPC opponent, or might be killed off or retired. Irregardless, chaos is not a benevolent force, nor does it inspire kindness in all but the most misguided servants.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2003, 02:32:15 PM by Charlie82 »

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2003, 06:15:14 PM »
I'm happy to do it, but give me a bit. I've got a lot of stuff to finish up.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2003, 06:50:34 PM »
Sure, no problem. Not like i am running on a schedule here. Just rambling along in my usual way.

Besides, i think you have enough problems what with non-elucidean candy and cheese meteors.

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2003, 12:34:02 AM »
It reads plenty good for a first draft. I don't know much about the setting, but I think I follow how the corruption works. Kinda cool

House of Mustard

• Staff
  • Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2003, 03:02:43 PM »
Don't feel bad about not knowing the setting.  The Inquisiter book has about two and a half pages of background/setting and never seems to answer such obvious questions as: Why are these Inquisitors fighting?  What exactly do Inquisitors do when they're not fighting each other?  Why is 'everything that we've been told a lie'?
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2003, 03:57:16 PM »
uhm....

you obviously failed to understand the point of the book HoM.

Lie - the inquisition is a monolith of holy and unfailable men.
Thruth - its is splintered, full of heretics and is wracked by interal schisims.

And so on.

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2003, 05:07:28 PM »
I have to support Mustard on this. Those of us who know the history of the 40k universe can fill in the gaps, but the book itself is ridiculously, obscenely devoid of context. Mustard was pointing out the book's incompleteness, and frankly he's right.

Now, like I said, we can fill in most of those blanks. But someone like Saint, who knows nothing about Warhammer, would be completely lost if he tried to derive any background info from the Inquisitor book.