Author Topic: inquisitor  (Read 5753 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: inquisitor
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2003, 05:18:24 PM »
Yeah, but remember who it is aimed at; hoary old 40k players. It is like complaining that the tau codex doesnt talk much about the imperium.

Big problem for first timers to warhammer. But who would go straight into =I= without playing 40k first?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Staff
  • Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2003, 07:34:09 PM »
Thanks Fell...

The Tao Codex is a supplement to the 40k rulebook which explains all about the imperium.  The Inquisitor book, while it is part of the 40k universe, is supposedly a stand alone book.

I will admit that it is aimed at 40k players, but, even as a 40k player I was stymied by many things.  It gives precisely five sentences explaining the 'everything is a lie' premise, and four pages explaining the various factions.  It doesn't explain why they fight, other than to say that they have competing ideologies.  The premise of the game is that inquisitors are constantly fighting each other, and there is nothing to support that.  When would they ever have time to hold inquisitions?   :)

But who would go straight into =I= without playing 40k first?

One of the problems with =I= is that it is so different from a wargame that it appeals to a different crowd.  It attracts equally wargamers and rpgers.  Saintehlers is a beautiful example here (he's not beautiful - the example is): An RPG fanatic who has virtually no 40k experience.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2003, 07:47:49 PM »
uhm...

Were you actually paying attention?

Two inquisitors. They come across a rumour of a daemon sword. One wants to destroy it - it is a blasmephy. The other wants to us it - it is a valuable resourse.

Why wouldn't they fight?

And on the point of not having enough time, think about 40k. If there was constant war all the time, how could humanity ever recoup the losses from battle? They couldn't Most of these inquisitor vs inquisitor, chaos vs imperial guard etc conflicts are rare. just as entire groups of systems will see little combat for decades, there will be little inquisition combat. The warbands and the armies represent the exception to the case.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Staff
  • Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2003, 08:12:26 PM »
Denied.

What ever happened to "there is only war"?

I understand the occasional fighting over a sword or an ancient tome or whatever.  However, inquisitor is designed for campaigns: inquisitors duking it out against inquisitors for eternity.  It would appear, given the rules, that inq vs inq fighting is all that inquisitors do.  There are no rules for fighting anyone else.  There are no explanations given for them fighting anyone else.  There are no scenarios in which, once they have procured said Daemon Sword, they use that sword to rescue the imperium (unless they're slaying another inquisitor).

Any way you look at it, you are having to make piles of assumptions.  My point is that the book is incompete background wise, and you've offered no evidence to the contrary.

There are only two scenarios possible:
1  Inquisitors only fight other inquisitors.    If this is true, why does the book never explain why this is the case?

2  Inquisitors fight other stuff too.  If so, why does the book make it appear as though they only fight each other?  Why are there no rules for fighting other things?  As the game is designed, inquisitors can only ever fight other inquisitor warbands.  Why is this?

The answer to both 1 and 2 is that the book lacks background, is incomplete, and is really only half of a game: merely a cool combat system.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 08:14:11 PM by House_of_Mustard »
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2003, 08:29:06 PM »
Denied.

What ever happened to "there is only war"?

Uhm... kinda like the whole 'any ship that enters the warp automatically dies on a 50% chance'. Uh, yeah.

The galaxy is huge, 1 million worlds in the imperium. Loads of space.

And i thought the book gave lots of ideas for fighting chaos - daemon swords do not appear by themselves after all. But they concentrated on =I=.

Note - the magazine has had articles on mutants, aliens and chaos characters and warbands. Including random generators for the first two, and a huuuuge list of psychic powers for the last. But that is not in the main book, although i could argu that the compendiums serve a similar purpose to the codexes. They focus on particular areas not covered that much in the main book, and expand and make them playable.

Fellfrosch

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2003, 11:01:18 PM »
We played our first scenario of =I= last night.  I am still having some difficulty with the rules, but I am getting better.  Half of us were Inquisitors, the other half were rogue traders suspected of smuggling Chaos artifacts.  I played a trader named Kristoff Von Schlaeger.  I had five actions per round, so I decided I would leap over the guardrail to the cargo bay below (where there was a pitched battle), fire two-handed three times (I was packing Navy pistols: not as deadly as other weapons, but boy do they look cool), then land on my feet in a crouch.  Well, I only rolled two successes on the d6, so I only got off two actions.  I jumped off the railing and fired, then fell flat on my face onto the cargo bay floor and knocked myself unconscious.  After all the other players finished laughing themselves silly they just went back to their running battle and just left me there sprawled in a bloody splotch.

And to add insult to injury, the two shots I DID get off, missed their marks by a mile.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2003, 11:43:36 PM »
someone like Saint, who knows nothing about Warhammer, would be completely lost if he tried to derive any background info from the Inquisitor book.

I'm completely lost anyway. I don't see what Warhammer has to do with that...

Oh... reading the rest of the thread, I see why...

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2003, 08:52:09 AM »
Yup slant, that is the beauty of the =I= actions system.

From your description, you seem to be playing with multiple players each with a single miniture. Interesting.

Fellfrosch

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2003, 10:27:21 PM »
Yes, there were eight of us divided into two teams of four.  It was a lot of fun, my character's humiliation nonwithstanding, and we are planning to do another session soon.

Let me ask:  did Inquisitor have it's own magazine? If so, is it still in print?  I'd love to get my hands on some background material and new character rules.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2003, 08:15:18 AM »
Yes. Exterminatus magazine, written four times a year by Gav Thorpe and Andy Hall.

I'll go over what each one covered. Each issue has a letters page and about 6 pages of colour pictures which go with conversion and painting guides.
1) alien char generators, 2 imperial guard characters, 1 alien character
2) vehicle rules, kal jerico rules & model, a chrono gladiator rules and model, a imperial guard pathfinder rules and model, genestealer cult rules
3) CHAOS!! new chaos psychic powers, hive ganger model & rules, chaos magnus model and rules, Inquisitor Q&A
4) Eldar rules & pathfinder model, kroot warrior rules and model
5) using space marines article, recap of purestrain genestealer rules & new model, a 4 scenario campaign, a space marine helmet sprue
6) Using daemons, daemon huntresses inquisitor rules and model, unbound daemonhost rules and model, tattoo painting techniques
7) Seeing the warp - navigators, their powers and organisation, navigator model and rules, imperial bosun models and rules, playing god - games mastering article.

Each issue costs $7. Well worth it, and a subscriptino for 6 issues is pretty cheap as well.

Oh, and it is still on the go. Inquisitor has a fanatical fanbase - go to its website http://www.exterminatus.com, then find your way to the forum and ask about it, all i can remember is that its a yahoo! one. I used to be on it, 2 years ago, and it was insanely active - 40 posts to it a day. I quit after i didn't check my emails for a week and ended up with 300 emails in my inbox.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2003, 08:22:24 AM by Charlie82 »

Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2003, 08:18:45 AM »
ooooo. Just checked that site, they are making a Tau water cast... must... resist... temptation...

also a campaign to use, and a whole bunch of .pdf downloads, some from earlier issues of exterminatus. They seem to be making teh magazines free to download after the magazine goes oop.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2003, 08:20:47 AM by Charlie82 »

Fellfrosch

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2003, 11:01:50 PM »
Thank you for the information Entropy.  I will have to see if my local games supplier can dig up some issues.

We played another Inquisitor scenario today.  Aboard a rotting space hulk the players find a scrawny little guy encased in a stasis field.  They release him and discover that he had been placed in the field because of the danger he represented back in the 21st century.  The macho players scoff at him.  Mutants attack and are quickly dealt with.  In the attack, though, the skinny guy is shot and he begins to change very rapidly as if he had the ability "Wyrd-Warp Strength."  I replaced the miniature that I was using for him with (wait for it)..... a Heroclix Hulk figure!!!  Yep, the big bad space marines and inquisitors went toe-to-toe with an enraged Hulk that they found, oh so appropriately, on a SPACE HULK!!

Sometimes I am so evil that I give myself chills.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2003, 06:23:05 AM »
BWAHAHAHA

HULK SMASH PUNY SPACE MARINE!

Like i said, you can get a lot of the info on the Exterminatus website - the magazines get the info to you a lot faster (at least 6 months), they look nice, and they are in print. Oh and lots of painting tutorials.

If you want earlier issues, just check the "resources" page of the exterminatus site... the alien generator and the vehicle rules are all available for download.

Fellfrosch