Author Topic: The Eye of Terror  (Read 10045 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: The Eye of Terror
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2003, 07:22:38 PM »
I think the best way to do this online would be to make it as abstract as possible.  Maybe just give everyone a combat line and a few skills/special abilities.

Entropy and I have been bouncing this back and forth and I was about to send another email to him.  I think adapting WFRP would be easier than using Savage Worlds.  It would take a little work, but I think I could pull off a quick and dirty conversion.  May take a week or two before I get a rough draft though.

And as I've stated, Rogue Trader (for those like me who have copies) is virtually an RPG in itself also.  We could pull a RT RPG.  It would strike a good balance between Inquisitor complexity and 40K abstractness.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2003, 06:42:00 AM »
As long as i can get a hold of the rules i'll be as happy as a bunny in snow.

Or something.

Anyway, i think that, system aside, the best way to do a RPG would be to do it in installments similar to Exalted.
We have the first one, which details the most likely protaginists (humans, either mutants/cops/imperial guard soldiers/inquisitors), human weapons, human psychic powers and so on. Possibly split those up into miniinstallments.
Afterwards comes the alien expensions. I was thinking that most important of these would be one where we flat out make them up. This would be "minor races" - guys who we know must exist, but who do not have a army in 40k. Maybe we could get the Sci Fi writers present to do that one. It is needed to give the GM some decent alternatives - what would D&D forgotten realms be like with only orcs, kobolds and dragons to fight?
And of course the Tau, Eldar etc would all get their packs in the sweet fullness of time.

So, Mr P takes the spanner to whatever system is decided upon, and i will start sifting through my 40k collection for ideas for the human one. Oh, and i still want my idea for a pschic rules used Mr P ;)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2003, 12:46:18 PM »
Don't I wish I knew what was going on here.

So are you saying that you're actually developing a homemade RPG designed to be posted on the Internet as a full game? Sounds interesting.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2003, 12:52:40 PM »
I want a 40k RPG i can play online. Releasing it to other people would largely be a side effect of furthering my own pleasures.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2003, 02:34:44 PM »
How come I have the feeling that this will lead to the death of many innocent people
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2003, 03:33:03 PM »
Hm. He knows me too well... maybe it is time he is "silenced"...

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2003, 03:59:18 PM »
Well crap. The campaign starts today, and I have no feasible possibility of playing anytime soon. I wonder what I can work out.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2003, 07:49:14 PM »
Hum. I could take my unpainted Tau to a club, but i really want to paint them up and use them in a store. I could always use some chaosboys, but they are unpainted mostly as well. Damnit!

Actually, the last 2 issues of WD turned me off it a bit. The battle rep in this months issue is crap, and the section on the eye of terror last month went into terrain i did not like - it went for generic layers of hell, as opposed to the version i always liked which was with teh daemon princes fighting tooth and nail by messing around with reality. Having souls and dead people dragged into it sucks. Oh, and the battle rep in that issue was the lamest since that battle report when the falcon first came out.

Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2003, 08:19:09 PM »
Oh, and BTW, i found a full warhammer fantasy roleplay conversion for 40k. I can email the PDF file to anyone who is interested. It is pretty comprehensive, with new skills and careers and everything. All i really want to do now is think up some stuff to fill in the gaps. Gaps like:

->Are there female Tau?
->How do Tau reproduce?
->How, precisely, do bonesingers produce wraithbone?
->What other alien races might be encountered?
->Are there any Chaos worshippers who are not human, or is humanity the only race that follows Chaos to a large extent? There was chaos race mentioned in the Eisenhorn trilogy, but what about Orks, Tau and other races that presumably must exist yet do not have an army?
->What does the imperium do if a planet experiences a revolt that changes government but remains loyal to Terra? Say, a monarchy is overthrown and modern democracy is instituted which is fully loyal to the Emperor and his followers - what does the Inquisition do?
->The Emperors Tarot - is it a form of psychic power, or does it genuinely draw power from the Emperor?
->Does the Imperium ever terraform planets to make them more inhabitable, or has that technology been lost? It exists in the modern day, so why is mars not a green planet?
->The Eldar - how does their society actually function? We know about military organistation, but what about peace time - do the Farseers control every aspect of the craftworld? How do they carry out maintenance of the craftworld?
->Just how big is a craftworld - small moon, large space station or what?
->What percentage of every race is a psycher?

Stuff like that. I have ideas for a lot of it, and i think it would be needed for a RPGs GM to know this stuff.

Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2003, 01:23:13 PM »
*bounces*

I'm really excited about EoT now. I registered and everything for my Tau army... now i am waiting for sunday when i will play a friend (who will use my Chaos army... and who knows he is playing Tau. I bet he loads up on AP4 weapons... i just hope he ignores the Kroot, so i can go on a rampage with them. Certainly the crisis suits have a low survival expectancy).

I really love how the campaign determines the fluff. If the Tau win a lot of battles, then the empire expands and all is good. If the Tau lose lots of battles then they are in trouble, and expansion stops. Predictable the Tau are winning 50% of their battles; the Tau empire is at 101% its starting size or something daft.

Fellfrosch