Author Topic: The Eye of Terror  (Read 10046 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: The Eye of Terror
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2003, 12:55:55 PM »
You think Firelord is undercosted and broken? Cool, I want to play against you.

???
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2003, 12:58:35 PM »
I never use Firelord because I don't think he's good enough. I figure that if you think he's too good you might be easy to beat.

(You know I'm just teasing, right? Right?)
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2003, 01:03:41 PM »
I shall content myself with only one statement.

you might be easy to beat.

???
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2003, 01:42:02 PM »

Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2003, 02:39:01 PM »
I won't argue that the core books for 40k and WFB aren't the best values for the game.  They're huge and they're chock full and relatively cheap.  However, they're useless without a $200 army and the appropriate codex.   As for D&D, all you need is the PHB and dice if you're playing.  Add in the MM and DMG if you're running (tripling the cost).  You don't need any other books.  I played this way for two years because I like apporximately one of the sourcebooks put out.  

Codices each have only 2 useful sections:  the army lists and the pictures.  The rest is total crap.  GW fluff is highly derivitave and contrived and should be a free download on their website.  Heck, they'd do better following most other miniature games leads and making the rules and rulebooks free downloads.  They make their money on the minis anyway, not the books.    

Making plastic minis is really expensive which is why few companies do it.   However, it still doesn't justify that high of a price.  Citadel is passing their up-front price for plastics onto me and I refuse to pay it.  I-Kore is coming out with plastic minis here in a few weeksn and they're price increase is negligible.  As for their quality, I like it.  Some sculpts are crap, but over the short time they've been in business they've drastically improved in quality.  Citadel is good, but not good enough to justify the price.  Not at all.  If you're willing to be charged exobitatnly for "the best" fine, but I'm not.  Especially when being "the best" is completely subjective.  Warmachine minis kick the tar out of most Citadel minatures, by the way.

From the other replies I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had trouble with GW store employees.  Granted most game/comic shop owners are completely unhelpful and can be downright mean, but GW certainly doesn't rise above it.

And sure I can and do proxy at home, but try playing in a league with proxies...or events.  Doesn't happen. Half the fun of the hobby is the camraderie and competition at events...events that I can't play in with proxied models.   It only makes sense that they don't allow proxied models, since they want to encourage sales, but don't try to tell me that its okay to proxy when it absolutely is not.  

In the last six months I've had seven of my friends drop GW.  They're longtime players (I've only dabbled).  Four dropped after the internet announcement.  The only way they felt GW models were worth it was with the 30% discount you could get at most places.  They'll still play with what they have, I'm sure, but they're done buying for good.  
« Last Edit: April 30, 2003, 02:43:00 PM by Mr_Pleasington »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2003, 04:51:48 PM »
The new White Dwarf came yesterday, and it's crammed full of stuff for the Eye of Terror campaign. I have to admit that I'm very excited--I really need to get some new paints and finish up by Space Wolves. Speaking of which, the Space Wolves are one of the four armies getting a sub-list in the new campaign codex, and the models look incredible. If only I had money...and time...but oh well.

I'd really like to do something with the campaign here on the site, but I'm not sure what. There's no easy way to play wargames via email. Perhaps this is a good time to test out some house rules and run a forum game of a fully RPG-version of Inquisitor.

There's lots of stuff we could do. Sound off with your ideas.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2003, 04:57:12 PM »
Heh. Timing. Me and Mr P have been bouncing ideas around regarding a 40k RPG. He wants to use the savage worlds ruleset...

Im also rather peeved - my brand new, still being undercoated, Tau army have a sideline role in the new campaign. We have our own area, sure, but we do not get to participate in the battle for the cadian gate, and damned if i am going to start painting my Iron Warriors - too boring. Metal + gold may be easy, but its not much fun to do. And the space wolves are on indefinite hold, until my wallet rocovers from the whammy of a Tau army...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2003, 04:59:52 PM by Charlie82 »

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2003, 05:02:55 PM »
humm i'm just wondering, I think that if I coded something it would be possible.  This is just a thought but here it is:
I can code a system in flash that will let you move peices around on a bord then save thier places.  I really don't feel like codeing all the proper movement rules, but I can do it in a grid system for easy measurement.  everything else would be done in the forum, but you could check positions on a map.  Well I could so all that other stuff but the more complicated it is the more likely I'll never finish it ;D.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2003, 05:11:27 PM »
I think, gentlemen, that it is time i started prodding spriggan to complete stuff when i talk to him in MSN.

Either that or i learn how to code in the rules myself...

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2003, 05:26:27 PM »
I'm not going to bother codeing any rules unless it's a TWG made game.  But I'll just mix a few features from the driod game with a grid and walla.  All I'm going to bother saveing is the unit name, grid location, faceing (north, south, east, west), and status.  Then let you log into the game and be able to move you're own peices.  And Fell or the GM could move any peice.  This I could get done in a few hours.  A whole game with rules and such...months.  And I'm not going to bother doing it unless there's intrest.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2003, 05:27:19 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2003, 05:29:19 PM »
I worry that a top-down approach like that would be too difficult to actually use--I can barely decipher the maps in their battle reports. If it worked, or course, I would glady use it, but I'll be very surprised if you get it to work.

I remember reading the thread with the Inquisitor RPG discussion, and that's mostly what gave me the idea. I don't know if we'd have to use Savage Worlds, though--Inquisitor has all the combat rules we need already. We'd need to add a skill system, but that's probably it. How does Savage Worlds skill system work?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2003, 05:33:24 PM »
It would be top down.  I could go Isometrec, but that's way to graphic intensive and would have to go tile based.  The program would be easy.  Be simpler then the one I'm doing now (the ball/brick game), the users would click and drag a piece and choose the faceing.  No rules at all, the GM or other players would have to check everything.  I'd let you do the maps, and have flash dynamical load them.  If you don't want me to do it then I wont bother.

Edit: I'll do a realy simple version with only 2 peices and no maps (just the grid).  Then you can decied on weither you like it or not.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2003, 05:37:44 PM by Spriggan »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2003, 05:38:33 PM »
It doesn't sound like something I would use--and I don't mean that as a comment on your abilities, since I don't think anyone anywhere could produce a program like this that I would like. Still, it would be nice to have something that facilitated online play. Do the other wargamers here have suggestions of how to make something like this useful?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2003, 06:34:56 PM »
Hm.

Make it work off a half-inch grid. A 40k model base is either half an inch or goes up in rough doubles. (1 inch... 2 inchh...). That way, movement is simply 12 squares.

TBH, it should not be that difficult to do the rules - most things operate off a simple 6 inch mechanic. Put in a dice roller and make the army lists operate off of Army Builder and voila.

Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2003, 06:44:49 PM »
On a RPG, eh. I'm more interested in a game that can be played online, due to my lack of people to play (most people i know are too un-geeky). TBH i don't care which system it is, as long as i know it or can get hold of it. I'm not interested that much in systems anyway, i operate off pure roleplaying as much as possible.

Otherwise, im collecting ideas. Give me a bit and i will post a list of what it should contain.

Fellfrosch