Author Topic: Mage Knight 2.0  (Read 4521 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: Mage Knight 2.0
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2003, 01:50:31 AM »
I hear you on Elven Archers...I have a ton!  That and Orc Warbeasts.  Which is good since KI and Orcs are my favorite armies.

I do have hte unique from the starter, 2 of him actually, since they were giving him away as a promo too.  And I was wrong, I have 3 relics...the magic bow, the magic rifle, and the Tezla Anti-magic staff.

My only domain is River Valley, which I find incredibly cool.

I'm really jazzed about the rule changes.  Surge and the Rule of Three really corrected my biggest problems with the 1.0 rules and the faction abilities and wide range of SAs offers so many more possibilities.  

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2003, 01:15:12 PM »
Maybe it's a good thing that I only got 1 equipment, only the promo guy has slots for them.  It's cool though, Decapitor a relic that removes any damages figure from the game.  But if you roll a critical miss the weilder is instead killed.

I was also putting together my terrin and realised that one of them is only 1 of 3 for an item (stone watch tower) so I need 2 more cards to ever use it, that sucks.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2003, 01:39:37 PM »
Yeah, I got one piece of the stone watchtower too...and 2 or the 3 for the leather tent.  And a stone wall, which I think is complete by itself.

One thing I'm still not completely sure on is what is and isn't constrained by Rule of Three.  I know attack bonuses aren't, but I think virtually every other modifier is.  I think.  The rules are a little unclear.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2003, 01:07:58 AM »
even attack bonuses are modified by the rule of three, but it's your modified bonus that can't be more then 3.  So if you have a +10 attack bonus it donsen't become 3 right away, but first you have to take all the negatives into affect first.  So you have a +10 to attack and you're trying to shoot me.  To hit my guy you have a -5 so you subtrack 5 from 10 leaveing 5 (of course) then you implement the rule of three.  

But I'm not sure exactly how to affect other things with it yet.  I still need to read more of the rules
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2003, 03:14:05 AM »
Actually, because Attack Bonuses are not modifiers and the Rule of Three only applies to modifiers, I believe that attack bonuses cannot be reduced by the RoT.

So if I have a +2 AB and it gets modified to a +5, the max it will be is +5.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2003, 05:32:45 AM »
I took that example out of the rule books Mr.P.  It specificaly says attack bonuses there.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2003, 02:00:33 PM »
If you are refering to the example in the Rule of Three section, it does not include attack bonuses.

The primary attacker's ability is being modified by a ranged combat formation and a back strike which are subjected to the Rule of Three because they are modifiers.  It makes no mention of an actual Attack Bonus.

That said, I don't have the book handy, but I did read that section a few times to try to get things straight.

The book goes out of its way to specify that attack bonuses are not modifiers and hence are not subject to the Rule of Three.

edit---just checked the online rules.  The attacked in the example does not have an Attack Bonus, as I said.  The section on the previous page on Modifiers clears up the difference.  
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 02:05:37 PM by Mr_Pleasington »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2003, 02:08:02 PM »
guess I'm just confused as to what attack modifiers is.  But from how I took the example it was the MODIFIED attack bonus that was subject to the rule of three.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2003, 04:16:46 PM »
Actually, this discussion has helped me work through my confusion on it.

Here's your answer:

Models that have and attack bonus have it listed overlapping the type of attack icon (right over the sword, for instance).  This is a bonus that applies to all rolls using that attack.  As above, this is not a modifier.

Modifiers are bonuses from formations, special abilities, relics, and proficiencies that add to your roll.  These are affected by the Rule of Three.

So the way it looks, you always get your attack bonus, if you have one, but every modifier to the roll is limited by the Rule of Three.