Author Topic: Warmech - Homebrew Help  (Read 7922 times)

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Re: Warmech - Homebrew Help
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2003, 10:41:40 PM »
How about a space pirate type faction? They raid ships in transit, and also do ground raids where they get their mechs , land on a planet, then proceed to blow things up, rape and pillage, etc.

Their mechs would be of a "Strike" nature. High offence, reasonable defences, fast speed, but without much staying power. They'd overheat quickly, but try to surround and overwhelm the enemy first.

They also would make use of many conscripts, usually as infantry. When there's a group of enemy mechs in fornt intent on killing you, and your enslavers in big mechs behind you, and quite prepared to step on you, who wouldn't fight?

I'll flesh it out more later, and think of a name.  I figure a group like this could be any size and still work.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2003, 01:52:54 AM »
Pirates are definitely good and will make a good sub-faction.

I should point out that while there will be some unique mechs to the factions, by the time of the game most designs have been stolen and copied.  That way any faction can field any mech on tabletop (again, like battletech), though if they want to stick to the fluff the player will be encouraged to take certain mechs.  

So pirates wouldn't have their own mechs, per se, but would have designs they had bought or salvaged.

Did I mention I'm trying to create a construction system so players can build their own mechs?  Trying to get that worked out and balanced is what's really slowing me down...

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2003, 07:55:56 PM »
Ok, I'm not really familier with these other mech games, so may I ask if everyone can use the same mechs, what distinguishes the factions? How is playing one different from another if they all use the same hardware?
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2003, 04:48:53 AM »
It's kind of odd, JP

Unlike game like 40K with very strict, codified army lists, in Battletech you can field whatever mechs you want...even those you design if permissable...for any given faction.

That  said, if you want to be a purist you would only take a mech that your faction  is known to use a lot.  The BT books have list that show you how rare it is for a faction to field a certain mech.  

The big division in Battletech is between Inner Sphere and Clan technology which are virutally incompatible with each other, thus dividing the setting into two major factions, subdivided into a lot of less major factions, subdivided into a lot of minor factions.  That's one thing that makes the Battletech univerese so intimidating...there's a lot of history and detail there.  Most Battletech fans are EXTREMELY loyal to their chosen faction.