Author Topic: Mage Knight 2.0  (Read 4725 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Mage Knight 2.0
« on: July 29, 2003, 04:56:07 PM »
They call it 2.0, but it's actually very similar--old sets are still 100% compatible, and the powers and basic rules aren't changing. They are adding a few things, however, that sound pretty fun.

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/mageknight/article.asp?cid=38071&frame=news

I have to say, though, I'm pretty upset about the fact that every starter will include the same set figure. It's free, I suppose, but I'd rather have a free random figure.

Here's a more detailed look at the new dial: http://www.wizkidsgames.com/mageknight/article.asp?frame=howtoplay&cid=36912
« Last Edit: July 29, 2003, 05:01:26 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Mage Knight 2.0
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 05:24:34 PM »
Okay. I can see what they're tryin gto do here, and I like some of it--but I'll have to be seriously convinced about some of the other stuff. It looks like we'll be getting some new factions, which is fine, and we'll be getting some subfactions--which, according to the description, is the new Mage Knight version of Heroclix Team Abilities. I think team abilities are wonderful, and the system of factions and subfactions has a ton of very exciting possibilities. To that I say huzzah.

The new dial window is slightly larger to accomodate the "ability nexus," which is essentially a fifth slot for a special ability. Given that Mage Knight already incorporates up to two abilities per stat, the nexus seems designed to let them use three powers for a single stat--which makes sense, given that the damage stat is already eaten up by the green starting marker. I doubt it will be used often, and it's pretty easy to read, so I doubt it will make an enormous impact. To that I say meh.

The new stats, I think, are way more confusing that they need to be. Instead of five (speed, attack, defense, damage, range) we get seven (speed, attack, defense, damage, range, ranged damage, and attack bonus), and on top of that we have all kinds of wacky crap like damage type and weapon proficiency. The dial is cluttered, and needlessly so in my opinion--does the game really need attack bonuses? Are damage types important enough to warrant the confusion they'll cause? Hasn't a single damage stat served us well this far? Adding in all of this new info makes the game harder to play without adding any new depth--just extraneous details that the old system handled more elegantly. To that I say boo.

I appreciate where they're going here--they've refined the clix system over the past several games, and they wanted to apply some of the new advancements to Mage Knight to make it work better. Team abilities and items seem like a good way of doing this, and the ability nexus will help counteract some flaws in the initial design of the special abilities. But some of the other changes seem tacked on for the sake of being different, and while they won't ruin the game I don't think they'll help it much either. I'm willin gto be convinced, though, so we'll see what happens in November when it comes out.

(I'd like to point out, though, that the addition of items will make our old plans for Mage Knight Diablo 2 much more feasible. I'll have to put some more thought into that...)
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 11:09:30 PM »
Someday you'll have to teach us how to play and have a little mini-tournament with all your Heroclix characters, Fell. Maybe we'd understand what you're saying then.  :)
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2003, 05:14:26 AM »
Don't worry, Fell, I hear ya!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2003, 06:56:15 PM »
This page has some of the new special abilities and all of the new team abilities. Very cool stuff: http://www.wizkidsgames.com/mageknight/article.asp?cid=38246&frame=howtoplay

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2003, 03:10:42 AM »
The more I hear of the update the more I like it.  I always enjoyed Mage Knight, but never played as much as I would have liked.  I think I'm going to be all over the relaunch.

I think these new abilities and the backward compatability sold me on it.  I'll reserve final judgement until  I get a better look at things, but so far, so good!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2003, 03:35:52 AM »
I'm saveing up for 1 starter and 2 boosters, so Fell you've got to teach me to play once it's out.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2003, 03:49:38 AM »
Sprig, the rules for the game are suprisingly simple.  They make it very easy to learn, but still maintain a lot of strategy.  Here's the probable timeline:

Minute 0:  Open package, admire figs
Minute 1:  Pick up rulebook, start reading.
Minute 5:  Pick up Special ABility card, peruse, continue reading rules
Minute 7:  Rules well grasped, start thinking up strategy.
Minute 8:  Play!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2003, 11:01:34 AM »
Spriggan, you can download all the rules you ever need off the internet :)

http://www.wizkids.com is the site i think.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2003, 03:13:56 AM »
Try www.wizkidsgames.com instead.

You might have a tad bit more success.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2003, 08:31:16 PM »
I haven't actually read through this yet, so I can't vouch for it's usefulness in learning how the game works, but it looks cool and should give you an idea.

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/mageknight/article.asp?cid=38328&frame=gameresources

Edit: I just read through it, and it's very good.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 10:37:34 PM by Fellfrosch »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2003, 03:07:27 PM »
So it's out now, as of yesterday I believe, and in my current situation I can't erally justify going out and buying any. Has anybody tried it out yet? Are the new rules confusing? Are the relics cool? What say ye?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2003, 08:05:00 PM »
Well I got one starter and 4 boosters.  I'm still looking though things but I think I got a coupple cool things.  Anyway I'm basicaly free to get together bascialy anytime in the next two weeks.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2003, 12:02:16 AM »
Sigh

I said I was out, but after reading the rules I couldn't resist.

They fixed the major problems I had with 1.0 and did it simply.

Plus I have the hundreds of 1.0 figs.

So I bought a starter and 5 boosters.  Sigh.  I really shouldn't have.  

No Uniques yet and I've gotten almost all constructed terrain.  Only one relic other than the one in the starter.  I really want to get soem domains.

I'm very impressed.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2003, 12:28:13 AM »
I got 1 unique it was a speical one that came as a bonus with my starter.  The only relic I got was the one with the starter, and I have 2 domains.  I realy like the terran cards, but they should have packaged them sepertaly in like a card only booster, there's not reason to get them in the figure booster since the domains and relics are what people want.

LOL also I could make a 300 point elvan archer army easly with all the ones I got.