Author Topic: A Heroclix Idea  (Read 2740 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
A Heroclix Idea
« on: December 29, 2003, 03:49:39 PM »
Every time I get a new set of Heroclix guys, I find myself fascinated by the characters I don't know--and frustrated by how hard it can be to find useful, accessible bios of comics characters. I think that Heroclix is a great way of getting people interested in comics, and has a lot of cross-sell potential--Indy Heroclix especially, because the characters are all so new--but it will never work if people can't figure out who a certain character is and where they can go to read about his or her adventures.

So I'm thinking this to myself, and I'm surfing the net with mixed results, when finally I tell myself, "I wish someone would just make a comics bio list geared directly to Heroclix." And then I remember that I'm the editor of a freaking game site, and why don't I just stop whining and do it myself?

So this is what I'd like to set up: a searchable database of all Heroclix characters, updated with each new set, that lets you type in a name and call up a quick bio and some pictures (all with appropriate copyright info, of course). If someone pulls a Marrow out of their booster pack and wants to find out who she is, they can come here, type in her name, and out pops a character history complete with origin, allies, enemies, key plot points, and which major titles they can go to to read about her (with links to the publisher's site). Nothing horrendously extensive--not every issue number, by any means--but enough to give you a feel for the character.

This will require a lot of work, which is why I turn to you guys. Who's interested in helping to compile this type of data? What sort of info would you like to have included? Ideally, such a database would also be searchable by stats and powers and point cost and such, but that's secondary and we can put it on hold indefinitely. Bios are the most important element right now.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

House of Mustard

• Staff
  • Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Re: A Heroclix Idea
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 04:16:19 PM »
That's a really stinking good idea.

Or, did you want more feedback than simple praise?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 04:16:52 PM by House_of_Mustard »
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 04:40:35 PM »
You need:
- issue and date of first appearance.
- current title (that is, series) (if any) in print
- brief description of origin and abilities
- publisher and creator.
- best story would be nice too.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 09:06:05 PM »
I think that sounds like a great list. Now all I need is to convince Tage to build me a database to house it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 02:28:39 AM »
I'll do the rest of the codeing Fell.  I don't know much about Databases (except sending and retreving info).  But I'll be happy to do all the search functions and the like.  If you can't convince Tage, we can still use Text files, it'll be more messy for me as the coder but not for anyone inputing or retreving info.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 02:29:17 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 12:21:32 AM »
That is a great idea. I look forward to it happening.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

House of Mustard

• Staff
  • Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 11:00:19 AM »
Well, it probably won't.  Last night Fell found a database that is exactly what he is talking about doing here.  I can't remember the link, but I'm sure he'll post it.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 07:46:07 PM »
http://members.aol.com/thefightingfury/whoclix/guide.htm

It's not exactly what I was talking about, but it's pretty close. Saves me a lot of trouble.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2004, 02:22:12 AM »
so is this idea dead in the water now?  Because we could do something a LOT cooler that that unserchable, un-spiffy site.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 07:20:41 AM »
I'm going to cautiously agree with spriggan from a 'I'd like the engine but can't be bothered doing any work on it' vantage point :P
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch