Author Topic: weekly fiction?  (Read 12217 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
weekly fiction?
« on: September 06, 2003, 12:16:50 AM »
I'm considering taking one of these half-arsed ideas I had in high school and doign a weekly serial.

If I did so, would you rather see
Comedic space-faring, post-apocalyptic androids?
OR
Comedic epic fantasy staring a ninja alter-ego of mine?
OR
four-color superheroes fighting against mysterious  oppression, sort of a Teen Titans meets X-Men meets The Prisoner
OR
Me shut my big yap.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: weekly fiction?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2003, 12:24:40 AM »
What if we did it like a camp story. You start, then someone else takes what you wrote and writes something. And so on.

Eh, Eh?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2003, 12:28:02 AM »
There's too much administration involved with that. I mean, you can do it on the forum, but what if you're writing some, and you post, only to discover that someone else posted right before you did, and so you look like a dork for not taking into account events immediately preceding your post. (like someone dies, and then you have that someone doing something that requires being alive.

So I don't want to administer a chain novel, the last three I've been in have died coming out the starting gate. if you do something on the forum, I will probably post to it, but I won't be telling anyone it's their turn.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2003, 12:31:42 AM »
We could draw straws and give that person a week to do it. Then on sunday or monday they post it, and the next person gets to it. So on and so forth.
                William S. Burroughs

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2003, 12:35:57 AM »
Like I said, i'll probably participate if someone else runs the show (like, telling me when it's my turn). A week is a long time to wait for something, is the problem. Especially if a contributer ends up dropping the ball one week. Then you have to wait TWO weeks for a new installment. Shorter wait times, though, incline people to being more likely to drop it, so you still may end up with a long lag time. Either way has advantages and disadvantages.
One suggestion, limit the number of people to 4 or 5, or else you have to wait far too long, even if each person only has two days to take his turn.

But I was thinking of something more cohesive and consistant for my project. Are you interested in seeing that? if not, again, I'll just not do it. I'm just trying to get a feel for what types of things i should try to dedicate my energies into.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2003, 12:36:49 AM by SaintEhlers »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2003, 02:26:33 AM »
Ithinkit'sbest I dont comment on this since it's too lame for words.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2003, 02:31:52 AM »
Your lame dude. :P
                William S. Burroughs

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2003, 02:48:58 AM »
Listen wanting to do something like this on the forum is cool and can be fun. It's a bad Idea to put it as a feature on main page.  TWG isn't a fiction site,we cannot do everything.  That'll spread us out too thin. We have limited resources.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2003, 02:51:28 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2003, 02:54:51 AM »
Man did someone pee in your breakfast cereal today sprig?
Geez your acting like a pill.

If Eric or anyone else wants to write a serial story why should the fact that TWG hasn't done that yet bother you. Heck, Fell's published my cooking articles.

Fiction if well done can be a heck of a draw.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2003, 02:59:11 AM »
again, stop with the insults. The LAST post made more sense, but didn't really justify anything. I guess maybe I should just be glad you're not name calling though.

Once more, fine, don't like it. But either say "i don't like it" and leave it at that, or give me reasons we can discuss.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2003, 03:01:44 AM »
we shouldn't try to expand out to other places right now.  We need to strengthen the area's we've allready got.   Our time and energy should be spent reinforceing the gameing aspect  which iswhy people come.  If we start doing some fiction then we spend less time on the other stuff and we loose people. We might get a few new fiction buffs but webfiction has a bad stygma on it.  SE's a goog writer but that's not going to keep people from rolling their eyes at it.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2003, 03:09:29 AM »
Thank you for that statement. Now your position makes sense. I don't agree with it, necessarily, but we don't have to agree.

Just so you know, reviews will still be coming. I have a huge pile of RPG books, card games, and board games that I'm reading rather than my normal fiction reading. I'm doing about two articles a week. and I don't intend to change that unless I run out of things to review.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2003, 11:15:06 AM »
Just a word of warning: if you do it, make sure it keeps going. Nothing looks worse than a section of the site with 2/3 artices in it.

But i would prefer a story about someone who fails to grasp the feeling and gameplay of vampire ;)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2003, 12:04:41 PM »
But i would prefer a story about someone who fails to grasp the feeling and gameplay of vampire ;)

Are you suggesting that would be autobiographical when I wrote it?
I think fiction about gamers works better as a comic. There's too much description about someone describing for prose. Though if you had some good hooks for relationships between the gamers, that would work, and you could switch between prose of the gamers and prose about the actual adventure, story within a story... I'll have to think about that. I think I'd have to understand more about the feeling and gameplay of Vampire before I could write a story about a guy who didn't understand it. I'm sure my ignorance is much more amusing to you than it is to me.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2003, 12:12:50 PM »
I find many things about you amusing SE.

But seriously, that idea of the adventure the guys play being used to explore them, and their relationships is really interesting. That... could make for a good way to show them in new lights without corny crap. Just try to avoid the usual webcomic thing of them just dressing differently... they should play usual (ie, different from themselves) characters, who in a book could be fully fleshed out and realised, so that the RPG adventure becomes a little story in its own right, but still using t to explore the players. Hum.

/me goes away to think about that some more
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch