Author Topic: "Staff" picks  (Read 13753 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: "Staff" picks
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2003, 03:11:43 AM »
My opinion dosen't matter, the only ones that do are Fell and Tage's.  I'm not insulting you so don't get  your pantys in a wad.  Yes it's you time,and that time should be spent how you  want, But if your going to spend it for TWG then it should be something that's worth your time.

I'm sorry if you think I'm being a jerk but this is how I am.  I'll tell you what I realy think and not suger coat it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2003, 03:22:29 AM »
It's a stupid idea

That provides neither helpful information nor friendly advice. There IS no other way to take that then be insulted. So please don't try to pretend I'm over reacting when I call you on it.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2003, 03:31:37 AM »
I insulted your idea, not you. There's a difference there.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2003, 03:32:36 AM »
It amounts to the same thing, your semantics aside.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2003, 03:33:44 AM »
Only if you're overly sensitive to critisim.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2003, 03:38:23 AM »
Not at all.

When you insult an idea, you insult the process. You effectively say that the originator cannot think properly.

This is why in couth society we find nice ways to say that ideas aren't workable.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2003, 03:42:24 AM »
To their bosses maybe but not their peers.  Face it "I think that it's a stupid idea" isn't an insult.  Stop trying to play victim.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2003, 03:45:40 AM »
Gentlemen,

This behavior is downright silly and immature, akin to a schoolyard fight.   I highly recommend you both take a step back and relax a few minutes and think about just how all of this bickering looks.  You're both smarter than this.

If you can't apologize then at least take this out of public view and into email.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2003, 03:50:40 AM »
Sprig, I'm not playing a victim. I'm explaining that YOU insulted ME. Yes, *I* was offended by the way you approached tonight's discussion. YOu were not in ANY way polite when you said those things. You'd have be believe that you didn't intend those to be harsh. Ok, then you must be socially inept. Because that's not how people treat each other when they're being friends. It's rude, by ANY standard. THAT is why it upset me, because I thought that we could discourse with intelligence, without resorting to insipid remarks.

It's a fact of our society, Sprig, when you insult a man's remarks, you insult the man. It's not overly sensitive to think that it's inappropriate to verbally abuse someone's thoughts and ideas like that.

You may argue differently, but you'd ignoring my point. That at the very least, that kind of discussion is offensive to ME. No matter who you said it about.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2003, 03:54:38 AM »
While true it's not mature no one has ever credited me for being a bastion of maturity.  I'm not going to aplogize where there's nothing to be apologized for.  Immature, maybe, but I feel speaking honesly is mature, even if the way it was said wasn't PC.  There was no personal attack, and if I cannot critisie someone's ideas then I might as well move to cuba.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2003, 04:07:51 AM »
Fine what ever SE, just say you don't like to be critisied.  don't try to rationalise it and blame other people.

If I had said. "My dear sir I do beleave your idea is rubbish!" would that had made a difference, no.  So how I said it dosen't make a differnce.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2003, 04:41:28 AM by Spriggan »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2003, 10:42:09 AM »
You're being deliberately obtuse. Please believe me this time when I say it has NOTHING to do with whether you like the idea. It's the way you're a complete jerk about responding to it.

Let me give you two examples:

You're interested in a girl, and you think she likes you. She announces she wants to go to a fashion show, which you have absolutely no interest in. Do you say "That's so lame I'm not going to even respond to it?" (If so, that will leave you single for many years -- and incidentally, if it's too lame to respond to, why did you respond?)

Second example. You're in a class, and someone proposes a new approach to a problem. One that you think obviously won't work. Do you say to the class "That's a stupid idea?" If so, I'll bet you don't have any friends in that class.

There are ways we're supposed to interact with people. It's not about honesty. again, since you've missed this point many, many times. IT'S NOT ABOUT HONESTY. It's not about whether you like or dislike an idea. Mr. P didn't like the idea either, you don't see that I responded badly to him. It's completely about your unacceptable way of stating your opinion. One can disagree with something without being insulting. That is how people can function in polite society.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2003, 11:09:57 AM »
This is what happens when i dont check the forum...

SE, i like the idea. I will probably contribute, although i have not read a vast variety of stuff.

And Spriggan, damn.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2003, 03:43:24 PM »
Okay. As perhaps the only recognizable authority figure here, I'm telling you both to knock it off. Spriggan, your comment was legitimate but you presented it far more aggressively than you should have. SE, you should have dropped this argument several posts ago.

Now kiss and make up :)
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2003, 10:46:04 AM »
/me looks puzzled

Fell is an authority figure?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch