Author Topic: D&D minies  (Read 2643 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
D&D minies
« on: June 01, 2004, 09:07:47 AM »
Don't know what I'd do with them, but I'm am very tempted to get some of these D&D minature packs that contain huge monsters

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040516a

scroll down about half way and you'll see a few actual size pictures.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 06:22:01 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: D&D minnies
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 04:08:30 PM »
Hum.  You know, they're kind of competitors, but if WotC and Wizkids got together and did 'DnD' Mageknight expansions, maybe it would revitalize the line.  I hear that Mageknight doesn't sell half as well as other clix--maybe because it doesn't have the power of a good media tie-in.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 07:34:54 PM »
Spriggan! I thought you had good taste :(

Those mini's are ugly.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 10:35:26 PM »
But they're huge that's why I want them.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 10:36:03 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 11:34:29 PM »
Yes, who cars if they are ugly. THEY'RE BIG. And as all good Americans know, bigger is always better.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 12:55:30 AM »
Sorry, but a big Miniture seems to be kinda missing the point. They call it miniture for a reason. Because it's small.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 03:50:21 AM »
Then you probaly don't understand why this fig is so cool then.
http://www.wizkidsgames.com/heroclix/marvel/howtoplay.asp?cid=38735

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 04:15:59 AM »
Oh that one I understand. I mean, it's Galactus, they had to make it that big to be accurate. Besides, it's so big it's amusing. The minis in that thing were just fairly big. Nothing amusingly cool, or anything.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 07:50:59 AM »
actually, the WotC ones are big because they're to scale. (The Galactus one is NOT to scale, it's just big). And I didn't think they were that awful looking. If I could pick and choose my monster minis, and not have to get random boxes or pay for "rare" prices, I'd probably pick up a few.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 08:23:15 AM »
To be fair though makeing Galaticus to scale would make that fig like 3x larger, which would make it unreasonable for use in the game.  But SE's right there are some nice figs in the D&D set, not as many as there are in wizkids stuff but there are a few that I like.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2004, 07:33:14 AM »
So I sorta got the ones Fell sent me, EUOL's holding on to them for a massive dnd battle.  I realy like the Giant T-Rex.  So I went to Games People Play to pick up another booster or 2 and got a Cloud Giant and a bunch of cool looking figs.

Thing I was surprised about is how well these sell.  GPP told me it's one of their topselling games, and probaly sells more units then any other table top game.  Of course most people use them for the roleplaying aspect instead of the miniture game.  Also Wizards dosen't make large amounts of boosters for each set.  And usely once they sell out their gone for good, no reprintings.  The strange thing is that the start sets (which came out last October) have been sold out for months and they're the only way to get the miniture rules.  There is a new starter set comming out in october though.

I think with what I got I have enough for what I want them for, acutal Dnd games, but I was hopeing on getting one of the cooler looking giant figs.  At $20 a shot I don't think I'll be buying any more of the giant expansions.  You get 9 figs, 8 normals and 1 giant.  And a regular booster is $10 for 8 normal sized figs.  

I think I'll try and convince 42 to play around with me on the minture game though, see how it compairs to clix.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2004, 07:44:45 AM »
Wow I though Entropy would have flamed me by now for posting about these.  Guess he's realy just a softie on the inside.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2004, 08:49:26 AM »
Back in St. Louis these things sell like hotcakes.  A friend of mine works in a gaming store and couldn't believe the rate they flew off the shelves...but nobody any of us know have actually played the minis game.  Everyone I know, including myself, use them for roleplaying.

I'm just happy I pulled a Huge Red Dragon after getting two Cloud Giants in my GoL packs.

Some shops are breaking down boxes and selling minis by theme: five undead, and orc raiding band, bunch o' adventureres, elementals, etc.   For cheap too.  That's how I'd wish they'd come anyway.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2004, 09:14:31 AM »
well, that's why I don't buy them. I want specific minis. Not this random crap. It just means spending more money and maybe getting stuff I don't need/want.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2004, 09:41:39 AM »
But it is smarter for Wizards to sell them randomly.  Lots of people, includeing me, like not knowing what's in the packages.  It makes me want to buy more.  That being said I wish they did two things.

Sell sets of adventureres (they could have crappy or no-stats for the minnies game) and sell random boosters by encounter rateing.  So you could by a box that said encounter challence rateing 5 and all the figs would add up to one challenge rateing 5 fight.  Or have it so there were several mobs there that would equal that level for mulitple fights (like a dungeon).

We made fun of the first sets modeling and painting, but Wiz has realy improved.  The sets I got had much nicer sculpts and paint jobs (I love how the Raksasha looks).  For the most part they're better done then Mageknight.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 09:42:12 AM by Spriggan »