Author Topic: Modeling for tabletop games  (Read 1413 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Modeling for tabletop games
« on: October 08, 2004, 07:12:10 AM »
So I was wondering if anyone has tried to use the molds from Hirst Arts
http://www.hirstarts.com/

They look really good and it seems like you could build just about anything from them.... Still the molds are expensive, and so is plaster.... and resin.

Still I can build a gazillion more things with his kits than I can buy commercially and they are definitely sturdier.

Some thoughts on their stuff
It would be really cool to use some of the sets to build a modern city for a super hero game especially if you used the gothic sets.

I would also like to use those sets for Pinnacles Rippers game.

There is a lack of Sci-fi Sets... but the few that are included are pretty cool.

This guy has a lot of scenic tips available on his site too.

The other site that looked like it might put me into bankruptcy is Crusader29s site

http://www.crusader29.com/

I likes the gothic city stuff...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Modeling for tabletop games
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 11:00:11 AM »
I've thought a lot about making my own molds for table-top gaming, but it is quit time consuming. I did a lot of cast molding in my sculpture classes in college. It take patience. Also, there can be a large expense in mold casting. And you have to be careful to take care of the mold, course even then the molds rarely make more than a few casts before detail start to chip off.

I've had the best results with loss-wax-bronze casting, but that is definitely out of the budget of most gamers. And is way too time consuming even for the best time-wasters.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 03:34:54 PM »
A friend of my dad's used to design, cast and paint all of his own miniatures, and he had huge armies of them all over his house. I don't think we ever got to see them, but it always sounded so dang cool that I think it's one of the reasons Mustard and I got into minis in the first place.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 06:27:42 PM »
hmm well these molds are for miniature terrain, and you can use plaster of paris for them (or dental plaster if you want something more durable...

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 08:53:55 AM »
If you put a good coating, or seven, of polyurethane over plater-of-paris casts, they actually become quite durable. Just be sure to paint first. Course, painting plaster-of-paris can be tricking because of its high absorbancy and lightening properties. Course, dying the plaster-of-paris can help this, but it takes a lot of experimentation and pratice to get good at it. Airbrushing over a thin layer of polyurethane and then applying more urethane can achieve some wonderful results.

I've spent a lot of time working with plaster-of-paris. I've even made my own plaster-of-paris from scratch minerals once. Don't remember how to do it again, but I know it's possible.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 12:13:19 PM »
the only thing that looks tricky is the shrinkage of the blocks...

I think Im going to buy a couple of molds and try them though.