Author Topic: review: SWM: Clone Strike  (Read 1431 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
review: SWM: Clone Strike
« on: January 20, 2005, 10:44:30 AM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=957

One thing I'm not clear on, Sprig. Is it AFTER this expansion that the droids have only one building strategy decision? Or is it before the expansion?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: review: SWM: Clone Strike
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 08:16:52 PM »
after.  The droid faction (sepertists) only appeared in this expansion.  

I kept this expansion the same score as the base set becasue it does add to the game in many ways and is a good expasion.  I took out a part where I was complaineing how future sets are realy going to have to add a few things to keep the sets selling (becasue no one wants the same sets over and over again).

1) Make the factions more distinct.  Right now they're different in realy only 2 ways.  The first is modle sculpts and the second is a few commander effects.  Though, unlike D&D minis, commanders aren't nessaccery.

2) Make the game less depended on rares.  Rgiht now I'm mixed on how rare's are going.  I like how they actualy feel like someone in the movies or books where they can take down lots of peon characters with out much effort.  Of course that's not nessaccerly a good thing in the game.  The game does have a way to combine fire so instead of makeing 2 or more attacks you make one attack with a bonus to hit.  Good players could beat some rares that way others realy just kick too much butt.  So, for example, Yoda could easly take down his point total in stormtroopers (since a trooper needs a 17 to hit him, and then would need to hit him 13 times to kill him) with out much hassle at all.  Of course most people will counter a rare with another rare, but it does take some fun out of the game.

Even if these changes aren't made SWM will still be a fun game, that's never going to change.  Though people will stop buying expansions becasue the new sets wont add much to the game except a new version of Luke or other rares.  And I'm not the type to spend my money like that.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 12:03:06 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: review: SWM: Clone Strike
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 06:46:23 AM »
Don't feel like creating a new thread for this, but there was a SW chat yesterday at Wizards and there were some cool things mentioned.

The Revenge of the Sith set (being released with the movie), will be adding a monted map much like a boardgames.

wotc_robwatkins says, "The reduced number of figures in the Revenge of the Sith starter was due to a shift in focus for that starter. It will not contain any random miniatures. It is meant as an entry point into the Star Wars game, so it was given as much of a "board game" feel as possible. A mounted map board means it is on cardboard, similar to a Monopoly or Clue board. The RotS starter is intended to make it easier to teach people how to play the game. /ga"

Like Wizkids Sentinals/Senistro Wizards are releaseing an AT-AT later in the year.
wotc_robwatkins says, "The AT-ST will be in the Universe set. I believe its stats will be the same as seen in Ultimate Missions, except the point cost has been reduced to 54. The AT-AT would be a separate item that comes with a double sided map sheet. I believe the AT-AT will be 13" tall, 5" wide, and 15" long. /ga"

And finaly there was a mention of KotOR figues in a future set.
There are currently no plans for NJO to get its own starter. The Knights of the Old Republic, Clone Wars, Rebellion, and New Jedi Order eras are likely to be presented together in sets. /ga"

And the bad news.  Both the New Republic and Yuuzhan Vong will be sets.  
wotc_robwatkins says, "The Universe set has 7 factions... Republic, Separatist, Fringe, Imperial, Rebel, New Republic, and Yuuzhan Vong. So yes, both of the ones you listed will become their own factions. /ga"

I'm fine with them adding more factions, but there were no specific plans mentioned on makeing the factions more Unique.  Though no one asked that specific question.

Also the next set might see a price increase (i'm not putting a quote in since the WoTC guy said he has noting to do with priceing), that's a bad thing.  SWM and DNDM is allready $12 (D&D minis use to be $9 one year ago) so most people think a booster will goto $15.  I don't know if it has to do with the cost of oil, greed or other reasons but I do know $15 is too pricey for me.  Heck $12 is a little on the expensive side.  Also, if it is oil, as has been suggested by others, it dosen't seam to have affected Wizkids.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 06:50:18 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.