Author Topic: Diplomancy: Illuminati secret wars  (Read 1864 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Diplomancy: Illuminati secret wars
« on: February 09, 2005, 08:20:57 PM »
Hokay. JP, let us begin.

Now, bearing in mind your comments:
I am SO in. I'm thinking multiple battlefields, so you can fight with Wealth, political power, Millitary power or whatever. Many different tactics, shifting alliances, and secrets nd stuff from other players, so that you always have several tricks up your sleeve. That is, for example, you could be about to completely wipe them out with a type of wealth victory, by having so much money in your coffers that you can buy the opponent out from underneath them, and they wouldn't even know, but at the same time, you don't realise that your leading organisation pulling in the money is really controlled by your opponent.

here is my thoughts on the multiple fights idea.

We use one battlefield but several unit types on it. My choices would be:
Covert military (ie, Special Forces)
Financial
Political
Revolutionary (have this be sort of political, sort of military - it can fight both but doesn't count as either, and the owning player decides which it counts as that turn. Also, it cannot hold production centres. This means the unit is a great all rounder but is not overbalanced.)

Now these units all build from seperate production centres. To take the UK as an example, If we divide it into 5 parts - Scotland, North Ireland, North England, South England/wales and London (as its own sector) then we could say that North England has Covert Military (the SAS base is in the north I believe), South has political (the south tends to make policy here in the UK), North Ireland has Revolutionary (IRA) and London has financial (stock exchange). A side only counts as having a production centre if the appropriate unit type is in that area (so you cannot use military units to build political units - while that kind of makes sense, its more difficult if it has to be the specific type). Each square can have multiple types in it, but only one of each.

Conflicts proceed much as they do in the normal version.

Other ideas:

Work in a card system. Standard deck, each turn a player draws a card. If its a number, don't tell anyone but it cannot do anything. If a face, it has a special ability - air strikes, financial crashes, religious/ethnic uprisings, Coup-de-tat's. Either create a unit of the appropriate type at a production centre of your choosing or destroy one of your opponents. Red destroys, black creates. Jokers do something else. Maybe let you choose which effect you want. Can save a card for 1 turn only, so players have a limited ability to either bluff ('I will destroy your unit in Moscow, letting in Johns unit, unless you do this...') or prepare a move, but cannot just sit on the card all day.

Increase the map size and date - make it the whole world, 2010, make country sizes larger and smaller depending on relative importance. Ie, africa is small, Europe and America are massive. Make plenty of production centres.

As for factions, depends on how you want it to be. If straight up, make them NWO, Bavarian Illuminati, Scientific Congress, Global Christian Alliance etc etc. If comedy, Gnomes of Zurich, Cthulhu, Global Nerd Consortium etc.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Re: Diplomancy: Illuminati secret wars
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 10:21:30 PM »
Yeah, I like the layered battelground idea. As far as I'm concerned, I think their should be six ways to win:

Financial

Political

Millitary

Religious Indoctrination

Covert Culture Domination

and one other, I like the sound of six.

Now, I think every way to win should be a little different. I also think it's necessary that they interact in strage ways - A political victory should be able to takeover millitary units, for example, while a millitary victory should be able to coup and take over political units. Plus, each type of unit should work a little differently - a culture unit can make weak, ranged strikes to slowly take over enemies or such. At the same time, the added complexity shouldn't add great amounts of luck - the game should still be 90% skill and diplomacy. The complexity should add more options.

Cards are a very good idea, because having hidden tricks suits it. I also think only a semi-serious setting. Bavarian Illuminati, Nerd World Order, etc. Maybe a homosexual bid to take over the world.

Also, if we want to publish this in any way, keep in mind we're breaking about twenty steve jackson copyrights.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 06:06:09 AM »
Hardly. If we keep it straight, which I prefer, then we should be fine. You cannot copyright the name of a real-life organisation than isn't you. I think.

And I think they shouldn't be able to interact just so that they can move around independant of each other. Illuminati shouldn't be a game about solid blocks of control, it should be a scattered empire made up of little bits and pieces.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 07:22:38 PM »
They shouldn't DIRECTLY interact, no. But I really like the idea of having what looks like a weak cult or something suddenly become an entire army. The key here, is they don't interact as normal things, but can swing and shift and interfere with each other. I mean, having political control should ordinarily embody some kind of millitary control, but coups happen.

And yes, Steve Jackson DOES have copyright on the name and the symbol. Steve Jackson IS the Illuminati. We'd be wise not to mess with the man.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 10:12:36 PM »
Hum. Maybe use cards for that? That could be the joker - change any unit of any type owned by anyone to another type (but it stays with its owner).

And steve jackson is an infamous winner.

Fellfrosch