Author Topic: MJ12 - Tower of Cheapness!  (Read 1477 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
MJ12 - Tower of Cheapness!
« on: July 29, 2005, 03:38:10 AM »
You guys know I'm always looking for deals, being the game whor...enthusiast that I am.  Recently, I've been hanging out at Majestic 12 games site.  They're a little known company that makes fun, fast-playing, strategic mini games.  Virtually every game is designed to be entirely customizable so you can use it with any mini you want.

Link:  http://www.mj12games.com/

They just announced a random sale and you can get the print copies of 2 of their best works for $1.00 each.  Quick reviews:

ARES:  This is the first game I bought from them.  I've seen it run everything from Warhammer to Lord of the Rings.  If you go to cons you may have seen the big Fischer-Price battle they wage with this.  Seeing big toys battle it out sold me on the game.  You get the game and the bestiary in the expanded edition.  That package cost me $20 when I got it at a con a few years ago.

Starmada: Compendium - Their flagship game.  Again, you may have seen them run this at con games as they usually do the ever-popular Star Wars vs. Star Trek.  The basic game is solid and fun and there are countless optional rules you can apply to fine tune the experience.  The compendium includes the basic rules and the setting...including fleet lists.  The setting is nothing special.  
For a buck, you can't beat this.

One note - The above Compendium is not the latest version of the rules.  The latest version, Starmada X, came out about a year ago and just fine-tuned things.  There's not a terrible amount of difference between versions and there's even a free update document available to bring Compendium up to speed with X.  

It's not on sale, but I also highly recommend For the Masses.  Great stuff.  And Jeffe, you'd like Iron Stars, I'm certain.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 03:38:36 AM by Mr_Pleasington »