Author Topic: Spriggan spelling >_<  (Read 10863 times)

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
Re: Spriggan spelling >_<
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2003, 11:51:41 AM »
Exactly. What do you teach, Eng 115?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2003, 07:03:52 PM »
That and 318.  I didn't say anything about being a professor, however.  My intention was to note that all of us make grammatical mistakes.  In the post directly above mine, for instance, MoD used a comma where she probably should have used a question mark.  I began my paragraph with a fragment.  We all do it, so why make excessive mockery of my brother?  There are an unusual number of people with English degrees (or Comp Lit, or editing, blah blah blah. . .)  on this board.  Poor Sprig should be commended for dealing so well with our exaggerated sensibilities.  We tease him, that's okay, but let's not get on his back too much, okay?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 07:11:07 PM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2003, 07:18:01 PM »
Hear hear.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2003, 09:33:49 PM »
But if everyone's not teasing someone else, they might start teasing ME

.... more

... than they already do.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2003, 12:11:48 AM »
Why don't we just tease MoD as usual? After all all, she's our official Teaseee.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2003, 01:21:54 AM »
Hear hear.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2003, 07:44:51 AM »
Heh. Seeing as how i am
a) The stupidest person on this board
b) The least educated person
and c) the worst at english

then i find it funny that spriggan has the bad spelling whereas i have the moderate spelling.

(I had to retake GCSE english - a very important subject critical for any uni or decent job, as i failed it at the age of 16. I then failed it on the first resit, but just scraped it on the second resit. I don't go to university, and everyone else does or has so that takes care of both cleverness and education.)

Eh, spriggan, don't you check stuff you type before you hit the send button?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2003, 07:59:16 AM »
I think you underestimate your potential Entropy. You are actually a bright guy. That doesn't mean you have to go to college if you have another path you want to take, but you denigrate your self when it's not true.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2003, 08:00:13 PM »
The university system is not an end-all means of determining intelligence.  There are many bright, even brilliant, people who do poorly in a standardized environment.  I agree with SE; You're no fool, Entropy.  Even if you decide that formal education isn't for you, that's no reason to presume yourself less capable than others.

It may sound hypocritical, but I think one of the things I've learned from getting a degree is how subjective an achievement that little piece of paper is.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2003, 08:06:04 PM »
I agree. I suck at standardized tests. I always do average on them. I think they are just stupid things. Stupid stupid stupid. I hate them. Every last one.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2003, 03:50:11 AM »
It may sound hypocritical, but I think one of the things I've learned from getting a degree is how subjective an achievement that little piece of paper is.

At the risk of playing too much like Ed McMahon to everyone's Johnny Carson in this thread, I agree completely.  I've got two little pieces of paper.  A person can learn just as well outside of school as they can in.  It's a different kind of approach, but it's just as valid.  

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2003, 09:36:58 AM »
Despite my claims of focussing on medieval and heroic literature, only one such class has been offered in the CmLit curricula at BYU, the Romance, and that was NOT offered at any time I was there and had taken the prerequisite 310.

So, my "expertise" in Arthuriana (and for that matter, comic books, in which I have presented at a symposium) comes from my own independent study and research in histories and criticism.

Which is all just to say that you can just learn what ya wants on your own, and often have to.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2003, 12:32:38 PM »
No, EUOL, I meant that comma to be there. Yes, we shouldn't bother Sprig as much as we sometimes do (though I was mocking his big brother). I think the point is, that articles require greater attention to spelling and grammer than do posts to a message board.

And, just to stand up for the universities of the world, it is a great place to learn for those of us who would never do research on our own. Grades are a better modivator for me than desire to learn about a certain subject. I tend to remember more from auditory lectures than I do from reading. I have more respect for Entropy taking another route, because to me, that's harder.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2003, 12:40:26 PM »
I wasn't knocking on universities.  Just saying that there are other ways of going about it.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2003, 01:52:35 PM »
And you're right there are other ways. They are harder, and I have a lot of respect for people who can manage it.