Author Topic: Re: Warmachine  (Read 1862 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: Warmachine
« on: March 15, 2006, 03:07:55 AM »
Best. Mini. Game. Evar!

I dropped it only because of lack of time.

Book-wise, Warmachine: Prime is the basic rules.  Has everything you need to know and then some.  Escalation is the next book and has some new units and a big campaign. Apotheosis came out after I quit so I don't have much of an idea what's in that.  I heard it's mostly (good) fluff though.

Buy yourself Prime and a starter box of any of the factions and you'll be good to go.  

One of the best parts about the game is that it plays well whether its a 300 pt game or a 1000 pt game.

Just make sure to check the errata.  There's a lot.

Plus, I wrote a review of it for TWG here:  http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=895

Not my best review, but it should suffice.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 02:28:34 PM »
Roughly 300 points per starter box.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 09:49:55 PM »
I bought both Prime and Escalation. Escalation adds a LOT of new units, doubling the selection almost, along with a huge errata on Prime and a totally kick-ass campaign. You need 4 players with a 1,000 point army each though to play it.

The starter boxes come to 330 points each, or close enough as makes no real difference. I play Cygnar, Jeffe plays Cygnar and Khador. We could tell you what you want to know, I guess.

The starter boxes are generally a fairly good buy as they are designed to fight against each other, but i've been hugely unimpressed by the Cygnar battlebox - the jacks in it are totally crap. But then Cygnar didn't get good jacks until Escalation anyway. The other ones are fairly solid I think. Try to avoid the mercenaries - they are good but tend to require much more careful handling than the normal races.

I hear that, in order of ease to learn, the races go:
Khador
Cygnar
Menoth
Merc
Cryx
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch