Author Topic: Staff Page Revision  (Read 12419 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Staff Page Revision
« on: November 13, 2003, 06:43:25 PM »
Okay, so, I've decided I should probably be proactive and revise the staff page so that it gives more credit to those who do a ton of work (Read: SE) and removes those who have disappeared into the ether (Read: Kid Kilowatt.)

So, I've got a few questions.  First off, Fell, is there anything you would like to see done to the staff page?  

Second, who amongst us is actively using the TWG as a resume feature?  They should probably take precedence over the more casual writers, such as myself.

Third, who's not on there that wants to be?

http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Staff Page Revision
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 06:59:04 PM »
That reminds me, I should probably put TWG on my resume for when I apply to game companies and such. So I'd like to be kept on there. :)
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2003, 07:28:22 PM »
To be perfectly honest, I'd like to take over the Movies section, if no one objects. Movies happen to be a passion of mine, and I think I'd have more modivation to submit reviews if I had a title.

What do you guys think of that?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2003, 07:42:12 PM »
I object on the basis that my objection will annoy MoD!

(that was a joke, btw, I have no objection)

I've just landed a new job, so I'm not doing anything on a resume. Some day in the future I might. So let me think on this. I'll write up a new bio so I can be something more than mysterious for head hunters.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2003, 08:13:01 PM »
I won't object as long as I can tell MoD something that's been on my mind for a while. MoTivation. No D. (I've seen you use the word quite a bit, so I thought you might want to know how to spell it.)  ;)

And if I had any time to spare, I'd like to start writing movie and book reviews myself. I plan on taking next semester off, and may be able to contribute a little when I'm not doing the school-full-time-work-full-time thing. As it is now, my posts have increased directly proportionately to my stress level: I am avoiding my homework.

By the way, SE, I've been meaning to say congrats on the new job.

Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 08:16:14 PM »
thanks!

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 08:21:28 PM »
Hey, thanks stacer.

MoTivation /me tries to remember

And drat. I was hoping your increased activity was a more permanent (sp?) thing.

Saint, I'm getting better at telling when you're joking. I actually laughed before I read your parenthetical comment. /me feels proud of herself
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 08:24:59 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2003, 09:12:09 PM »
Since we're giving props to SE, I'd like to note that the 'advice' thread is one of the most amusing things I've read in a goodly time.  I wonder if there's some way we can take the 'best of' those and post them on the main page as a kind of occasional feature.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2003, 09:16:36 PM »
Okay, so truthfully my increased activity is permanent, but began as a function of my homework avoidance. But I won't be doing much beyond the forum till the semester is over.

And I second that idea on the "Advice," EUOL.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2003, 09:20:12 PM »
While we're giving props to me, it should be noted that it wouldn't be half so amusing if it weren't for the freakish problems you all appear to have. But thanks. Let's wait till we have a lot more before we move selections of it to an article or anythign though.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2003, 10:11:30 PM »
Woo! Don't scare me like that. I'm glad. It's nice to have another girl that frequents the board.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2003, 12:07:25 AM »
No offence MoD, but I think that before you get a title you should actualy write some articles.  It's not fair to those that have been writeing articles and don't have an offical position.  Also I just don't think anyone should be in a deparment position without haveing ever done any articles, and proveing they can write more then one article every few months.

I thought we were going to move SE to RPG section head and 42 to movie head.  But I don't know if 42 still has any intrest in doing that anymore.

In the end it's Fell's decision and I'll go along with whatever he decides.

Also if we're adding/removeing stuff, do you think we can move to a more professional layout.  Right now that page isn't very well orginized.  I'm thinking more like an actual magazine's staff layout.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2003, 02:38:57 AM »
I never write any articles anymore, but my bio is in gross need of updating.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2003, 10:41:16 AM »
It seems like MOD was asking to take on some responibility for our little community and expressing her interest in helping out. Perhaps putting a requirement in for editors to write articles is a good idea, but I wouldnt discount someone immediately if they havent written an article either. The job title should have some sort of Job description attached to it, if someone asks to fill a vacent positiion, you just need to ask if they can do the required work. Its not like your paying them so you dont lose a thing if they dont work out.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2003, 11:44:41 AM »
I disagree. You lose time and maybe get frustrated. I think I agree with spriggan, and that dept heads should have contributed in the past. Maybe not articles, but contributed more than just showing up on the forums.