Author Topic: Horrorclix  (Read 12623 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Horrorclix
« on: February 03, 2006, 02:48:53 PM »
WK is releasing a new CMG based off of classic and modern horror movies that's supposed to be more scenario based then pure combat that heroclix uses.

They're already said if it's a monster or horror related and in the public domain you can expect it, things that have been mentioned but not confirmed is Dracula, vlad, Frankenstein, Cuthulu.

Also they're planning collectors sets of IP characters like Freddy and Jason.  Here's hoping for an Army of Darkness set!

As for it;s compatibility to Heroclix there have been some confirmation that it was designed with that in mind but nothing more then that.

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/wk_article.asp?cid=40604
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Horrorclix
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 03:14:12 PM »
I sincerely hope that it's not compatible, because the flavor of the two genres is so different that I want them to have completely separate rules and dials and whatnot. And I'm very, very glad to see that it's a scenario-based game--that has a lot of potential, and is really the best way to do horror.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 03:20:18 PM »
I agree, if they stick to the same old same old design with Heroclix they could be hindering themselves from creating an interesting scenario game.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 05:05:22 PM »
Ia! Ia! Cthulhuclix Fthagn!
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 05:12:32 PM »
I was thinking it would be cool to offer a glactus sized Elder God Cthulu for the game

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 06:09:58 PM »
The powers on his dial are printed in colors from beyond the scope of human comprehension.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 07:06:53 PM »
He has no stats. He just eats 1D4 models a turn.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 11:52:13 PM »
Have you seen the stats for Cthulu in the back fo d20 CoC?  More like eats 3d10 characters a turn.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 12:03:50 AM »
yes but in heroclix you useally only have 4 characters on a team.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 01:31:53 AM »
here's the low down from Bro_M on the WK forum:

1. HorrorClix is about 80% similar to HeroClix. That is to say that the games are similar enough that if you can play one, you can play the other; and you can play components from both together.

2. Both games share the same basic combat stats. Powers and Abilities are similar, but where HeroClix consolidates them on one sheet, HorrorClix powers are more character-specific and they are presented on individual character cards. Movement, combat resolution and figure point costs are in the same neighborhood.

3. Not all of the game mechanics work exactly the same. HorrorClix pieces are designed for a smaller sized map with more focus on scenario action, while HeroClix pieces are designed for a larger-sized map with more focus on a strategic game.

4. Additionally, there are mechanics of HorrorClix unique to that game, and parts of HeroClix unique to that game. Players who want to play the two systems together will have to make some of their own adaptations, and those adaptations will not be officially supported by WizKids. The games were not playtested together, and there may be "broken" combinations that we cannot take responsibility for.

5. There will be no mixed HeroClix and HorrorClix tournaments, and there will be no rules to officially support the mixing of the two games.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 01:32:38 AM by Spriggan »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 05:40:45 AM »
That's s good way to do it--far enough apart to keep their uniqueness, but close enough that you can bodge them together if you want to.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 01:52:37 PM »
The set will primarily be original characters, but they're planning at least one collector's set using licensed characters, and you can vote on which licenses you want them to chase: http://forum.wizkidsgames.com/survey/index.php?sid=71

I voted for the classic monsters, Alien, Ghostbusters, and X-Files, with a semi-nod to Predator and Buffy as well.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 04:38:12 PM »
What? You didn't vote Army of Darkness?  I don't think we can be friends anymore.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 04:44:49 PM »
I'veseen it, and I admit that Ash would be cool, but none of the other characters excite me. I'd rather have those other sets.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 05:16:47 PM »
From replays on the forum it looks like Buffy and X-Files are in the lead.  *Sigh* if Buffy wins I'll never spend money on the game.

Also it looks like WK doesn't have a single license for the collectors set yet, that's why there are so many choices.