Author Topic: Rumors  (Read 15230 times)

Lord_of_Me

Re: Rumors
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2002, 08:55:20 AM »
i know i omly clicked on the link on the page after posting ;D

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2002, 02:56:16 PM »
I'd go a stepp farther and say don't trust most things any American tells you on April 1st.  The fact that we could play a joke on a forener realy easy that day make's it too tempting.  You have no Idea how many Japanese I've gotten on that day.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2002, 03:31:57 PM »
Ok, it's not actually a rumor, but I didn't want to make a new thread for just this little news item.

Check out the results of a recent Wizard's web event, the creation of a card for the Spring 2003 expansion.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/feature/109

I forwent voting on this one despite the fact that I was aware of it because I didn't feel like signing up an account on Wizard's site or something. (Requisite for participation) After reading this article, however, I think I'll get involved in the next one.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2002, 07:20:14 AM »
i voted in the last four or five votes, just think how good this would be in a phantom deck...

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2002, 01:45:59 PM »
You're right there, although I'm not a big fan of Phantoms myself. They're strong and cool for sure, but they aren't quite as invincible as some people make them out to be. I'd rather rely on first strike as a defensive mechanic.

The thing that's really killing me about Forgotten Ancient (Other than the fact that we almost had a new Spike. I miss Spikes.) is that I recently put a combination of Spike Colonies, a Spike Rogue, and a Chlorophant in one of my decks, intending them to be an 'armory' for the rest of the creatures in the deck, and the Forgotten Ancient can do just about everything the whole lot of them can in one card, plus make other people somewhat reluctant to cast spells. Annoying at best. My armory does have some instant-speed tricks that Forgotten Ancient can't mirror though, so at least I'm not totally wasting all those card slots.

On the other hand, the Elemental creature type is becoming ever more viable.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2002, 05:48:06 PM »
Here you go, the first two known cards from the next set (Legions):

http://www.mtgnews.com/story/1136/1/1/1/

The second seems more like an Odyssey hoser than anything else, though it could be useful against a number of standard black tricks. The blue card, on the other hand, sets an interesting precedent: abilities that activate when you flip over a Morph card. That should help make Morph a bit more interesting.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2002, 07:49:40 AM »
i thought the same thing when i saw that card, it gets rid of threshold, flashback and incarnations but seems pretty useless otherwise

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2002, 05:10:19 PM »
Realistically we're going to need an Odyssey hoser to come out every now and again. Without that, other Magic blocks wouldn't be able to compete with graveyard decks in a reasonable way. I like the card overall...isn't too hard to get rid of if it's hurting you, just kill the 2/2 zombie. Not that bad. I think the price for the ability is low though. I'd rather see something like: "Remove two cards in your graveyard from the game: Remove target card in a graveyard from the game." Most decks couldn't use it as well, but if it were common and/or more useful on its own (3/3 instead of 2/2 maybe) I'd like it even better than Withered Wretch.

When I saw Fell post something about a new use for Morph, I thought of something more along the lines of what Astral Slide did for cycling, but the ability is still cool. Finally we have a reason to Morph something other than for the surprise factor or for the odd card that is easier to cast via Morph. If they added some new spells that allowed players to flip Morph cards up and down it'd start to feel a little like the gating mechanic from Planeshift. That brings up my problem with the Willbender though. Any other card I've seen that has a similar target-changing effect is rare, (and rightfully so. Changing targets is even more powerful than a counterspell and they can be countered, unlike Willbender. I don't see any reason for it to be uncommon. It also suggests to me that we won't see much new support for flipping Morph cards back face-down, since that would make Willbender a great deal more powerful, which I hope the dev team isn't setting about doing. It's already plenty tough for an uncommon without being easily reusable.

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2003, 08:55:01 AM »
backslide and break open already flip morphers up and down

and, this is scary

Krosan Cloudscraper
7GGG
Creature - Beast Mutant
At the begining of your Upkeep, sacrifice Krosan Cloudscraper unless you pay GG.
Morph 7GG (You may play this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)
13/13
Illus. Ron Spears
130/145
Rare

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2003, 10:38:56 PM »
You're right about backslide and break open, but what I was talking about would take better support for that kind of thing to be really viable, like maybe enchantments or creatures that could do it repeatedly.

And, while you're right about the cloudscraper being scary, it really isn't that tough by itself. You find things like that out when you play with the Chlorophant. If your opponent has any kind of real defense, he won't have a problem handling your big tough monster. A high native power like that can even turn into a disadvantage. I'd much rather have a Butcher Orgg or Silvos, Rogue Elemental if I wanted a big creature. Things like those are much more likely to get the job done. That combined with its high mana cost and upkeep make me leery of the Cloudscraper.

As far as rumors go, I heard someone down at Game Den mention that Legions was coming out this month.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2003, 10:39:33 PM by Prometheus »

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2003, 09:24:47 AM »
it is previews are on the wizards site starting today, in other news there ia a green theme deck, a green-white-blue, and a white-blue theme deck.
The symbol is two swords crossed behind a shield, and the novel has akroma on the cover

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2003, 11:49:58 AM »
Yeah. They should also be starting up the new Create a Card event today, so maybe i'll finally set up an account over there.

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2003, 12:05:06 PM »
they give you a password though and they're always really weird

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2003, 01:48:45 PM »
I'll put up with a weird password as long as I have an outside shot at helping to design the next Kavu. (OK, so it's a really long outside shot.)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2003, 05:42:00 PM »
The next Kavu as in specific Kavu creature, or the next Kavu as in new funky creature type of your devising?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net