Author Topic: Onslaught  (Read 16069 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Onslaught
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2002, 07:58:45 PM »
Ha.  If we do get them, it wouldn't come from the site.  We're trying to trade in some of the books we got in our World Fantasy gift totes.  A lot of them are lame, and we're hopign to be able to get some bookstore to give us credit for them.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2002, 01:41:17 AM »
No luck trading books (well, because I haven't tried yet) but I did manage to get us some boosters. We need to organize another draft.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2002, 02:12:17 PM »
So we do have cards for the draft? Or is it you just found a way to get them and they're not here yet? Just trying to clarify. While it's not set in stone yet I think I'm going to end up going to Canada for Thanksgiving. My brother's girlfriend lives up there and we got invited apparently. Weird.

What does everyone think would be good picks for the next expansion of tribal races? We've already gone through soldiers, clerics, zombies, elves, goblins, birds, and beasts...there was an article on wizards.com recently that revealed that Wizards might be adding Humans as a creature type and going with a race/class model for civilized creatures, giving all of them both, which is pushing the question of whether to add humans. I'm not sure I like it, but it might be cool to have some black spells that kill humans in particular or something. As it stands, they're insolated from penalties and separated from potential benefits.

I'd like to see Barbarians make a comeback. We got a lot of them during the Odessey block, but it'd be a shame to see them disappear in a swarm of goblins. I'm having trouble of thinking of viable creature types for tribal for most of the other colors. Nantukos are insects, but the ease of getting insect counters (and lots, in a hurry) could cause problems if Insects get a 5-tap rare or something. Minions or Horrors could work for black, and white could get Knights. The more I think about it, however, I'm not sure that tribal will change much in the next Onslaught expansion. Any truly major shift in the creature types used would be a pain for the storyline folks, although things like Soldiers to Knights or Goblins to Barbarians wouldn't mess things up too bad. It's just hard to see clerics or zombies going away with the power of the Cabal behind them, or wizards disappearing when Ixidor is gaining strength.

As long as I get tribal kavu I'll be happy. Kavu are funny.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2002, 02:27:49 PM »
I doubt we'll see any new creature types given the tribal treatment in future Onslaught sets, since I imagine they'll spend their time buffing up the ones we have. Some of the secondary ones (like insects) might get more, but not much else. They have to keep the environment pretty stable in order for draft games to work, and if you're drafting different creature types in each pack it kind of defeats the point.

Speaking of drafts, I have our packs sitting on my bookshelf at home I don't know when we're planning to do it, but I suspect it will be in December sometime. When would be good for everyone?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2002, 08:28:04 PM »
You're probably right about not getting any new Tribal creature types, although I find that a little depressing. I'm missing all those Barbarians we were seeing for a while.

As far as the time of the booster draft, I am...very available. Just Wednesday nights are bad.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Lord_of_Me

The big Scary Elf Deck
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2002, 01:57:50 PM »
I've been working on a great new deck. 8 wins out of 8. THe real powerhouses are wellwisher and Silvos, Rogue Elemental. Last game i finished on 50 life!

Here's the decklist:
20 Forest

3 Elvish Pioneer
1 Llanowar Elves
1 Taunting Elf
1 Wellwisher
3 Wirewood Elf
3 Wirewood Savage
1 Everglove courier
1 Krosan Archer
1 Elvish Pathcutter
1 Silvos, Rogue Elemental
1 Thorn Elemental
1 Thriss, Nantuko Primus
1 Krosan Groundshaker
1 Venomspout Brackus
2 Towering Baloth

1 Fog
2 Vitality Charm
1 Naturalize
1 Monstrous Growth
1 Rampant Growth
2 Deep Reconnaissance
1 Seton's Desire
1 Primal Boost
2 Elvish Guidance
2 Sudden Strength
3 Explosive Vegetation
1 Cryptic Gateway

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2002, 02:05:32 PM »
two big problems with you deck:
1) no Force of Natures.  what's up with that.  the only reason to play green it to get one out and buff it up to a 40/40 trample/flying/firststrike creature.
2) no giant carrots.  their useless in current decks but a great nolstalga to days gone by.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2002, 02:14:52 PM »
Heh. Nice Sprig.

The only cards I don't understand right off are the Wirewood Savages. You've only got about 4 Beasts in the deck, I think, and a different kind of elf would likely be much more beneficial. Of course, their presence might be due to the fact that you don't have every Magic card ever made at your command. Sounds a bit familiar to me.

If, however, you're interested in finding another Elemental type creature to boost your already impressive stack of those, the Chlorophant & Ivy Elemental are available if you can get them. An elemental deck would be quite interesting. Use Voice of the Woods too...that's a lot of rares though. It'd take some trading.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2002, 02:21:12 PM »
Oh, if anyone is interested, I picked up some Krosan Tuskers out of a commons box recently and in playtests versus my brother etc. they work as well or better than expected. That 5GG casting cost isn't all that big after you cycle a few.

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2002, 09:14:42 AM »
that is every elf i own (mostly from the devastation theme deck) and i don't have any of those other cards. I'm asking everyone i know who plays if they have any other elf tribal cards:
Voice of the woods e.t.c
« Last Edit: December 05, 2002, 11:43:24 AM by Lord_of_Me »

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2002, 01:15:47 PM »
Yeah, I was kind of guessing that. The Wirewood Savages do, however, at least help you out when you hardcast your beasts, so I guess it isn't so bad. Nice deck.

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2002, 12:58:37 PM »
it is, 9 wins out of nine so far. The groans when i play wellwisher are music to my ears.... ;D

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2002, 02:54:53 PM »
Are these people you're playing not running any sort of creature removal? Even Shock should do the trick to get rid of Wellwisher. Not trying to knock your deck or anything...it's good, but I don't see how Wellwisher can be a consistent problem for so many people unless their decks aren't built to handle a little 1/1 killing.

Hey Fell, is there a problem with the Legionnaires deck I sent you? You mentioned that you were going to post them both today, and I don't know whether you didn't because you decided to save it for later or whether I need to fix something. No rush on posting it. I just thought I'd check.

As far as your comments on Wrath of the Snidd, you're right about some of the card choices being a little bit off, especially the Barbarian Outcasts. I noted after the actual cardlist that I took sort of a 31-flavors approach to designing the non-critical section, and I guess I should've been more careful. (I think the Outcast made the cut because he's a Barbarian, which I like, a Beast, which goes well with the Wirewood Savages, and looks cool. You're right though. There are better cards.) I didn't even bump into the Terravore while I was designing the deck, although I'm not sure I would've replaced red cards with green anyway. You can run into mana problems like that, especially with Terravore's 1GG casting cost. You're right that it would be great for the deck though. The Battlemage I'd try to keep around for the simple reason that in a Gating deck, Battlemages are far more powerful than they look, and the Thunderscape Battlemage in particular can supply you with needed enchantment removal.

You should show me how to do that Autocard thingy sometime.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2002, 03:00:38 PM by Prometheus »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2002, 04:14:20 PM »
I sent you an email about the other deck.

As for the card comments, this deck is already too inconsistent for extra green creatures to be a problem. That seems to be what you're going for, though, so I don't see it as a problem. I also have trouble classifying this as a gating deck, though it does have some gating creatures. Still, to each his own interpretation.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2002, 05:33:52 PM »
You're right about it not being a true gating deck. Maybe I have gating too much on the brain due to my real-life gating deck. The Battlemages and Flametongue Kavu are there mostly to support the extra Razing Snidd you'll have though. (if they pop up) That's what I was trying to get at.