Author Topic: MTG: You Make the Card  (Read 2381 times)

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
MTG: You Make the Card
« on: March 25, 2003, 03:52:09 AM »
Well, we're at the big crux of the entire process of card designing in Wizard's You Make the Card 2, and I was wondering what everybody thought might be a good mechanic for the artifact we're helping to design. Has anyone here submitted an idea yet?

So far I've got some general thoughts about what direction I'd like to see the card go. We've already had plenty of artifacts that generate creatures and counters, so that would be a fairly boring way to take things. A more interesting direction to go would be to create an artifact that changes the nature of the game, such as removing the graveyard from play, or changing the availability of mana. There's precedent for this already, but it has hardly been plumbed for its depth.

I've already got two rough concepts for things I'd like to suggest, but it's late and I don't feel like filling them out. I'll list the basics here so I won't forget them:

1. A non-creature artifact that can add component tokens to itself before activating and strengthening itself until end of turn via expense of the component tokens. (sort of an evolving robot)
2. An all-players mana generator that generates more and more mana with each successive use. (You can use the mana if you like, but more will be available for the next guy who activates it.)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2003, 03:52:45 AM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Lord_of_Me

Re: MTG: You Make the Card
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 12:19:00 PM »
mine went something like

2, T, sacrifice a land: Destroy Target Land

2, T sacrifice a creature: Destroy target creature

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 12:25:49 PM »
The deadline for submitting ideas was Sunday, Prometheus.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2003, 09:02:23 PM »
Odd. For some reason I'd thought they'd given us two weeks to mull it over. Oh well, this won't be the last time I look stupid. So be it.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 12:32:59 PM »
They've finally released the top ten mechanics for this, and I think some of them are downright incredible. Have a look:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/feature/160

My favorites are the one where you play land from your graveyard, the one where you play cards from other player's hands, and the one where you can take control of creatures by paying their mana cost.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2003, 08:56:16 AM »
I don't know about the rest of you, but ever since they chose the one that allows land to be played from the graveyard, I've totally lost interest. Maybe if I had more Oddysey cards.

Fell, was there a problem with the MTG articles I sent you? If you forgot to post them cause I sent them via email that's fine. Just checking to make sure they weren't corrupted again.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2003, 08:56:37 AM by Prometheus »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2003, 01:09:42 PM »
Oh, it's pure forgetfulness. Though since I haven't even opened them, it's possible that their corrupted and I don't know it. We might find out, someday.