Author Topic: Scourge  (Read 7854 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Scourge
« on: May 01, 2003, 02:53:58 PM »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Lord_of_Me

Re: Scourge
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 04:20:51 PM »
there must be a tonne of amazing combo's. Imagine the look on your opponents face....

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2003, 03:17:31 PM »
the new sliver queen:

Sliver Overlord  
Sliver Mutant Legend (Rare) WUBRG
3: Search you library for a sliver card, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
3: Gain control of target sliver (this effect doesn't end at end of turn)
7/7
The end of evolution
139/143

Karona

Gargamel

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Must... have... SMURFS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2003, 07:50:39 AM »
i used to be quite good at magic but it got to expencive and i had to stop playing, i would be great ifit wasnt so damn expencive. and i didnt like the attitudes of the "pro" players
Spends his life in pursuit of little blue guys in sissy white outfits and mentally abusing his cat. What does he plan to do with the blue dwarfs when he catches them anyway?
Gargamel is here to stay

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 04:41:02 PM »
The full Scourge spoiler. Pretty cool stuff:
http://ar.static.net/scourge.html
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2003, 07:06:37 PM »
This seems like the appropriate thread for this...

I was substituting in an orchestra class today and for the last 15 minutes of class time the kids had time to study for the final.  So I noticed four guys move towards the back and bust out some magic decks.  When I got back there and asked them what kind of final they were studying for they told me that those were their flashcards.  When they learned that I know how to play a little they were pretty excited and invited me to join them (one kid had a spare deck) but I told them I was working.  

As I walked away they commented that subs that know how to play Magic are "the coolest."  But I suppose that had to do with the fact that I let them keep playing...

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2003, 05:20:49 PM »
Is it just me or is Scourge way out of balence with the other expansions.  I was reading through the card lists today and couldn't beleve how psycho it was.  Defantly not fair for someone to be useing scourge if no one else is.  It unbalances the game now that these cards are out.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2003, 07:54:32 PM »
I actually think it's very balanced. What cards are you referring to specifically?

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 12:29:40 AM »
If anything is happening, it is more of a rebalancing effect. The high quality large-size creatures, the mana acceleration and the 'highest casting cost' cards in Scourge are merely a way of finally making expensive cards worthwhile. Even in our sluggish 100/3 games, the small cards usually made more difference than the occasional Devouring Strossus or whatever we would throw out. It's just too easy to kill big huge creatures. Terminate takes care of any non-protection from red/black creature in the game (at least for a little while) and cards such as Wrath of God ect can kill anything else.

The only thing that Scourge has provided us in the way of biggness is to tempt people to actually go for the big boys in spite of the difficulties. Keeper of the Nine Gales can handle a Dragon Tyrant anyway.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2003, 07:41:02 PM »
Now that Prometheus is allegedly back online, I'm pleased to announce a Scourge draft game! I've got all the cards, and I'm assuming that the game will include the following people (the same group we had last time):

Fellfrosch
Prometheus
EUOL
Tiger
Spriggan
Lovebasket
GuJiaXian
Brenna

If you read this, please email me with your availability. I'll be contacting you all individually, just in case. I'd like to do it this weekend, probably in the evening at the Cottontree, but everything depends on when we can get everyone together.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2003, 08:50:54 PM »
What's a draft game?

I'd love to participate as I am going to be in UT this weekend (at least for the beginning of it) but I'm going to be moving furniture into my new place for most of the time.  I haven't played since I left the Happy Valley.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2003, 09:37:27 PM »
I'm fine for anyday this week in the evening
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2003, 10:12:48 PM »
Sweet. I even have Saturday off.  ;D

I'm in. When are you going to be in town Kije? It'd be fun to hang out before the booster draft if that works with your schedule.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2003, 01:30:35 AM »
Oops. I missed Kije's question.

A draft game is a game with 8 players who sit around a table and open booster packs. One pack is opened by each person in each of 3 waves of pack opening, and then each player selects one card that they want to use in their decks. They then pass the remainder to one direction (left, right, left respectively for each wave or something like that) When everyone is done, everyone puts their deck together, then have a tournament.

I probably missed something important, but that's the basic concept.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2003, 03:49:39 AM »
I'm going to be pretty booked.  We (my fiancee, my brother, and I) arrive Thursday am sometime, and leave Friday night.  In between that we have to unload all our stuff (we're taking a uhaul trailer,) load up my soon-to-be brother-in-law's stuff, catch a couple of appointments in SLC and a wedding reception (not ours) in Springville, run around begging school districts to hire me, help my brother find an apartment, and I imagine we'll try and fit some sleeping in on Thursday night.

I'll be back in Utah mid-August to stay, though, so there'll be time for stuff then, I'm sure.  We'll be living in north Orem.  And by then I will be married (life never ceases to amaze me.)

btw, if Jeffe or MoD are reading this, I'd be interested in your observations of newly-wedness, it being a fairly recent experience for both of you.