Author Topic: Netdraft  (Read 6901 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Netdraft
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2003, 12:10:39 PM »
Sorry, I haven't had a chance to check the boards since friday morning. should we try again?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2003, 10:25:08 AM »
Me, Spriggan and SE are testing it now. The way it works is thus.

You either use the built in editor in Apprentice, or use netdraft to build your decks. Then you use Apprentice to play. Netdraft works fine for us 3, but Spriggan has had to quit (since he's leaving work, the slacker) and SE has slow download so we have not tested Apprentice yet.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2003, 10:26:07 AM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2003, 11:05:50 AM »
You can build a deck in apprentice too, so you don't have to play a draft game. However, Apprentice does NOTHING for you but show where the card is and if it's doing something. You have to keep the rules on your own. It only keeps track of life

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2003, 01:26:06 PM »
huh, weird.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2003, 05:07:04 PM »
I thought that was going to annoy me, since it actually only displayed what your life is, you had to change it yourself.

But really, it's just like regular magic, without the artwork. So it's a nice enabler still. After all, you ARE playing magic, at times when you normally couldn't, with people you normally couldn't, and with cards you may not even own. So it's kinda cool.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2003, 05:17:44 PM »
Just be warned that the prebuilt decks are mega powerful. Spriggan used one against me, it wasn't right pretty. Otherwise, it was good. The bugs me and SE encountered didn't show. It is pretty good fun.

Idea!
We could do a online tournament with this. I know you Utah people don't need an online tourney, but i like planning this sort of thing out. Anyway, up to 8 people meet and use Netdraft to get their cards, between 3 and 6 packs worth. That's done in a interface where a list of cards appear and people choose them, and only when each person chooses one do you move onto the next card. Then a game is played, after the decks are made and assembled, and it's done with winners then playing each other and losers playing each other. Since its online and the decks are saved, we use the security codes to make sure people don't change the deck between games and can simply arrange times for the next round of games on the forum.

It would be easy to plan, more difficult to get the times sorted. But pretty fun. And it costs nothing for the cards.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2003, 06:59:36 PM »
I'd be up for something like that. I'll have download Apprentice, then, I guess.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2003, 01:29:21 AM »
If the times work out I'd be up for it too.

Hey, a thought here: at the download site it advertised a feature on one of the programs that would allow you to print a copy of a card (a Netdraft version) to use in play soi you wouldn't ruin your cards in actual play.  Now someone like me sees this and says why do I have to buy the cards in the first place?  I could just build any old deck I pleased because I've got all the cards right there.  Would it be anathema to most players to play against someone who built a deck like that, as someone who is in it to play and not to collect?  

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2003, 07:42:58 AM »
Well I'd be interested in joining, apart from a few things:

1. I havn't played Magic in several years, and I'm quite sure the rules have changed substantially. In other words, I don't quite know what I'm doing.

2. Being in Australia, I run at completly different time to everyone else. Not too much of a problem, as I see lots of people logged into the forum at 11am, which is easy to work with.

3. My connection is terrible slow. Well, a crappy 56k winmodem that does 40k on a good day. Making online play hard, especially since I need to bring myself to stop my downloads.

If someone can suggest a workaround, I'd be in.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2003, 07:54:30 AM »
1) The first time i ever played magic was against SE and Spriggan. The fact that i got owned may have some association to this. But anyway, if i can pick up the rules in 2 games, you shouldn't have a problem. I'm stupid for a start.

2) I'm +7 hours ahead of everyone. We will figure something out. For instance, everyone logs onto the forum around 2:30 pm here. Thats morning there i suppose.

3) SE was on a 56k, its not like magic is a bandwidth heavy game or anything.

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2003, 08:10:26 AM »
Ok, I guess I'll be in then. I'll just go and get Netdraft and Appentice within the next couple of days. It does sound like fun, even if I do expect to be owned, and need to relearn the rules.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2003, 08:50:31 AM »
actually, the BEST time for me would be in the evening. About 15 hours from now (8:30pm in utah, 10:30 east coast, and if I'm not mistake, that's like 3:30 am Greenwich... but I'd still be up for a morning game every now and then, I just can't focus on it because I have little girls and job hunting to do.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2003, 09:14:54 AM »
Ok, this is good. To help align the times, it's now 10:12 PM for me in Australia.  So in 15 hours, it's about 1pm.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 09:16:45 AM by JamPaladin »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2003, 09:21:09 AM »
up for a game after I read my kid a book?
that means you're about 14 hours ahead of me (or 10 behind? I'm pretty sure ahead).

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2003, 09:23:59 AM »
Sorry, no. I havn't downloaded Apprentice yet, and I get disconnected from my ISP in 15 minutes, after which I'm going to bed. Next time, though, I'm up for it.