Author Topic: LOTR RotK Playday  (Read 2412 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
LOTR RotK Playday
« on: December 06, 2003, 04:32:39 AM »
I'm really happy to see people enjoying LotR on TWG.  When it first came out, the response here was mediocre, though I loved it.  It is the only CCG I actively collect (though I still play Doomtown when possible) and I've amassed a huge collection over the years.  I'm tempted to try LOTR Online, but don't think its worth it when I can invest in new cards.

The game certainly has improved with each expansion and I'm exteremly happy with where the game is now.  The inclusion of initiative and threats was something I was wary about, but I'm amazed at the new strategical levels it takes the game to.  Threats alone add a depth that even the Watcher in the Water could appreciate.

I'm curious to what you all play. Here's a list of my favorite decks:

Fellowship only:  Dwarves/Moria:  Swarm at its best.  I love Moria.  Still my favorite culture...

Two Towers only:  Rohan/Warg:  Nothing like a calvary deck to really get people frustrated...unless you're playing agianst the firk-ding-blasted Dunledings!  

Return of the King only:  Knights/Nazgul:  Nazgul have always been fun, but thre really come into their own in this set.  I was a huge fan of Knights in the TT block and am glad to see them carried over with even more useful fortifications.

Open:  Hard to say, really. My Ent/Sauron deck can really lay the smack down in open, but its still not as much fun as playing Moria.  Haven't played much of RotK open yet so haven't had to deal with initiative or threats.  I can't wait to get the dwarves a little more flushed out and build a new Dwarven deck!

I'm also looking forward to the stuff after the movies...the spoiled Tom Bombadil looks fantastic and I eagerly await the arrival of Smaug (blasphemous though it may be to the timeline).  Plus, a new site path encompassing all of the journey will be fun to play with.  

What a great game!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: LOTR RotK Playday
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 11:44:59 AM »
It sounds like a really fun game Mr. P. I wish I knew people that would play with me. I only have one deck though, from the fellowship. Thats probably the only reason I don't play CCG's a lot, because everyone I know doesn't. Bunch of party poopers they are.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2003, 04:48:13 PM »
I had no idea you played, Mr. P. Good to know I'm not just singing to the trees with all of the articles I write.

I tend to focus entirely on Standard, though I enjoy dropping back to Tower Block to play my Isengard Orc deck (the guys who discard to wound in the regroup phase). It's a wacky deck but loads of fun to play, and nobody expects it or know how to play against it. I think I'm currently playing it with Elven Archery on the FP side, but I mix and match a lot.

As you can probably guess, I like to experiment with decks more than I like to hone them to a killing edge, so my current King Block deck is Nazgul and Nazgul Orcs, which I'm discovering actually work pretty well. I've also toyed around with a Sauron Orc Initiative strategy that I haven't tested yet, but could be fun (Rope and Winch is the best of the new discard cards, and the Sauron Orcs can use it better than anyone else).

In Standard I'm screwing around with a Knights/Besieger deck that sort of works--the FP side is much stronger than the shadow side, but I don't have enough site control cards to really make the Besiegers scary. My overall favorite deck, however, and the one that I actually am honing to a killing edge, is a Southron/Gimli deck that can really take people apart in standard. It uses the Southron threat strategy, and can quite regularly put out at least one minion on site 5 who's strength 17, fierce, and damage +2. In one game I got two of those guys on site 5, and my opponent pretty much just conceded. It has a little trouble building back up once it's killed a few characters, but it's enough to slow the other guy down while Gimli races to the finish line with huge pump cards and a pretty nice choke.

You know, Mr. P, if you want to send meyour deck lists and some commentary we could put together some pretty nice articles. Maybe some basic strategy some metagame analysis of the different formats. What do you think?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 03:17:19 AM »
Oh, yeah, I've played since the start.  The orginal Fellowship box was the first item I ever pre-ordered.  No one ever had mentioned it here except for in reviews (which got mediocre ratings) so I never brought it up.

I like your idea, Fell.  This coming week is finals week so I doubt I'll have much time to work on it, but shoot me some emails and we'll talk about how we're going to do this.  Sounds like fun.

Kev-La

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Kev-La's Realm
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 11:18:15 AM »
Hi folks! I've just joined this forum and I'm pleased to see there are some fellow TLotR TCG players here.
I too have been with the game since the outset and, despite a very short foray into Shadowfist, decided very quickly to make it my sole TCG collection.
I've not had the money to get many cards from the newest set yet (TRotK), but I've played a very close standard format game with my mate yesterday.  I was using Sauron orcs (including Orc Inquisitors from the TFotR set) to gain initiative, and Aragorn and various Rangers (and Denethor - who'd have thought he could be so, well, good?).
Still lost the game though... as usual!!  :-[
Have you guys checked out the deadly Gondorian Merchant / What Are They? combo yet? Mmmmm...discard....
Anyway, good to meet you.
Laters!  :D

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 08:16:52 PM »
Hey,

Welcome Kev!

Decisions, decisions... Do I buy another box of ROTK (since I only have one) so I can have a broader foundation or do I save my money and get a box of Siege when it comes out?  I think I'm going for the former.

The SoG cards they've previewed look pretty hot.  I'm all over the Wraith cards...and Shelob.  This looks to be a really run set.

Rumor has it that Troll decks are going to be really viable too.  That's another 'must have' on the list.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 05:22:24 PM »
I think the wraiths and Corsairs look really cool. I'd save my money for SoG, Mr. P, but that's just me. There didn't seem to be enough variety in RotK to warrant a huge collection of it; I'll be content with a few of those and a few of the new ones.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 10:57:47 PM »
I think I'm breaking down and getting both.  There was an online sale for ROTK and I got a friend got me a box for about $50.  That's a price I can handle.   Now that prices for the Fellowship block have come down I should pick up a box of RoEL since I only bought like 10 boosters of it...of course in those 10 I got all the great rares :)