Author Topic: Darksteel  (Read 3956 times)

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
Re: Darksteel
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2004, 11:20:04 PM »
And just to keep my atypical bout of talkativeness going, I noticed that Wizards posted their Darksteel Prerelease Primer up on the net. Past editions haven't usually contained much new material, but if you'd like to hear what happens from the source, well, there it is:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/feature/193
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2004, 11:46:21 AM »
My Darksteel analysis is in the database, at least. Just gotta get somebody to post it now.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2004, 03:01:59 PM »
I really thought that you undervalued the Shared Fate/Leveler combo in your article, Prometheus. I realize that you hate the idea of winning via big creatures, but that's really only half of the combo--the other half is that your opponent will never get any more cards for the rest of the game. That's pretty cool, you have to admit, even if you have to use a big creature to do it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2004, 06:14:45 PM »
Probably. I didn't mean to undervalue it so much, but the wording I used did. I mainly felt that Leveler was a really boring way to use Shared Fate. Sure, it wins you the game, but that's not always specifically what I'm after. You're right, though. Shared Fate + Leveler is pretty much game over unless they can bounce/disenchant/otherwise nullify Shared Fate. That just doesn't excite me. Grim Fate I found to be a lot more elegant. Besides, you don't automatically lose the game if Shared Fate leaves play in the deck I cooked up.