Author Topic: article: Empty Mind  (Read 2714 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
article: Empty Mind
« on: August 17, 2004, 09:51:53 AM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=809

This is too sneaky for me. It seems like a good way to play, since it doesn't appear threatening necessarily, even while it's making the opponent angry. I'm not subtle enough for that though.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
Re: article: Empty Mind
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 11:22:13 AM »
Me either really, but it was interesting to make, and I needed to explore a little new territory.

That and I actually have played Spelljack in real games, and I absolutely love that card...I just usually don't depend on it as much as Empty Mind does.

I can probably keep going on these decks long enough to make it to the Kamigawa prerelease, (JamPaladin actually got a look at my next trick last night) but I'm still waiting on that 'bad card' challenge.

Telepathy, however, is one tactic that I just can't argue against. That thing is really nice.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 11:23:10 AM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 10:33:26 AM »
Here's a bad card challange. Make a deck based around these two cards. In some sort of Combo:

Prophecy, a white one mana sorcery. Reveal the top card of target opponent's Library to all players. If it is a land, gain 1 life. That opponent then shuffles his or her library. Draw a card at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep.

Essence Filter, a Green three mana sorcery. Destroy all enchantments or destroy all non-white enchantments.

I bet you can't make a good deck out of those two.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 04:45:15 PM »
*Picks up the thrown gauntlet*

Note: Two cards is cheating, and requiring a combo with two cards that having nothing to do with each other is just silly. I'll still make a deck that includes both as significant components, but the combo...how did you expect me to combo that?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 07:37:32 PM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 10:48:37 PM »
Ok, I know it's cheating.  But I want to see what you can do. if you can't combo, fine, but I want to see if you can build something good with both those cards.

If you like, just pick one, but I figure since one seems to work well with white, it could add an extra challange.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 05:54:20 PM »
I think I have something suitable down already. Essence Filter was a bit hard since its a contingency card mostly, but I came up with an excuse to use it. Believe it or not, Prophecy worked out nicely.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 09:09:49 PM »
Well, we'll have to see it sometime.

I also looked through the other half of my old cards. If you do well on this challenge, I found another couple of interesting cards I can subject on you.

Of course, now I really want to know how you can make a use out of a one cost look at an opponents card card.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 07:35:43 PM »
I just submitted Deck Challenge #1 to the site for posting. It's definitely not my best deck, but those were some pretty goofy cards.

Incidentally I'd probably do best with Invasion block and after cards. Stuff before that was just goofy and I'm not as familiar with it.