Author Topic: Kamigawa  (Read 9740 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Kamigawa
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2004, 03:55:55 AM »
White is also looking good, with Bushido helping to make the weenies pretty fast. Red has a couple of good commons, but I don't know about the color as a whole.

Unfortunately for me, I've decided not to go this time around--I was all set to press the "pay now" button to preregister, but in the end I just don't think I have the money to spare (Dawn's little adventure a few weeks ago caused a lot of big hospital bills that we, obviously, hadn't budgeted for). I was really looking forward to a day of gaming to take my mind of off work (I was there until midnight today), and I feel bad leaving Nate alone, but I don't see any way around it. So have fun, and I look forward to the strategy article (and, eventually, the results article).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2004, 11:07:06 AM »
I've gone alone before, so if it happens again, I'll be alright, and your reasons for not going are valid, to be sure. If anyone else is still in the area and is considering giong, I'd be interested in carpooling for the sake of friends and efficiency, though.

It feels so weird to write a Prerelease Tactics article for a block we haven't seen yet, since I just know I'm making a fair number of errors. Just how costly is the blue focus on returning lands to your hand? Beats me. It'll be coming out one way or another, though. I've been at this long enough that even if I'm horribly wrong on some things I'll be right on a lot of others. That and I think scrutinizing the format so closely helps me out while I'm deckbuilding as well.

I wonder where the rabbitfolk that were I mentioned as a rumor in the original article went? The Kitsune have really long ears and could be mistaken for bunnies, I guess.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2004, 12:58:16 PM »
Chris and I and fuzzyoctopus and her husband and Mr. M and his wife are all going to the prerelease--however, I have no idea of who's riding with whom, so I'm not much help in that respect.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2004, 02:03:23 PM »
For the record, the mutation of my apostrophes into capital 'O's with dots above them isn't my fault. I don't even know how to make that mark.

Predictably, there's another nine cards out on the rumors site after I had to send in the article, but I checked, and they haven't been confirmed as commons. I rather suspect that some of the whites I put down as commons aren't...I think there's too many of them. Rumor pages are just kind of like that.

As far as traveling to the Prerelease, I'd be happy to carpool with someone, either driving or riding. I'm currently planning to drive up alone, and that isn't any fun.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2004, 02:27:18 PM »
That would be you using Word instead of a text editor. It likes to make "Smart quotes" which are only "smart" in the sense that they hurt.... I mean, in the sense that only Word seems to understand them. Text editors interpret them as other parts of the ASCII Set.

I confess I didn't have time to read the whole article, as it only came in at 11 and I was in the middle of work, which I stalled in order to get articles up. I did it for you guys. Don't say I never gave you anything. Hopefully the edits will clear those up.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2004, 02:55:24 PM »
Thanks SE.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2004, 03:41:18 PM »
Pretty good appraisal of the set, I think, though you may have been a little harsh on Splice--while it's true that no sealed deck is likely to produce a worthwhile "splice engine," I think that even one spell spliced one time is still some good card advantage--it's a spell that you get to cast twice for no extra cost (once for splice and once for real). Splicing it multiple times is just gravy.

My other issue with the review is that you never mentioned (or at least I didn't see it) the black card Thief of Hope. As prevalent as spirits and arcane appear to be, there is almost no card I'd rather open than Thief of Hope--it has the game-breaking simplicity that all of us overlooked in Disciple of the Vault, plus it's relatively well-costed for black and replaces itself when it dies. If you have a few spirits and arcane spells it will probably be helpful, and if you have a lot of spirits and arcane spells it will be absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that it's in black, which seems strong in Kamigawa, so any deck you put it in will be well-supported with creatures and removal.

Other than those two notes I agreed with pretty much everything you said. Dang, I wish I was going to this thing.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2004, 07:56:28 PM »
I knew I was being hard on Splice spells, but I stated beforehand that I was going to be. I thought about that for a while, and even though I can see people splicing at the Prerelease, when it came to judging cards I couldn't afford to take that into account. How does one pick a Tier for a card when you have no idea how many times it will be used? Add into that the fact that even someone that tries hard to splice a lot will frequently cast a splice spell only once to provide a base for another splice spell to splice onto, and it becomes too complicated. My solution of informing the reader that I was going to judge them harshly, as though they could only be used once, was the best solution I could come up with.

You're probably right about the Thief of Hope deserving a mention. By the time I got done with all 110 commons, however, I could barely think straight. When I made my list of gamebreaking uncommons, I focused mostly on those cards that would really break the game in ways that Thief of Hope can't.

I think that Thief of Hope doesn't quite merit a comparison with the Disciple of the Vault. The Disciple of the Vault earned the bulk of its reputation from affinity decks that had vast numbers of artifacts that they could sacrifice on demand as a game-finishing blow. The Thief of Hope requires you to play spells, not just put them into play, and since they're Spirits instead of artifacts, this will always cost mana. The Thief of Hope fills much the same function and has a large number of merits that the Disciple of the Vault does not have, but it isn't quite the same thing.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2004, 09:46:32 PM »
A direct comparison to Disciple of the Vault was probably inaccurate, since most of its glory came from constructed decks. It was still very good in limited, though, and my point was not so much to equate the cards as to equate the opinions players have about them--when Mirrodin first came out people undervalued the Disciple, and I would say that they are now undervaluing the Thief of Hope in the same way. I don't know your definition of "gamebreaking," but I would rather have the Thief than any of the uncommons you mentioned (assuming I had the spirits and arcane spells to back it up, which I'm assuming a lot of sealed decks will). I could be wrong, of course, but I wanted to put the thought out there.

One thing that you and I agree on, I see, is that Green seems oddly lacking this time around. Maybe it's just that we're misinterpreting the set--it could be that there's a really obvious Soulshift engine just sitting there in the common green cards, or something else that you can't realy see until you get the cards in hand. I would say, however, that green looks to be the set's weak color at this point.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2004, 08:56:17 AM »
It's too late for anyone going to the Prerelease, I expect, but I browsed through the spoiler one last time only to discover that two cards I'd known about had finally gotten their rarity listed, and are now posted as common, both of which are important.

Frostwielder - Our Tim for this set. One damage is plenty to kill many creatures. With Soulshift running rampant through the environment, removing creatures from the game is probably a good idea too. Otherwise, this is a little weak compared to the Vulshok Tim we got in Fifth Dawn.

Sakura-Tribe Elder - Green gets another Tier 1 common here. Any card that can Rampant Growth for the same cost and provide a chump-blocker depending on the situation is incredible. It's not an exciting card, but it definitely is a major power boost for green to have this guy in the common slot, especially alongside Kodama's Reach.

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2004, 09:07:52 PM »
Hey Prometheus,

I've typed up my deck and sideboard for you (actually, I made Chris do it), but I don't know where to send it (I don't have your email address).

If you want to email me your email address, please send it to

kristina at kuglerworld dot com  because my main email isn't working (stupid Hotmail!)

Thanks!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2004, 08:00:30 PM »
Say, what is the fear ability?

Also, I find the red creature "Frostwielder" rather ironic. A red creature that can control frost... yeah.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 09:31:12 PM by Gemm »
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2004, 01:35:16 AM »
Fear means that creature can only be blocked by balck or artifact creatures.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2004, 11:00:19 AM »
Aha, well met ferocious D.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”