Author Topic: review: WARS  (Read 2815 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
review: WARS
« on: December 09, 2004, 01:19:30 PM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=921

*nod*

Sounds fun. Get me some  cards and I'll play it.

Onion of Death

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: review: WARS
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 03:33:37 PM »
Wow. That's so awesome. My brother and I used to play the game all the time, and we had a lot of great cards. I spent so much money on them that I thought I wasted. I never knew people still played it.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 04:06:58 PM »
A setting with a five-factioned star galaxy with invaders coming to disrupt things by an author that's written for Battletech. (Stackpole is my favorite Battletech novel author, incidentally.) Hm.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 06:33:05 AM »
Well dosen't look like people cared much for this game, Decipher has RPGed it meaning it's on indefenet hiatus.

http://lotrtcg.fanhq.com/Articles/Article.aspx?ID=799

WARS TCG will be put on hiatus to give the property a chance to develop to its fullest potential. While this is very disappointing to all of us here at Decipher, given the current state of the TCG market we feel it is necessary.

Basicaly they're canceling everything but LoTR CCG and RPG and Star Treck CCG.

I'm not suprised from reading around on their forums, there was no prize support and to play in any tourney you had to pay (as is with any Decipher game, they take a certain amount from game stores who do) and there have been lots of changes in the game made specificaly (or so the forum goers say) to annoy the old SWCCG fans.  The marketing for the game was odd too, instead of takeing out adds they made soundtracks and other like things, add that to Decipher only useing thier volenteer Dagents to tell store owners about new games and you've got a bad situation.

Oh, and as another note, What's up with their website now?  It has to be one of the worst designed sites I've seen in a long time, finding things is so counter intuitive that its mindboggleing.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 09:16:13 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 11:47:37 AM »
Decipher continues to astound me. They've been pushing so heavily into the kiddie market recently, with titles like Mega Man and .hack, that I was very surprised when I read that press release a few days ago. I'm glad they're keeping WARS on hiatus rather than cancelling it outright, but if Decipher is dying (as seems likely) then then there won't be much difference between hiatus and cancellation before too long.

I really like Decipher--they have the best CCG designers working today, in my opinion. But their processes are screwy, their marketing and PR are unfathomable, and their product releases are erratic and short-lived. I hope they pull out of their slump, but I guess we'll see.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 02:51:36 PM »
And while they claim in the LOTR RPG isn't dead and books will be coming out soon, I'll believe it when I see it.

It's my understanding from some vocal freelancers that Decipher hasn't paid what's due to their writers and artists.  Well, some of them at least.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 03:27:09 PM »
that isn't totally unknown in the publishing world
Freelancers are often not paid for many months after their work has been accepted or even printed.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 08:41:58 PM »
there was a set almost done for WARS and all the freelancers for that set probaly wont get paid since the set is not going to get printed.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.