Author Topic: Spriggan...  (Read 2921 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Spriggan...
« on: October 07, 2002, 02:42:53 PM »
Fire Warrior is a video game. Why did it need to be moved to tabletop?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Spriggan...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2002, 02:50:39 PM »
I went to the website and thought it was a tabletop so I moved it.  sorry, my bad. :-X
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2002, 05:03:04 PM »
can't you simply... re-move it?
sounds wierd, but i think that thats gramaticly correct?
oh and it is a tabletop videogame - its about tabletop, and agruably, the only people who are gonna be interested are those in the tabletop section (5 peeps, last i checked)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2002, 06:23:18 PM »
To be honest, it's been up for several days and nobody's commented, so it apparently hasn't drawn much interest in either department. Probably because Games Workshop has a history of abysmally horrid video games.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2002, 12:33:38 PM »
the problem is that they keep trying to re-create the tabletop game in computer game format. nobody really wants that - most want to experience the whr40k universe in different ways. i am quite excited about warhammer online though. they have some amazingly cool ideas regarding magic and such.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2002, 03:06:10 PM »
I thought that RTS were derived from table top.  But some types of games do work, have any of you played Shining Force for the genisis.  Awsome turn based RPG that was a lot like a table top game.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2002, 03:20:43 PM »
i agree with charlie, all the GW games have been based too much on the game system than on the actual... ...um... "spirit" of the game. Warhammer online does look better but i don't think it will be that great, now a PC version...

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2002, 04:44:34 PM »
If GW just broke down and recreated their games for PC they'd have a smash hit on their hands--you could have a full 3D strategy game complete with terrain and figures and everything. There's no reason you couldn't do a direct port of the rules from tabletop to computer. But GW keeps trying to get fancy--extra little rules, or bizarre hex maps, or who knows what else. Rites of War was practically an Avalon Hill game from the 70s, complete with little cardboard cutouts.

They're probably steering away from an exact PC version of their tabletop stuff because they're afraid it would become more popular than the tabletop version--the ability to have as many models from as many armies as you want is very enticing--but I don't think it would be a problem. People who play tabletop do it as a hobby first and a game second, and no PC game could replace the hobby aspect.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2002, 04:52:26 PM »
if i remember correctly, they were. it was gonna be online only. then it somehow mutated into warhammer online.
fell, your probably right. its not a coincidence that by far the best GW computer game was dark omen - a real time, 3D (it had an amazing engine for the time actually) game that used many of the warhammer rules (magic mainly. had the full winds of magic and everything). it also had a steam tank too, always a bonus.

Fellfrosch