Author Topic: RPG maker series Illegal  (Read 2380 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
RPG maker series Illegal
« on: November 05, 2002, 08:56:05 PM »
This is the New Blurb I put up in the VG and TOC section.  Tage or Fell If you guys could put a blurb up on the main page I'd appreacte it.

It has come to our attention that RPG Maker series is   ( http://www.enterbrain.co.jp/digifami/sadfact.html ) llegal .  Don, the guy that trasnlated it, has asked people to <a href="http://rifel.net/rm2k/">stop</a> useing it so that ASCII can Release a leagle version here in the U.S. If you want an offical version please e-mail <a href="mailto:[email protected]">ASCII</a> and let them know that you'd buy one.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2002, 02:39:49 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
Re: RPG maker series Illegal
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2002, 01:58:03 AM »
The link is busted or inactive, and i'm too lazy to hack around the net for the story. What's the short version, Sprig? Why was that version illegal?
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2002, 02:42:37 PM »
Bascialy Don took the game from Japan and translated the Japanese Text into English.  The software has international Copyrights (as most things in Japan do), so it's free, unautorised disterbution is Illegal.  If Don had coded his own version that just happened to look like theirs, then that would be a different story.  But he didn't.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2002, 06:34:11 PM »
Ah. So now he's trying to find out how much interest there is in it so he can decide whether to make his own?
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2002, 06:56:59 PM »
No it's more like the Japanese companie that he stold from told him to stop or they're going to sue him.  If he want's to make his own that's fine, but the guy's been useing their code.  Imanage if you took warcraft 3 and say transladed it into another language then released it free on the net.  That's what appearnetly happened here.  It's just that the Japanese companie is very small and no one over here or in Europe noticed what had actualy happened.  He also never had their permission or even bothered to tell them that he was doing it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2002, 06:57:57 PM by Spriggan »