Author Topic: Metroid: Prime Impressions  (Read 3417 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Metroid: Prime Impressions
« on: November 19, 2002, 10:38:18 PM »
I've only owned the game for a few hours, but WOW!  Retro Studios, a rookie developer, really hit the ball out of the park here.  This is one really fun game.  I'm having a few controller issues, but nothing I can't get used to.  

Best of all, this is a true Metroid game.  Lot's of exploration, a little fighting, and a ton of depth (if you scan everything).  I can't wait to pick up some of the later power ups like the thermal visor and x-ray visor.

Give me a few days to really kick the tires and I'll give you all a formal review.

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid: Prime Impressions
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2002, 12:35:59 AM »
I've always been a huge fan of the metroid series, but I have to admit I was horribly disappointed when I heard Metroid: Prime would be a FPS. Since the game came out, I've heard nothing but rave reviews. Except for some controller issues, oddly enough. Every singe reviewer mentions that.

I suppose, given the overwhelming number of positive reviews, I'd like to try it if we can scrounge up a GCN somehow.

But in case I don't, I'd like to follow the story at least. I hear that this one actually takes place in between the first and second metroid games. Is that true?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2002, 02:09:22 PM by Tage »
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2002, 02:57:41 AM »
Yes, it takes place between the second and third games.  Samus has tracked a space pirate ship following her escape from planet Zebes.  You actually start the game with the power-ups you would have finished the first game with, which I thought was a nice touch...of course you lose them pretty quickly.  You start by raiding the pirate's station and then track a beastie down from orbit where you begin to explore the planet.

After 4 hours I've just moved on from the first area, the Chozo ruins, and into the magma caverns below after picking up the Varia suit.  

The Chozo ruins were awesome.  You can scan virutally anything and most of it reveals some backstory.  

Don't be turned off because its first person.  It really doesn't play like a shooter since most of the time you're exploring.  Sure, there are enemies, but they don't come in droves (usually) and most creatures require some strategy to put down, not just firepower.  You can't pass this up if you're a fan of the series.  

I would say this is the best game I've played for GC yet, and one of the best games I've played all year.  True, I'm still under the WOW! factor since its new...but I can already feel it sucking my life away which is always the mark of a good game.

I have to commend Retro for also putting the original Metroid on the disk as well.  Unfortunately, you have to have a Game Boy Advance and to have beaten Metroid: Fusion to unlock it (Stupid Marketing Ploys!).  Hopefully in the future they're release a way to unlock it w/o the GBA.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2002, 02:58:21 AM by Mr_Pleasington »

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2002, 03:18:08 AM »
I was disappointed when I found out it'd be an FPS too. The overall format is fine (what did we expect, an RPG?) but...I don't know. The first person view is not to my taste anymore. Third person at least. I guess I like to see my character and how cool I look thrashing the bad guys. Some people like the immersiveness of the FPS viewpoint, but they don't get to see themselves.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2002, 03:24:31 AM »
I'm the exact opposite of you, Prometheus.  I really dislike third person point of view.  It always felt awkward to me.  

Anyway, it plays well as first person.  I thought jumping would be hard to judge, but I was wrong.  The auto targeting system take care of aiming, though you can aim manually if you want.  It's a well thought out interface, really.

The worst part about Metroid going first person is the loss of the screw attack.  

Like I said, if there's interest I'll send in a full review sometime next week or so.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2002, 11:00:25 AM »
Heh, gee guys. We don't like getting reviews to put up on the site do we? It sounds at least like they did a good job of putting their FPS interface together like you said they did. I remember trying to make jumps in Dark Forces #1 and that viewpoint is just horrid for it without a little help. Jumping is hard enough as it is.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2002, 11:58:35 AM »
Of course we'd love a review, Mr. P., but first I'm very curious about one thing: can Samus still turn into a spinning ball of death?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2002, 12:15:19 PM »
Yes, indeed.  Just like in previous games, it's pretty key to gameplay.  There are numerous upgrades to the morph ball also.  

One of the neat things is that you're subject to all the physics of ball form...inertia, gravity, etc.  Makes for some fun gameplay.

Oh, and the game shifts to 3rd person to control the ball.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2002, 02:07:33 PM »
One intrestng thing I've read is that Retro and Nintendo are refusing to call it a FPS game.  Bolth EGM and Gamespot agree with them.  As for the controller issues, accodring to Retro that was done on purpose.  They said that Samus' armor is heavy and it sould naturaly be hard for her to look up and down.  realistic i guess.  But how about that now load time period and no levels.  Just one big game.

And don't wory Tage I've almost talked Steve into buying a Gamecube.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2002, 02:08:43 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2002, 02:12:09 PM »
Steve getting a GCN is all well and dandy, but is he going to want to loan it to EUOL and me? When is he getting back in town, incidentally?
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2002, 02:48:11 PM »
January, and I don't see why he wouldn't mind lending it to you guys.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2002, 03:43:02 AM »
Just wanted to let you all know that the review is underway.  The holiday and the fact that I can't actually stop playing this game long enough to write a review have hampered my efforts.  I'll get it to you soon.