Author Topic: America's Army  (Read 2732 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
America's Army
« on: September 09, 2002, 06:35:48 PM »
I finally downloaded this game (since I got sick sick of waiting for them to mail it out), and it's pretty interesting. For one thing, you have to go through a lot of Basic Training before they'll even let you play a real map--and the training comes complete with a drill sergeant, though he doesn't yell at you as much as you would expect.

The thing I like about the game is that it's stupidly hard to actually hit anything--not only does kickback and walking and even breathing move your weapon around (thus ruining your aim), but there are loads of built in modifiers that reduce your accuracy (whether you're standing or crouched or prone, whether you have the sight up, how fast you're moving, etc). It seems dumb to like a game because the guns are innacurate, but that's just a balancing factor that contributes to the game's real point--you have to work as a team to get anything done.

You see, almost every shooter out there suffers from the Teen Wolf syndrome: a single powerhouse player can win the game by himself, running and jumping and shooting with amazing accuracy while his teammates stand back and hope they get a chance to do something. In America's Army I have yet to see this happen, and I'm starting to doubt that it could--the game highly favors a team that can coordinate and strategize. Very cool.

I'm almost out of Basic Training and ready to try a real map. I'll tell you what happens.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Re: America's Army
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2002, 08:04:45 PM »
I ordered mine about three months ago and have yet to recieve it.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2003, 11:08:32 AM »
Is there a link availible to download it from?
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2003, 11:29:53 AM »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2003, 08:17:56 PM »
It has server problems, though. It could be a fun game, but I have yet to find a good connection to anything. BF 1942 and Counterstrike, while not as "official," are much easier to play for that reason.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 02:05:53 PM »
Woot thanks!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!