Author Topic: Morrowind Performance (Help!)  (Read 2059 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Morrowind Performance (Help!)
« on: April 30, 2003, 09:35:28 PM »
Okay, just picked up Morrowind today and got totally sucked in.  Here's the problem:  Every five minutes or so while in the exterior world the game will hiccup and freeze for 3 seconds or so. Nothing major, but enough to be annoying.  My systems completely blows the sys reqs out of the water.

I've also fiddled with all the options.  No matter which resolution I pick, no matter which options I toggle, and no matter if I have the music on or off, the hiccup is there.

Any help?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2003, 11:52:01 PM by Mr_Pleasington »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Morrowind Performace (Help!)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 09:43:22 PM »
I've not played Morrowind specifically, but whenever my computer (which is no longer the butt kicker it used to be, but is still fairly nice) does that in a game I've come to realize it's the CDROM (or whatever optical drive you're using) waking up from the nap it was taking, often to play a sound or introduce something new. Optical drives relax a bit if they're not actively doing something or if they're doing something very repetitive and need to move to a new spot.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 11:09:48 PM »
you're haveing the same problem I had.

1) use the lowest resolution
2) Reduce the vision of your player
3) reduce the AI rang
Doing this will clear up most your problems

also check for the new patch.. that alwayse helps
« Last Edit: April 30, 2003, 11:11:19 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2003, 11:18:47 PM »
The first thing I did was to go from the highest resolution w/ all bells and whistles (which ran fine except for hte hiccups) to the lowest with no bells and whistles to see if my settings were just too high.  Didn't fix it.  Even at the lowest res with all the options turned down (except some sounds, which I'll turn off next tiem I play) it still hiccuped.  

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2003, 11:43:38 PM »
check the www.morrowind.com and look at the tech forum sould be something there
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: Morrowind Performance (Help!)
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2003, 11:54:05 PM »
Well, after looking at the messageboards there it appears I have little to complain about as it run much worse for most other people :)

I also figured our my problem.   The hiccup is just when it's loading a new exterior area.  For some reason the game wasn't displaying the loading message at the bottom.  It finally appeard after I fiddled some more.  So I guess it's just inherent in the game.  

Man, this game rules!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2003, 12:26:58 AM »
Enjoy it rocks as a game...I just never finished it so I never wrote a review.  I spent to much time doing all the extra quests and forgot about the main one.  I recomend picking up tribunal, the first expansion, it has a new journal that allows you to sort and keep track of quests easy.  It's only about $20 now too.

Arathorn

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Run Ronnie run!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2003, 01:27:57 AM »
Hmmm you guys got me interested in it. Maybe I'll try to get a copy somehow. I'm quite broke though, can't scrounge up 20 bucks right now  ;D

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2003, 01:23:19 PM »
Ya it's great but you need a good system to run it, at least a 1 gig processor 256k ram and GForce2 these are the minumum to play despite what's on the box.  If you run it on anything lower (especaily to video card) you have to sacrafice a lot of performance to get it to barely run.

Chaosman

• Level 3
  • Pie, oh yeah, I like pie
    • View Profile
    • Ledgermain Comics
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2003, 11:08:45 PM »
most of the problem is the 'copy protection' which fragments the disc information while killing disc read times. There are fixes available online.
A plan is something you make before its needed. A good plan is one you make two seconds before you need it.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2003, 03:30:10 AM »
 Please link me to such things as I have scoured Morrowind sites with nary a fix to be found.  Except tweaks...which kinda helped.

Chaosman

• Level 3
  • Pie, oh yeah, I like pie
    • View Profile
    • Ledgermain Comics
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2003, 11:55:50 PM »
I wish I knew a definate site.  :(  Do a search for a no-cd patch. There is no actual no-cd patch due to the protection method in question (the disc is that badly currupted) but the no CD patch will stopp some of the read slowdowns in the game
A plan is something you make before its needed. A good plan is one you make two seconds before you need it.