Author Topic: new game ideas  (Read 1901 times)

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
new game ideas
« on: June 04, 2003, 03:05:30 PM »
I was thinking of cool ideas for new video games and thought that there might be lots of ideas floating around, especially in this forum.  I think it would be cool to hear about them...

I delivery pizzas for Papa Johns in the evenings and thought that a pizza delivery game would be kind of fun.  You'd get the driving aspect navigating whatever dark future urban center (something a la Robocop, maybe?) with a timed aspect and plenty of environmental hazards.  You could also have driving combat with rival pizza companies, cop chases if you're caught speeding or otherwise breaking the law, etc.  And then when you get to the address it could turn 1st person "shooter" and you'd face other challenges between your car door and the customers.  Players would earn a base rate per pizza, plus extra for tips depending on their effectiveness, which they would spend on various upgrades to their car or person or whatever.  

So what ideas does anyone else have?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: new game ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 03:36:19 PM »
A third person medieval sword game, with REALISTIC swordfighting - none of this taking swords to the head and walking away nonsense. Make it set during stuff like ambushes, sieges - kinda like what you play in medieval : total war, only from a different perspective.

And make it western. Why are there so many damn games set in medieval JAPAN. I mean, dunno about you, but im more interested in the history of my own country.

[/rant]
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2003, 04:32:27 PM »
You want a Medieval Western with realistic sword fights? We could call it Samurai Cowboys.

And if we're going to make a game about deadly pizza deliveries in a futuristic world, let's just use the book Snow Crash: the hero in that is a cyber-samurai pizza delivery man for the mob.

Along those same lines, I'd like to see a Ninja Burger game.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 11:26:14 PM »
Ninja Burger's out and with two supplements. Supstitute sushi for pizza, and you have Kije's game. I'll be reviewing the supplements soon (promises, promises). Next time you're out in the DC area, we'll run a game.

I have a couple ideas percolating. One of which is where everyeone are wizards, but instead of running them with "spells" I'd do it like super powers.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2003, 02:07:04 AM »
I've always thought that that's a better way of dealing with magic: moving away from the pre-fab ready-made spells and treating it more like channeling raw power in interesting ways
« Last Edit: June 05, 2003, 02:07:40 AM by Lieutenant_Kije »

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2003, 03:53:30 AM »
...hey Lt. Kije, that's exactly what I'm doing with Magic  in my Savage Worlds game!

I would love, LOVE, to see a PC Battletech game that is actually the mini game.  Turn based, maps, minis, everything.  That would be a lot of fun.  THere's some freeware programs that do this now, but I'd love to see a full blown 3D recreation of Battletech.  MechCommander just doesn't cut it.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2003, 02:55:58 PM »
Actually, Saint, I was referring to a Ninja Burger video game. I suppose it would be a platform jumper stealth game.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2003, 10:02:58 AM »
Fell and Tage know about this one.  I've always kind of thought it would be fun to do the "Classic Arcade games RPG."  

The concept is you have a Final Fantasy style RPG, with a party of character and a quest and all that.  However, when you get attacked by a monster and enter combat, you actually play some classic arcade game.  Your character classes would be based on this.  For instance, you'd have a character who was a 'centipede hunter.'  His level and skills would determine your power and super moves when you have to fight centipedes--ie, play the game 'centipede.'  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2003, 10:09:25 AM »
Doesn't that raise the problem that, in order to make the games compelling enough to play a lot, you would have to make them very detailed, which would make the game a huge effort, since you would have to make 7 games instead of one...
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2003, 01:28:38 PM »
I have a great idea for a video game. Now hear me out, don't just say, wtf is wrong with him and think ill of this.

Your that guy at the end of the parade that hsa to pick up the animal crap. Eh, eh? You can even be promoted to the guy who makes others do that job. Then if wanted you can be a clown in the parade, or the guy riding an elephant, or even one of those old dudes who ride around in those little cars, Shriners if you will. Heh, great idea huh? Ya, I know.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2003, 11:27:18 PM »
wtf is wrong with him?

*thinks ill of this*

EUOL's idea is cool, but would definitely take a LOT of preparation.

Fell's idea is cool but I'm not holding my breath.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2003, 06:54:15 AM »
Kind of the motivation behind my idea is that it would be something, conceivably, a small group could create.  All you have to do is combine classic games with a standard RPG.  However, you're right.  Game balancing, and making the classic games progress in difficulty as your characters level-up and gain new abilities, would be hard.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch