Author Topic: Eat your vegetables and play your playstation  (Read 2019 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Eat your vegetables and play your playstation
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 12:13:29 AM »
Well of COURSE gaming interferes with studying. But so does football, catching your tv shows, or going out to play or dating or anything else humans do. When are people going to realize that playing games is just something people do and it doesn't make you abnormal or produce any freakish behaviors that will make you the destroyer of worlds (unless, of course, that's the plot of your current game)?

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 02:38:24 AM »
I think the implications that video games might help people learn to multitask is the more interesting part of the article. It's something that I would hope educators and video game producers would explore more.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2003, 03:57:08 AM »
I'm too lazy to read the article.  Did it say anything about hand-eye coordination?  Everybody knows video games help with hand-eye coordination.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2003, 10:02:14 AM »
Alll it really does is suggest a (possibly minor) corellation between multitasking and video gaming. Although I agree, it's worth investigating whether the gaming causes the multitasking ability or if that ability was pre-existent.