Author Topic: Christmas Video Games  (Read 6557 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Christmas Video Games
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2003, 09:17:39 PM »
"Cricket? CRICKET?! Nobody understands cricket! You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket!"

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2003, 09:19:29 PM »
I just did a search on all the major video game retalers (gamestop, toys r us etc)  and I can't find a single cricket videogame,  heck even Amazon.com dosen't sell them.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

wolverine_men

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • GeekSpeak
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2003, 09:20:27 PM »
Cricket is not a boring sport. Anyway, since he plays soccer, you could buy him FIFA2k4.
I got one visitor today.
http://www.geekspeak.netfirms.com

wolverine_men

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • GeekSpeak
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2003, 09:21:46 PM »
EA Sports publishes the Cricket games.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 09:22:42 PM by wolverine_men »
I got one visitor today.

wolverine_men

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • GeekSpeak
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2003, 09:50:17 PM »
http://www.geekspeak.netfirms.com/crick.html
Cricket2k2 was a really challenging title and was voted as the best cricketing videogame ever by most gaming magazines.
I got one visitor today.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2003, 11:10:34 PM »
Ya but they don't sell it in the US.  There's no info that the game even exisits on their website.  They don't even have the game on their Europiean website.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2003, 02:05:04 AM »
Let's not argue about Cricket, please. It simply does not exist in any form on the US mass market--just trust us on this one. That doesn't mean that it's bad or that it doesn't exist elsewhere.

As for 42's question, Spriggan mentioned the real problem--the PC is simply not a kid-friendly game system. Platform games and action games are almost all on consoles, and there's nothing new for PS1. But I bet you could find a buying guide (or at least an age guide) on something like Gamespot or IGN.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2003, 07:57:40 AM »
This is from the telegraph (right wing, pro american paper).

The Bronx is bowled over by a new ball game
By Charles Laurence in New York
(Filed: 16/11/2003)

Cricket, a word which to most Americans suggests insects in the woods rather than the sound of leather on willow, is making an extraordinary renaissance in the land of baseball, gridiron and basketball.

Even President George W Bush, a noted baseball fan and one-time owner of the Texas Rangers team, would acknowledge its growing popularity: there are now at least 100 cricket teams in New York alone, with 5,000 players crowding 64 pitches every summer weekend.

Ten thousand more active players are registered with the United States Cricket Association in clubs spread from Paterson, New Jersey, to Chicago, California, and the president's home state of Texas. In Fort Lauderdale, Florida, the country's first purpose-built cricket stadium is under construction, and in Brooklyn, New York, the first children's Junior League opens with a newly-built playing field next April.

The new US love affair with cricket is a dream come true for the International Cricket Council, which has a freshly printed 56-page document, entitled Project USA, recommending the founding of an American professional league in time for the next World Cup in 2007.

Its members would have been heartened by the scene behind the tall brown buildings of a gritty New York housing project last week. There was not a baseball glove in sight as Trevor Singh, an 11-year-old American wearing whites, worked on keeping a straight bat under the watchful eye of Steve Massiah, 19, who is tipped as a future superstar of international cricket.

Massiah, whose earliest memories are of swinging a bat in the muddy back garden of a tin-roofed house in Guyana, was already a schoolboy star when his parents brought him to New York six years ago.

He holds a green card, entitling him to live and work in America, and dresses like a Brooklyn boy, but often lapses into the Caribbean patois of his parents' household. He boasts of a 186-run score in a 35-over game and has taken eight wickets for 25 runs as a brisk mid-paced bowler.

"My dream is to be a professional player and win Test matches," said Massiah, who has already scored three centuries for the USA national team and who has played on English county cricket grounds. "Cricket is what I do. I'd like to see international professional cricket here, but if that doesn't happen, I'll sign with an English club."

Although cricket has been played in America for at least 200 years - some claim that the first international cricket match was played between America and Canada in the 1840s - it has for decades been an obscure sport practised largely by British bankers serving time in Wall Street, a few members of the upper classes at the Philadelphia Cricket Club in Pennsylvania, or expat actors and journalists in Los Angeles.

Its status in the USA has been transformed, however, by immigrants from the Caribbean, Pakistan and India. Eighty per cent of America's players are estimated to have come from the West Indies.

"We brought the game with us, because it is our national sport and our first love," explained Paul DaSilva, a computer systems engineer who arrived from Guyana in the early 1980s and who is now chairman of the Council of the US Cricket Association.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 07:59:11 AM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2003, 07:57:53 AM »

"What's happened now is that our sons, first-generation Americans, are playing the game because the whole family goes to the park together every weekend. We are already a bigger cricket market than in the United Kingdom. Cricket may never be the game of white guys in the Midwest - but in New York and Florida and California, it's going mainstream along with the people who play it."

He was speaking at Singh's Sporting Goods, a shop in the New York borough of Queens, which has become the epicentre of American cricket culture. The shop is lined with the best bats world cricket has to offer: Slazengers, Gray Nichols, Pumas from Australia, and CAs from Pakistan, every one made with aged willow from England.

"When we were touring against English clubs in '95, we went to Lillywhites in Picadilly, which was a boyhood dream for us. Then I saw that I stock more stuff than they do! I'm selling 1,000 bats a year," said Dupaul Singh, who owns the store.

The game is becoming big business. Former Test stars such as Viv Richards turn up to play exhibition matches on the 14 pitches in Van Cortland Park in the Bronx, and contemporary Caribbean players are paid up to $10,000 for three-week guest appearances in the New York league.

"It used to be family fun on the weekends - now it's business like any other sport," said Gerald Singh, a regional director of the US Cricket Association. "It's cricket - but this is America, and world cricket is realising that as with everything else, the potential here is simply so much bigger. It won't be long before we are on television."

The first Junior League now has its own ground - and sponsorship - courtesy of the New York City parks department. Games will be played at the new Brooklyn Bridge Waterfront Park. "Why not? Cricket is the fastest-growing sport in Brooklyn," said Julius Spiegel, the department's local commissioner.

The association is now seeking a five-acre site and millions of dollars in a business deal to build a New York stadium. Even with 64 working pitches, the city's leagues can no longer find a place for all those who want to play.

Sorry about the huge quote, but the telegraph online requires registration.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 07:58:33 AM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2003, 11:35:20 AM »
what can I say? other than this alleged popularity is over stated. No one plays cricket. By which I mean, a few people do, but there's not a huge fan base, and in proportion to the population, the players are nearly insignificant

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2003, 02:35:12 PM »
Yes, what SE said. We don't deny that it's here, just that it's not here in any significant way. No matter what a right-wing British paper may suggest.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2003, 03:13:39 PM »
Sorry WM, I wasn't trying to be anal about the Cricket thing.  I just wanted to find a link to the game and was amazed I couldn't find one.  The last one that I could find that EA made was back in late 98' (cricket 99).

Oh and I've never meet anyone who's played cricket, but the east cost tends to have trends that never see the rest of the country.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2003, 03:26:42 PM »
I should point out that the US is very much like a bunch of little countries. Utah is definitely a little country unto itself. I just can't picture people playing cricket at the ski resorts or in the desert. New York, Texas and Illinois are all very flat, therefor I can see rich poeple there playing cricket. They are all alos seperate countries in a way, particularly New York, Texas and California who are loathed by their neighbors.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2003, 03:40:10 PM »
NY isn't REALLY flat, except in certain stretches. I think in certain localized areas it may be a fad that shows up, but not enough to be a national phenom.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2003, 07:50:42 PM »
Well, I guess NY has some of those hills Easteners like to think are mountains.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.