Author Topic: Christmas Video Games  (Read 8075 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Christmas Video Games
« on: November 19, 2003, 11:23:24 AM »
I'm trying to advise my older sister and my mom what video games they should get my nephew. Here's the problem, my nephew is eleven years old and is in middle school. He has a PC and a Playstation (1). Being that he is eleven, he's not quite a teen, yet no longer a kid. It's that confusing tween years.

So the video games need to be low violence and should probably not encourage any illeagle activities (unless it's really clear that the activity is illeagle and he shouldn't do it in reality). My nephew plays soccer, basketball and football, and loves to snowboard and skateboard. He likes to draw manga and super-heroes. He like fantasy and scifi books. And he keeps gerbils. He use to like Tommy the Tank Engine and Barney, but I think that was when he was three.

So suggestions? Anyone? Anyone?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Christmas Video Games
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 11:36:53 AM »
"He likes long, romantic walks on the beach and sensitive girls."

er...

any sports game by EA, probably.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 01:32:52 PM »
I wrote a bigger response, but I realized that I really have no idea what an 11-year old would understand or enjoy. If you can find a copy of Super Puzzle Fighter for PS1, that's my best suggestion. I'm afraid I'm not into sports games, so I can't recommend any of them.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 02:48:21 PM »
I don't know if he wants sports games. I think he likes actually playing sports rather than playing sports games.

And I'm trying to convert him to the gospel of scifi/fantasy geekdom. There has to be something out there.

And Fell, what do you mean you don't know what an eleven-year old boy would want? Were you grown inside a cave on a remote island? If so, I feel sorry for your little boy.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 02:52:05 PM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 03:01:29 PM »
He likes sports, he likes video games. I'd bet you sports games are a good bet. There's a big crossover there. Seriously.

And uh... don't be so hard on fell. After all, YOU'RE the one asking for suggestions for the gift.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 03:26:23 PM »
Well, I know what I wanted when I was eleven. I wanted the violent, action games like doom and stuff when I was that age. Course, there was no way my parents would have gotten me those games, which was probably good considering how messed up I got in high school.

Some day I'm going to convince my sister to let my nephew come and play at my place. Then I can introduce him to games like diablo and neverwinter nights.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 04:34:40 PM »
We didn't have video games until I was in high school, as far as I can remember--all I ever wanted at that age (that I could have) was action figures. And I still want action figures. Hm.

But let me try to think. It depends on how opposed you are to violence. Commandos 3 is a great action/strategy game with wonderful graphics and a lot of very tiny people who slit the throats of nazis and other sundry bad guys in World War 2. It's rated T, and there's no gore (becayse the graphics are so small), but the throat-slitting is there nonetheless.

I don't know--all the games I like are violent. Maybe you should go for CCGs instead, like Magic or .hack//ENEMY.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 05:07:14 PM »
otoh, RTS might be the way to go. I know that starcraft was released on at least one console platform some time ago. Have no idea how the console version played. But he has a PC too right? A lot of RTS games only have abstract violence, so that might be a lot more acceptable.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2003, 06:31:59 PM »
It came out on the N64 SE. Maybe you could try something like SimCity 4, or maybe The Sims. Or any kind of simulation. Someone I know (of a like age) has the Sims and loves it. But then again anything you get them will be put down after a few months anyways. So maybe just a savings bond or something would be better. Since we all know the economy can't go anywhere but up now. javascript:undecided()
javascript:undecided()
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2003, 08:15:26 PM »
depending on your brother/sisters view on video game violence I give you what's cool right now.  Unfortuanly a lot the popular games for that age are on the game boy advance and game cube.  You're not going to find much for someone that young on the PC, there are some games but the PC market isn't as geared twordsa that age group like consoles.

If he likes Dragon ball (and his parents wouldn't care about a beat em up game), Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 comes out the second of December.  The first one was popular and easy to play.

the Eye Toy is going to be realy hot this christmass. it had a huge selling in Japan, Europe and the US.  It basicaly is a camera that puts you into different mini-games.

You can also never go wrong with a Tony Hawk game.  

Also there are several types of raceing games depending on what he likes (cars, dirt bikes, jet skies) and kids that age like those games.

A new TMNT game is out that plays like the old arcade games (ie Fianal Fight).  So if he's a fan of the cartoon that's a good way to go.

And if he's a snowbording fan SSX3 is a great game.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2003, 08:46:24 PM »
He said playstation ONE spriggan...
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

wolverine_men

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • GeekSpeak
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2003, 09:05:26 PM »
I think you should get him either FIFA 2k4 or Cricket 2k3. That ought to make him happy.
I got one visitor today.
http://www.geekspeak.netfirms.com

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2003, 09:09:09 PM »
lol Cricket!!!! they don't even sell that here in the states.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

wolverine_men

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • GeekSpeak
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2003, 09:14:25 PM »
Actually they do- and it's fast gaining popularity among the masses
I got one visitor today.
http://www.geekspeak.netfirms.com

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2003, 09:16:29 PM »
Well, my nephew probably doesn't no what cricket is. So it will either fasinate him in its foriegness or repulse him in its boringness.