Author Topic: Warcraft III  (Read 27657 times)

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
Warcraft III
« on: June 13, 2002, 01:36:34 PM »
Hey everyone! Big news! (for many of us anyway)

Blizzard announced on their website today that Warcraft III is shipping on July 3rd!

And really. Isn't it about time?

Any votes on what their next announced project will be?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2002, 01:37:13 PM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Lord_of_Me

Re: Warcraft III
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2002, 01:49:26 PM »
what's warcraft?

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2002, 02:54:33 PM »
Blizzard's next project? I'm kind of hoping for Starcraft 2, but I think we have to wait a little longer for that one. Whatever the next project is, it will likely come from Blizzard North; all they've ever done is Diablo and Diablo 2, and they've anounced rather firmly that they're not working on Diablo 3. So it's hard to predict. I tend to think it will be a new world altogether, but I can't imagine what type of game it will be.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2002, 02:56:07 PM »
there will never be a starcraft 2...

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2002, 03:23:57 PM »
omfg u dont know what warcraft is? u havent been into computer games for long have you? man its about time for war3. next blizzard game? hmmmm. im guessing itll be a fps - that way blizzard can fulfill their habit of taking existing genres, doing sod all innovation in them and them selling 30 millions copies, half of em in south Korea - they have televised starcraft tournaments there would you believe?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2002, 05:55:12 PM »
i don't go on computer games a lot i spend more time playing tabletop and going on the internet

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2002, 07:35:40 PM »
Sorry, but I have to be truthful Lord_of_Me. I went into a slight convulsion when I saw your post asking what Warcraft was.

To explain a bit better, Warcraft and Warcraft II were made by Blizzard, the company that is better known now for Starcraft. The earlier games were set in a fantasy world with a Humans vs. Orcs premise that has evolved a bit over the years. They were both groundbreaking in their day (isn't every Blizzard game in one way or another?) and were both Real-time Strategy games, essentially early versions of Starcraft. Going back to them now feels really clunky since they didn't have user interfaces figured out as well then, but they were incredible strategy games in their day.

I personally wouldn't guess Blizzard would make a First Person Shooter game. There have been many attempts by non-FPS companies to break into the genre and all of them have pretty much failed. Not to say that Blizzard couldn't do it, but...it seems to me that there is more fertile ground out there. Also, the fans that their previous games have attracted tend to be more of the non-FPS crowd anyway.

As EUOL pointed out, guessing at the nature of an entirely new project is difficult, and Blizzard North is due for a release, assuming that logic holds. A Starcraft game is highly unlikely to come out of Blizzard North, since that's a Blizzard title and they tend to keep their works separate. I also wouldn't expect another MMORPG to compete with World of Warcraft. I guess I have more to say about what I don't think they'll turn out next than what they will. If we're unlucky, it will be an expansion for Warcraft III. They like to come out with an expansion soon after a game releases. Of anything I could guess, that would be the most likely.

I suppose I ought to make a legitimate guess since I started this anyway. Let's go with a sci-fi genre (details don't matter, as Blizzard worlds aren't really very original anyway) ...can't be a RTS since that would just be Starcraft all over again...I already said not a FPS or a MMORPG...I don't think adventure games make enough money for Blizzard's tastes...um....for lack of better options, how about a Role-Playing Game?
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2002, 09:59:38 PM »
I think a Blizzard FPS is definitely a possibility. After all, if they'll do someting as out-of-character as a MMORPG then there's really no telling what they will or won't do. It would be great if they did an RPG, though I'd appreciate something closer to Fallout than Diablo.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2002, 10:37:10 PM »
their next game is actually a MMORPG based on Warcraft.  but you probaly mean next game to be announced.  i realy don't care, Diablo is the only blizzard game I like.  anyway I do know that starcraft 2 is useing the warcraft 3 engine so i wouldn't be suprised if it came out late next year.

Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2002, 10:16:46 AM »
Sigh.  More RTS games.  Why can't more games be as cool as Serious Sam?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2002, 01:56:26 PM »
lol.... serious sam

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2002, 02:06:21 PM »
I would like to see something new.  And I would especially like to see something that is not a MMORPG.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2002, 02:07:46 PM »
something new???
what is this strange word (new)

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2002, 08:35:46 PM »
No fooling about not wanting another Blizzard MMORPG. I'm looking forward to World of Warcraft, but those MMO games take way too long to review.

Now that I think about Blizzard North more though, it's possible they're still working full-time just to fix Diablo II.

sigh
« Last Edit: June 14, 2002, 08:57:25 PM by Prometheus »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2002, 09:26:56 PM »
i have hear that Blizzard has been tossing around ideas for Diablo 3, they want to make a true 3d game like dungeon seige.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.