Author Topic: Silent Storm...  (Read 6421 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Silent Storm...
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2004, 07:50:46 AM »
Ya noticed that after the post, but he should mention who the judges are.  

See the reason I'm mentioning this stuff is that if we're going to start doing contests we need to make sure the rules are clear and all that mumbo jumbo, I beleave we're required by law to have certain things.  The more things that are there for people to follow the less of a chance of someone crying foul.  I know we're not a huge site, and that just about anyone who would enter the contest we know through the forum, but we should plan on that not happening.  We need to make these as legit as we can, I know I'm just repeating myself, but this is important.  Fell needs to sit down and figure out some general guidelines that most of these contests should follow so he can just reuse them.  And, dare I say it, staff members should not be allowed to enter.  If he dosen't do these things there will be trouble in the future.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2004, 08:56:53 AM »
uh... if staff members aren't allowed to enter, then who's going to enter? There are like 3 people on the board who aren't officially on the staff list -- and a while back we talked about being more organized, nearly everyone was to be on the list. Wizards didn't have a problem with allowing employees to enter the setting contest a while back.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2004, 09:02:47 AM »
I take staff members more as the editors and deparment heads, IE Fell, Tage, EUOL, me and SE.  We're the ones that have access to the site and server so we shouldn't be allowed to enter.  Everyone else is are writers, almost freelance from how the site is run atm.  I should have expalined that better, but that's just how I see it in my mind.  And I don;t mean to offend anyone who does only write articels.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2004, 11:49:36 AM »
Well, I won and I'm officially a staff member, but I'm not really a staff member.  I haven't written an article in something like eleven months.

Now, just to prove myself wrong, I've finally submitted another article.

And you all should have entered because Silent Storm is frickin' awesome.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2004, 12:40:12 PM »
Sprig brings up a very good point in that we need to start using these contests as traffic builders. These past two I've kind of looked at as rewards for the regulars rather than draws for new people (though we did, oddly enough, draw some abortive interest from Quark)--and yes, I do consider them rewards despite the level of work required, because most of you already write reviews for free, and this is a way of compensating you. For that reason (and because I see no reason to do it) I'm not limiting the contests to non-staff members.

As for criteria, what else do you want to know? I was pretty clear in the first contest that I would be judging the entries myself, but I forgot to mention that this time around. I'll go add it in. Anything else you want to know?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Onion of Death

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2004, 06:35:21 PM »
Well, I won and I'm officially a staff member, but I'm not really a staff member.  I haven't written an article in something like eleven months.

Now, just to prove myself wrong, I've finally submitted another article.

And you all should have entered because Silent Storm is frickin' awesome.

Seriously. You should all go buy it.

The only problem I have with it is now I am being consantly owned by these Panzerklein thingies. Somehow, I can only move them like 5ft/per turn and they can chase me down with them.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2004, 08:48:32 AM »
I think you should have set a minimun word limit.  And had an explination of our webcomic review criteria (or a link to EUOLs old explination if it's on site).  I still think deparment heads, and editors (ie people that have access to edit articels and upload to the site) should be void from entering for obviously reasons (they could edit entries and such), I have no problems with staff writers since they are mostly people that come to TWG for others reasons and kind enough to do articels for us.  Even if you don't keep deparment heads from entering I never will enter one because I don't think its right if I do.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2004, 03:56:44 PM »
Feel free to never enter, though I still don't understand your problem with it. They can edit entries? And they're going to go in and screw with everyone else's review to make their own look better? Nobody that has that kind of access would do that, or I wouldn't have given them that kind of access. And since I asked for all entries to be sent to my email, it's not even possible.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 04:12:17 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2004, 06:35:14 PM »
*sigh* You're just not grasping what I'm saying here.  It's not that I think someone that has access to the site, even if they had the ability to do so, would defraud it.  See I know that and so do you and all the other frequrent posters.  But the people that don't come here all that often, or read the forums have no idea who can do what. And would think there was somthing up.
There's also another angle wich is the game company itself.  I don;t know if you're requesting extra copies to give away, but think how it would look to a publisher/deveoper employe that came to the site to follow up on the contest and they find you giveing the game to your brother, or someone else you've know for a long that that works for the site.  I'd be furious, and woudn't send you anything anymore.  It would seam that you were conning the company, they don't know how you run things or what the relationships are on this site.  Do you think if people saw that happening more often then not they'd take your word for it?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 06:35:58 PM by Spriggan »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2004, 07:25:59 PM »
That's a fairly good point, and yes I do know what you're trying to say. The unfortunate truth is that if someone from a game company actually visited this site they'd probably stop sending us games altogether--we're not all that big. The fact that my brother was the only person to enter the previous contest would be far more infuriating than the fact that my brother won a prize.

Encore has volunteered to send us retail copies for use in contests--it appears to be standard practice for them. I am trying to distribute them as best I can, and cutting out the majority of our readers just because I know them seems like a pretty bad idea.

Anyway, while you've been griping about how I didn't specify word count, I've been advertising the contest on other sites and message boards. Pulling in more people will make the contest bigger and greatly increase the chances that the prize will not go to someone we know. It seems like a better solution to a bigger problem.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2004, 10:11:02 AM »
You know, call me a purist, but this game really ticked me off when the Panzerkleins showed up.  Aside from the 'big scary dude' problem Fell mentioned in the review, I just hate the fact that they can't make a striaght WWII game and they feel like they have to toss in sci-fi nonsense.  Once the Panzerkleins show up, the feel of the game totally changes -- for the worse.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2004, 09:29:14 AM »
so has anyone else entered this contest? My review was a bit wordy, but it's in, at least.