Author Topic: Bad Cartoons (and games) Make Bad Citizens  (Read 1384 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Bad Cartoons (and games) Make Bad Citizens
« on: May 27, 2004, 10:57:05 PM »
http://www.techcentralstation.com/052704B.html

interesting article, he actually talks at least as much about violent games as he does about violent cartoons.

Opinions?

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
Re: Bad Cartoons (and games) Make Bad Citizens
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 04:16:10 AM »
Whoa, he sounded so practical and funny at first.  But near the end I swear I could hear him shouting.

Interesting report, and in many parts I agree with him:
Consider also violent video games. According to Jones, most children know perfectly well that video games aren't reality. Kids understand video games for what they are: caricatured representations of a mock-reality, not reality itself.

However, he seems to stereotype people just as easily as everyone he's opposing ("Raising men is a job for men, not bureaucrats").  And that makes it difficult for me to take him seriously.  It's hard for me to listen to someone who stereotypes whole generations of people.  I like his point, but he needs to keep it practical and calm.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 04:59:59 AM »
I've heard a lot of those arguments before, however, this guy doesn't have a very tight case. Is it just me or does he ramble a lot?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 07:34:04 AM »
actually, reading that and a few of his others reminded me a lot of Montagne. I think he's got a witty spin on a lot of things. I don't always agree with him, but remember, he's writing for "techcentralstation" not the New Republic or anything.

No, his arguments aren't air tight. And yes, his organization is weak (it takes at LEAST half the essay to get to any sort of thesis), but I don't think he's trying to convince anyone. I think he's writing politically to entertain, rather than to convince.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 08:24:49 AM »
Well, it wasn't that entertaining. 2 stars at best.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 08:57:41 AM »
I disagree. I think his style was very interesting. I was entertained.
I think this has to do with expectations. You were expecting a solid argument with an objective. However, the person who linked me to it hadnt' read it. She just saw "Superfriends" and thought because of my comic book interest that it would be interesting to me. So I expected a nostalgia fest, and instead I found a witty presentation of an opinion. I liked.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 01:39:34 PM »
Interesting enough I have an essay due on this subject, with this opinion, on tuesday.  Thanks for another source... we need a minimum of five.

Which obviously shows I agree with the guy, but his structure was weird and he bounced around a bit too much, I think.  I didn't really enjoy it too much but it brings up some interesting points, not unlike most pro-violent video game advocates.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!