Author Topic: Palladium messes up big time  (Read 6408 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Palladium messes up big time
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2004, 09:18:17 AM »
ugg, while I like Tactical RPGS, I think going with a low rez-16 bit graphics over 3d was a mistake since the N-Gauge can actauly do PS1 quality stuff.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Nicadymus

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2004, 11:08:38 AM »
You know... I hate to say it, but this is almost enough for me to abandon RIFTS altogether, and go over to D20 Modern.

How could KS resort to such crap when there are so many better options available?
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2004, 11:16:06 AM »
Because as many have said, Nokia saught him out and kissed his butt.  KS is a control freak, and I doubt until now he actualy had an offer that allowed him the control he wanted.  Also several Palladium people have stated that what they want from this game is to generate enough intrest in RIFTS as a licenece for more things.

Of course grahics don't allwayse do a game justice, it could he a very good game.  What I'm, and others, are annoyed with is that if it is good it's stuck on a crappy game system that we wont buy even if the game gets a perfect 10.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Rican

• Level 5
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2004, 11:19:11 AM »
The whole reason this is going on is due to that is about one simple fact.  The $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2004, 11:40:42 AM »
I agree Sprig.  They could have done something, say on xbox, with xbox live for interaction capabilities, and possibly rivaled HALO...possibly.  Or they could have done something on a PS2 level where you don't get as much interaction, but still have produced a game that would be much better, and more widely received, in my opinion, that putting it N-Gage.  Take Final Fantasy series for an example.  I really enjoyed VII and would have purchased a RIFTS thing for PS2 had it had a feel similar to that.  Granted, I prefer mutliplayer capability in any game as I usually have somebody over and we beat the crap out of each other or the computer, but there is potential to do something like that on both the PS2 and the XBOX and I know a lot more people who won those systems.

It is just frustrating because I know the potential that this game could have, but I don't feel that KS will be able to reach that potential on the platform he has chosen.

Hopefully, this N-Gage move will give him a starting point to better negotiate a contract with one of the major systems, but I am afraid that it will end up being a black hole as there is just not enough users of the N-gage system.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Rican

• Level 5
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2004, 02:07:05 PM »
I have to agree with Nicadymus and Spriggan.  Hopefully, the N-Gage a system that suck on a hole new level will move to a better system.  This game have the greatest potential to make Halo look like a kids game, but only if they do it right.  You can go either shot the up CS style like Halo or a RPG game base on magic and spells.  The sky is unlimited in this world.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2004, 03:24:10 PM »
Well, sure, if you're going to compare it Halo and CS and Final Fantasy any game's going to look crappy. The big question is whether or not Palladium could have landed a developer capable of doing something at that level; I have to think that, at this point, they couldn't. By starting with the N-Gage they can put out a cool game which no one will play but industry insiders, but when those insiders see the potential more doors will open and better developers will be available on better systems.

Look at Games Workshop: how many times have they tried to do video games, and they all suck. Now that they've worked up enough interest, however, they were able to get Relic and have apparently produced a really good game in Dawn of War.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2004, 03:49:24 PM »
Yes... because Chaos Gate and Dark Omen were both crap games.

Oh wait, no they weren't.

But yes, Dawn of War is very good. Though the Single Player campaign was a bit small and petite.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 03:50:30 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Rican

• Level 5
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2004, 12:19:05 PM »
I see your point, Fellfrosch, but it is going to take to long to get a good game out into the market.  I am worried that the market for this game will be ruined due to it being on the N-Gage.  A system that sucks no matter how you look at it.  

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2004, 07:23:30 PM »
I can understand that the N-Gage is a stepping stone, and can respect that.  I still don't know if I think it was the wisest move to be made.

I want to play the game because I think it will be fun, and want to support Palladium, but I won't get an N-Gage just for the game.  I think that there are a lot of people out there with that opinion, and that is my concern.  It won't do as well as expected because not everyone who is interested will pick-up a whole new system just for that game.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2004, 06:55:03 AM »
Here's something that shows why no one will buy an N-Gauge:

http://www.gamespot.com/mobile/rpg/kingdomhearts/preview_6109704.html

That's kingdom hearts for a moblie phone, and no it's not for the n-gauge, it's in 3D and looks as good as most PS1 games.  Don't know which phones it's for since there's no info on that on GS or disneys site.

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2004, 11:43:52 AM »
Sprig... I don't know if you are trying to make things better or worse?  Are you trying to tempt me with what could/should have been done for the RIFTS world, or are you just trying to rub it in my face that I am not getting what I want when I know that it is possible, or a little of both?   ;)   ;D

Either way, I think that comparing what Disney can get backing for and Palladium can get backing for are 2 different things, to conceed what others would argue.

However, knowing that there is a way to get the kind of quality I desire for the RIFTS game, on a mobile platform, although I don't necessarily want a mobile platform for it, does damage KS's starting point even more, in my opinion.
Boogie woogie woogie!!