Author Topic: Palladium messes up big time  (Read 6449 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Palladium messes up big time
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2004, 12:25:47 AM »
Knowing Palladium as I do, here's my best guess: Nokia offered them the best "no-risk" deal, essentially offering to bear the full cost of development and distribution (and failure) while still cutting Palladium in on the profits. Nokia is the most desperate platform by quite a wide margin, so they probably see this as a last-ditch chance to build a player base and save themselves. From what I hear, Nokia's entire E3 presentation lived and died with Rifts.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2004, 03:28:36 AM »
Several Palladium staff members over on their forums aslo pointed out that even if the game dosen't take off as well as it could (becasue it's on the N-Gage) that their primary goal has allready been acheived, and that is bringing a lot of attention to Palladium and hopefuly that will bring more developers to Palladiums door (and willing to agree to Kevins terms).  Also I think this is the start of building up intrest in RIFTS for the movie.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2004, 03:58:12 AM »
Almost certainly--and since the movie is "optioned" but not officially "in production," they might be using the game as a way of convincing the movie guys that they're serious about promoting their franchise. I just hope the game does better than the CCG, or Siembieda might never stick his toe in the product spinoff waters again.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2004, 04:01:59 AM »
You just made me think of somethign Fell, maybe one of the reason Kevin went with Nokia is that since there's a smaller market that has the N-Gage then other consoles the RIFTS game dosen't have to sell a lot of units to be considered a sucess.  It's good for the ego and for pointing out the popularity of the title.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2004, 03:45:25 PM »
Ah, very likely. I imagine he'll get the game out, wait for it to be as rousing a success as is possible on the N-Gage, and then sell the rights to port it onto other platforms.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2004, 10:53:03 PM »
Another interview, which confirms a lot of what we thought: Nokia impressed Siembieda by being Rifts fans, not by showing any kind of realistic business model or player base. This is actually a pretty good interview, though, despite dodging some very hard questions toward the end.

http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/viewtopic.php?t=21267

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2004, 11:32:42 PM »

But you're a micro-manager! You'd never let anyone else do anything unless you did it yourself!

Where'd you get that nonsense?

Online.

Well, according to the people online, I don't know anything about what's online, because I'm never online. So there.

that made me laugh

Just FYI that interview Fell posted (that I'm quoteing from) is Kevin interviewing himself.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 11:33:18 PM by Spriggan »

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2004, 12:16:36 AM »
Wow, I think they should be able to name a whole new nuerosis based on Kevin Sembienda. They should call it the Palladium syndrom or something like that.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2004, 12:32:36 AM »
I'm actualy reading a post on RPG.net (shutters) where Kevin actualy responds to a thread about palladium (and it was confirmed by many ex and current palladium emploies to be him) where KS and Bill Coffin trade blows at each other.

I did learn that KS dosne't use computers for layout of the books, he does them all by hand.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 12:33:27 AM by Spriggan »

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2004, 02:20:20 AM »
I shouldn't be surprised, palladium books look like they were laid out by hand. It makes me wonder if Kevin S. is trying to travel back in time by acting as antiquated as possible.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2004, 03:16:03 AM »
Well people that hate palladium's layout claim so.  But his reason for doing it is becasue he's very fast at doing it that way.  

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2004, 03:30:07 AM »
I guess if you really suck with a computer, then the old way of laying things out would be faster, otherwise laying things out without a computer takes FOREVER. It adds like a gazillion steps.

Hence, chock that up to another concern as to why a Palladium-based video game is going to bite.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2004, 04:02:23 AM »
Well I don't think that's a fair statment 42.  Just because that's the way he prefers to do it doesn't mean he's computer illerate or that the game will suck.  I know you don't like the layouts and that we've allready had this conversation in other threads and it's not nessacery to keep on beating a dead horse.  Kevin isn't codeing the game or devloping it, he's makeing sure the game have the "feel" of rifts that's all.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2004, 09:30:21 AM »
must... refrain.. from... biting... sarcasm.....

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2004, 12:16:17 AM »
Why would you want to bite sarcasm?