Author Topic: City of Heroes  (Read 24324 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: City of Heroes
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2004, 07:36:51 AM »
*hurk!*
Entropy, let me teach you about the "resize" tool that appears in EVERY SINGLE GRAPHICS EDITOR ON THE PLANET.

It's not that hard, y'know, and it doesn't choke a camel when smaller pictures are downloaded.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2004, 09:57:07 AM »
ok, well, something is weird with zippy, so pictures take a year and a half to download. I have no idea why. Maybe it's just me.

I'm still playing with the formatting on the current blog entry so don't give me any grief for a few hours.

What I think is cool about CoH is that of all the screenshots I've seen (admittedly, I don't scour for them, but I've seen a few) I haven't seen much of a repetition of costumes. They're all unique. THat says a lot for the engine.

OH, and Ms. Meltdown is my new crush.

edit: yeah, I finished formatting. I still don't like all the negative space there, but I'm not prepared to do anymore tweaking today on it. I have a real job too.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2004, 07:33:36 PM »
Well, that was awkward.

I was using my female character on Triumph server (a level 9 scrapper with claws and dark armour. Named SideSwiped Girl. I liked the name so much i decided to copy it). And there was this male character. As part of a 7 and 8 person team we had rampaged through Perez Park, but when we met up again after I went offline for an hour, it was wierd. When I was complaining about how bad dark armour looked, he said 'Yeah, but you look so hot underneath it'. Kinda disconcerting. If he had said 'Your character looks...' then yeah, fair enough. I've said the same myself. But by cutting out the character bit, it made for a rather strange reading on my end. (Though on one level, it was pleasing. The character is a work of art and someone has complimented my skill at assembling a good looking visage).

Then, after we took the train, and I was waiting for him while he lagged badly through the loading sequence on the roof of the station (no superhero would be caught dead on the ground, of course), this other guy turned up. And he just walked around my character and copied my emotes (sitting down, reading paper etc). I feel compelled to note that he spent a while hovering at an angle that meant his character was staring right up the skirt of my sitting character. He only responded after I, exasperated, did so. Funny thing was, when the first guy eventually loaded they looked like they were about to have a deathmatch right there. Stared at each other, activated defensive powers, made their weapons appear etc... very amusing. Should have taken a screenshot.

But this second guy... he took care to ask what timezone I was in, and how old I was (even repeating the question when I carefully ignored it the first time). He was a 17 year old guy in america (i assume that from the fact he was 5 hours behind me). And he talked like a chimpanzee on drugs. 'How age are you?' As I was quitting he also asked eagerly whether he would see me tomorrow. Erg... I may need to check up on the options for ignoring people in CoH.

All in all, massively disconcerting. This never happened with my other female characters on the Pinnacle server. Admittedly one of them was a woman in a business suit but still. (It amuses me greatly that all of my characters except Entanaught wear 'normal' clothes, as opposed to the goofy spandex of everyone else. The business suit was the ultimate expression of this. Although in deference to the genre i gave her a mysterious cloth over her mouth blue spots on her brows).

And i'd just like to close with the following thought : The odds of you, a geek playing a pc game, finding a women online who not only was in your geographical area but who was single and interested in you is somewhat less remote than the possibility of intelligent life on mars. That is to say, non-existant.  I simply don't understand the people who worship women in IRC chatrooms and ingames. I mean, it's not like you have a chance of going out with them, so why act all giggly and moronic around them? Yet a large number of people online do just that. Nerds. Even if I regard a character as hot, i'm not gonna act like a lovesick puppy around her. Not only is she controlled by a guy most likely, but she is a damn computer game character. Have sense people.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 07:55:47 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2004, 08:21:32 PM »
I can make a guy on Pinnacle (or a girl).

Also, I hadn't realized how dark some of my screenshots were, especially Sergeant Freeze. That's what I get for taking them at night, I suppose.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 08:24:47 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2004, 02:31:31 AM »
Erm.... wow Im glad things are improving for your wife, thats a horrible experience to go through.

When she's better you need to spend some extra personal time with her, she's bound to be a little depressed about the baby.

Freaky...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2004, 09:57:28 AM »
(posted that to the wrong thread, Jeffe)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2004, 10:44:04 AM »
sorry linked from the thread to discuss the column

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2004, 02:54:26 AM »
This thread seemes like fine place to discuss it, since this is the thread that links from the article.

She's kind of conflicted about the baby--she's very glad that she doesn't have to be pregnant while recovering from surgery, but on the other hand it's always sad to lose a baby, even this early (our very first pregnancy miscarried at five weeks).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2004, 02:33:31 PM »
k, now i get it. Fell told me he was going to be absent, so I didn't even *think* to check that there might have been something on a SATURDAY. So I just read the sixth blog entry today.

I'll shut my yap now.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2004, 01:25:07 PM »
there's been some more blogging.

Fell, I need more pictures if you want these blogs illustrated.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2004, 09:35:45 AM »
yay! More blogging!

edit: Now with a pretty picture! Spaaace Ghooooooooooooooost!

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2004, 01:00:48 PM »
Copyediting question: is the caption supposed to be "Who the more beefy?" or "Who's the more beefy?"--i.e., was that on purpose?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2004, 01:50:38 PM »
I did it on purpose. Feel free to hate and change it though.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2004, 05:26:20 PM »
So, the trade news from Gen-con is out, and for all of you out of the know the sequel to COH, City of Villains has been announced.

One of the writers is Shane Hensley of Pinnacle games... which is way cool.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2004, 08:43:50 PM »
I'm very pleased that Hensley's gotten involved. City of Villains looks like it's going to be amazing.